Quantcast

Scratch on inner fork leg, how bad is it?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Your bike will self destruct in 10 seconds....

:D seriously though, scratches on the stanchion always suck. It sounds like you will be ok running it that way for a while if you can barely feel it but...

Any imperfections on the stanchion have the potential to wear out your seals and bushings faster than normal. Eventually you will probably want to replace the uppers.

I know there have been suggestions made in other threads as to how to buff a scratch out of a stanchion but I have never tried it myself so I don't know how effective it is.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
you call that a scratch?

hit it with a fine flat file then use your womans panty hose to see if it snags, otherwise keep filing,

personally I wouldnt worry about it too much, that is nothing compared to all of my uppers on the race bikes
I've only ridden it around 5 times which makes me extra sensitive to scratches ;) just don't want to ruin the seals or bushings I know it's small, just wanted to be sure, gonna try with a wet sand paper with grit size around P1500 tomorrow.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I've only ridden it around 5 times which makes me extra sensitive to scratches ;) just don't want to ruin the seals or bushings I know it's small, just wanted to be sure, gonna try with a wet sand paper with grit size around P1500 tomorrow.
no!.....you will damage the coating on the stanchion, use a file only on the high spots of the scratch..

sand paper will make it worse

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
GFF is right. If your woman's pantyhose snags on it, file it down with a fine METAL FILE. DO NOT USE sand paper or an emery board. Something that small is bound to happen and will happen again. I personally wouldn't even worry about it.

mexMan

Chimp
Jun 27, 2011
Keep using your bike, it'll be okay until it breaks, and it won't happen if you don't ride it.