Quantcast

Screws for discs

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
Tell me folks, why the hell is it that the brake manufactorers can't make proper screws/allen screws (or whatever they are called) for mounting discs onto hubs!?

I mean seriouly, the Hayes and Magura star allen things are crap. You have to have the key centered to perfection (which is nearly impossible since the are wiggly and giggly) to not mess it up and ruin the screws. The only ones I have tried that were nearly good were hopes and I use these now.

C'mon brake guys! Make some proper ones. I don't care about weight and looks - it screws for God's sake. Just make something that works and doesn't make you worry, and be mad cause it takes you 15mins to get a damn disc off the hub.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
I have seen hex/allen head screws for rotor bolts and used to have a few on my bike...so they are out there. I got them form random LBS when I stripped my rotor bolts.

Go to the hardware store and find them (bring your star-head screws with you so you get the right size, of course).

-OR-

Learn to put your body weight over the tool (pushing down really hard with your palm) before you turn the rotor bolts.

-OR-

go get one of those neato tools from park that is like 1 foot long and has a handle to grip and turn...looks like this:

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
ROTOR BOLTS! Now I know what they're called. Thanx.

Okay I'll try that, but I just can't believe that the brake guys can't make ehm better. And those small allen keys impossible to get a hold off...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Those crap star allen things are called torx head bolts, and they really aren't crap for getting stuff torqued down really tight. Assuming the bolt head doesn't shear off you can get a lot more torque out of a torx head than a standard socket head because the torx shape resists rounding out. I got a set of torx bits for like $10 at an auto parts store and I use my ratchet to drive the bolts. Plus I can put them on my torque wrench so I know how tight they are and I don't shear off the heads or strip the threads. I really don't see a problem with the torx bolts other than you don't have the proper tools. With my Avid brakes there was even a little note saying that the supplied wrench was intended for emergency repair only and a good torx wrench should be used under normal circumstances.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
The 2.5 torx bit is pretty common, I used my 10 dollar park torx driver to take off the tranny filter on a 95 dodge neon the other day. Truely a multi-purpose tool!

As a sidenote, I've never stripped out a torx bit in my life and I've torqued them down pretty heavily.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Remember torque heads that the rotor bolts only need to be torqued to 55 in/lbs. That's not much. I've never had them come loose and never had a bolt strip out when I removed it either. Don't use the torx keys that come with the brakes either. Get a quality torx bit or driver for the job.

Mike

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
How are you destroying Torx head screws? They are much more durable than Allen heads. Torxs was designed in part to be installed by machines.

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I've striped some allen head rotor bolts, and just went to the hardware store and got some 5mm ( I belive) bolts with flathead heads. they work just fine.
zak

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Why can't everyone just use one standard...hex..screw...torx...If Torx rocks so much, why doesn't everyone just use Torx?

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Torx is the way to go, but somehow its uncommon in the bike industry. i was surprised to see Hayes use torx for their rotor bolts. but happily surprised.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I've found that some(not all) water bottle cage bolts are the same thread and pitch as the rotor bolts. A freind of mine is running all hex head (from water bottle cages) bolts. I've yet to have any problems with the Torx head stuff. I've got a T25 screwdriver and a socket as well, they both work much better then the one provided with the rotors.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
or reason 9999999999 not to buy hopes, allen head rotor bolts :thumbsdown:

What is your gripe with torx? It's actually a superior system plus with a torx bolt you are more certain you have a quality hardened fastener, with a socket head there's a lot of uncertainty, I see stainless socket head bolt heads shear off all day long.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Kornphlake said:
or reason 9999999999 not to buy hopes, allen head rotor bolts :thumbsdown:

What is your gripe with torx? It's actually a superior system plus with a torx bolt you are more certain you have a quality hardened fastener, with a socket head there's a lot of uncertainty, I see stainless socket head bolt heads shear off all day long.
Really? I have never seen allen head bolts shear off, thats a new one for me. My only issue with torx is if you need to pull a rotor on the trail you best have a torx wrench handy. Most eveyone carries a allen set when out riding. Plus you can always buy heat treated bolts for your rotors if its that big of a deal. I'm not dissing torx products, but since the industry is allen, its easier to deal with.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Really? I have never seen allen head bolts shear off, thats a new one for me. My only issue with torx is if you need to pull a rotor on the trail you best have a torx wrench handy. Most eveyone carries a allen set when out riding. Plus you can always buy heat treated bolts for your rotors if its that big of a deal. I'm not dissing torx products, but since the industry is allen, its easier to deal with.
You've never seen sheared off allen bolts because the allen hole will strip WAY before there are enough forces to shear the head off. An allen bolt is structurally the same as a torx, there's just a different shaped hole on the top of it.

I carry a park tools torx driver on the trail with me, it's not that heavy and it fits just fine in my little tool bag that I have strapped to my camelback.

Edit- Wrong thing to discuss, he was talking about regular hex-head socket bolts shearing off which can happen......

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Brian HCM#1 said:
My only issue with torx is if you need to pull a rotor on the trail you best have a torx wrench handy. Most eveyone carries a allen set when out riding. Plus you can always buy heat treated bolts for your rotors if its that big of a deal. I'm not dissing torx products, but since the industry is allen, its easier to deal with.
:stupid:

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I've also seen a lot of bike multi-tools that have a 2.5 torx bit in them, I can't name a particular one but I know they're out there.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
zane said:
You've never seen sheared off allen bolts because the allen hole will strip WAY before there are enough forces to shear the head off. An allen bolt is structurally the same as a torx, there's just a different shaped hole on the top of it.

I carry a park tools torx driver on the trail with me, it's not that heavy and it fits just fine in my little tool bag that I have strapped to my camelback.

Edit- Wrong thing to discuss, he was talking about regular hex-head socket bolts shearing off which can happen......
So theres a difference between a heat treated torx and a heat treated hex :confused: I highly doubt that. have seen striped out hex heads, but easy to get out with a set of channel-locks or vise grips.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Brian is being beat out on the hopes thing for once! Torx are for sure the best, ps. they are lighter (the wrenches).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Nah, I've only had 1 or 2 issues with damaged bolt heads, thats because someone else installed them. Plus I'm a real rebel and use grease on my rotor bolts. :evil: :sneaky: