Quantcast

Scott High Octane 2005 BB Width?

kebarb

Chimp
Apr 8, 2007
Anyone knows the BB width of the High Octane DH 2005?

The all black model, that came AFTER black/yellow and before Black/grey.

It came with Race Face Evolve DH 32/22 as original cranks but i dont know what with and cant measure the frame or the cranks because i dont have them right now.

2004 was 68/73m, and 2006 was 83mm. But i dont know if they changed this 05 or 06.

Also i want to know the rear hub spacing, is it 135mm/10mm or 150mm/12mm on the all black 2005 model?

Thanks!

//K

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It was a 73mm bb shell and so was the grey and black one as well as the last white one. The High Octane never got the 83mm bb shell. The Gambler was the shift to 83mm for a stiffer rear end due to more room to widen the main pivot.

kebarb

Chimp
Apr 8, 2007
Well, maybe there is a difference between european and US specs?

I am quite positive that the grey/black european model is 83mm, because it's sold with 83mm cranks, also they went from 135mm to 150mm rear hub.

Looks like this fram has to short crank axle, thus wider BB shell then axle.

See image below:
http://happymtb.org/forum/file.php/1/file=114215

Or bottom of this page:
http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/1261776/page=2

I just dont know wich models are wich?

//K

It was a 73mm bb shell and so was the grey and black one as well as the last white one. The High Octane never got the 83mm bb shell. The Gambler was the shift to 83mm for a stiffer rear end due to more room to widen the main pivot.

Last edited:

kebarb

Chimp
Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for the input, but i dont have the bike, i am about to order the frame. Thus, i cannot measure, and i cannot rely on seller information.

Otherwise a ruler would be the very best way.

If you look at the image of the frame, you will understand why i ask this.

And i have also been offered another Octane frame, wich is fitted with at 83mm crankset from race face.

This is why i am very cunfused regarding this issue.

//K

have you tried a ruler?

also, I would trust what buckoW says, seeing as how he works at Scott...

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah, I do ride and work for them. I have had a couple High Octanes and all the ones I had were 73mm/150mm. The Race Face Diabolus cranks that come stock on the completes are 73mm. The frame is a 73mm bb width and we made the Gambler 83mm so the main pivot could be wider and get a better chainline. I am positive the frame is 73mm.

kebarb

Chimp
Apr 8, 2007
Ok, thanks.

But pls, have a look at the picture in the link abobe. How come that the cranks are missing 10mm? This is a set of Hone cranks.

//K

Yeah, I do ride and work for them. I have had a couple High Octanes and all the ones I had were 73mm/150mm. The Race Face Diabolus cranks that come stock on the completes are 73mm. The frame is a 73mm bb width and we made the Gambler 83mm so the main pivot could be wider and get a better chainline. I am positive the frame is 73mm.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
There could be drive side spacers with a bb mounted chainguide? I don't know. I do know that the frame has a 73mm bb. Are you sure you want an Octane? The Gambler works so much better. I don't know how much you are paying or what shock you want to run but I know some good set up tips if you want to get the most out of the Octane.

dr jekyll

Chimp
Dec 6, 2009
BuckoW do you know if the nitrous and high octane have the same dropouts?
Thinking if there is possible to change between those 2 bikes ??

// svein

dr jekyll

Chimp
Dec 6, 2009
i want to have 12mm thru axl on a incoming high octan black ( 06?) i have 135-12mm dorpouts on my nitrous ten 06. But i wonder the kid iam bying the octane of informed me that he have 150-qr (10mm?) and go by an shimano Xt hub? sounds strange i think the xt doesnt exist in 150mm, not what i know or can imagine ...

But if you say its the same dropouts on those it makes my day, dont like qr and open axl holes ;)

//svein

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The black one is from before the IDS dropout system. That bike has a 135mm QR hub. I wouldn't get one from before the 12mm thru axle dropouts. The gray one is the first year they had the thru axle on the rear.

dr jekyll

Chimp
Dec 6, 2009
I got the answer on my que in a form of a pic from the time beeing owner .
The black 05 does not have IDS dropout system and it have 68-73bb .
Darn i was hungry 4 that frame, it had the right price .

is there any weekness i suppose to know about the black 05 in order, or is the better to look 4 a 06-...

Ps: Gambler is not an option ;)

//svein

Last edited:

kebarb

Chimp
Apr 8, 2007
I am looking in the price range of $200 USD, if more i wont buy. This is for frame and shock.

I already have the -04 octane, just want another bike for my friends to borrow. Thought that the Octane is a pretty straight object to lend as it is not very difficult to setup or service, also its adjustable according to rider preferences and rider height.

Maybe the cranks are off center because of chainguide as someone mentions..

Very strange way for someone to mount the cranks, as you see in the pictures.

//K

There could be drive side spacers with a bb mounted chainguide? I don't know. I do know that the frame has a 73mm bb. Are you sure you want an Octane? The Gambler works so much better. I don't know how much you are paying or what shock you want to run but I know some good set up tips if you want to get the most out of the Octane.

dr jekyll

Chimp
Dec 6, 2009
What special tools do i need to get the pivot from the frame , is it only to press the axel after i turn loose the insex??

//svein