Quantcast

SE VA Monkeys unite if you want public access jumps

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Alright guys consider this a call to organize.
I've been talking to Kirk Moore, the prez of the EVMA, and pushing for a pumptrack and recently Tattooo brought the idea of a DJ trail to the EVMA boards. The club is open to building the pumptrack but we need your help in setting the tone for doing so. We haven't heard anything on the DJ's.
Keep in mind that the EVMA is mostly a XC organization and in turn have little experience with DJ's and Pumptracks. But they are recognized by the local governments and already have IMBA backing which satisfies all of the legal needs.
Ian and I need your help. We need to organize and meet with the EVMA leadership to get these projects going and having a dedicated group of riders is convincing to a body that has traditionally built XC trails.
So what do you say? Do you want this?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
You know I'm in. You have me until the first of September, then I am off to the land of PORC and plenty.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Stuck it!

Let me know if I can help. I'm working the Richmond scene. Let's keep the info flowing so we can learn from each others successes and failures.

Mike

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Thanks Dartman! Just got word that Kirk, Larry (EVMA VP), and others will be at the Hampton BMX track tomorrow around 1pm. Looks like their curiousity is piqued and it would be a good opportunity to meet them and bend their ears. I'll be there with that intent. Come out and ride but also sieze the opportunity to start talks.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i'm not to close to W-burg but i got family there and come by often. any long distance help i can give is all yours and definitly keep the info coming, we're trying to do the same thing over here.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Met w/Kirk, Larry, Brian, Penny, and Maeve from the EVMA yesterday at the BMX track. DC40 made it out too. Nice to meet you David. The guys a ripper.
Things went great. I don't want to speak for everyone mentioned but it was pretty obvious that we had a good time. Everyone seems stoked on the Pumptrack and DJ idea now so hopefully our plan will be accepted by the county and we can get to work soon. I'll continue to post updates here to keep you all abreast of what's happenin'.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
we're meeting w/the park manager for new quarter park on saturday morning. we have three designs to decide between. keep your fingers crossed.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Making me come to Wburg in the morning better get this approved, or there might be some new holes in the park that get filled. ****ing mornings...

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Met this am w/Kirk and decided on a plan to deliver to the York Co. Parks folks. It's gonna be a two lane pumptrack/dj combo. The inner lane will be Lee McCormacks basic backyard design surrounded by an outer lane of varying dj's. There are endless possibilities of routes that can be used while riding the track. It's gonna be sick if it comes to fruition.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Of course you can help Kevin. If this gets approved we'll need all the backs we can get to help build it.
If you wanna ride some of the local dj's let me know. I live in Williamsburg also.

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
Stuck it!

Let me know if I can help. I'm working the Richmond scene. Let's keep the info flowing so we can learn from each others successes and failures.

Mike
sweet, more jumps are always welcome. If you need any help digging around richmond just say the word.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
the williamsburg project won't have any real freeride or dh elements. however, we do already have a small north shore ladder set-up @ new quarter park. not much to get excited about presently, but there are plans to build some more stuff around it.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Just got the word today that the pumptrack idea has been rejected by York County Parks. The inability to control park access was the main reason. From a risk management perspective the county felt that they would have little acces control over the pumptrack and may have a liability issue.
Too bad. Maybe we'll try somewhere else.

rideyou

Chimp
Feb 9, 2007
sounds like YOU screwed this up for the evma to me. i feel sorry for those guys. and learn to spell Ipswich.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Nobody screwed it up. Our plan was good and the EVMA was fully behind it. The parks department just didn't want it no matter where it was located in NQP. They don't even like the North Shore raised trail in there. Their words were, "The raised trail really scares us." You can imagine that if they are scared of something so pedestrian that they must have been crapping their pants when they saw our proposal. Nobody's fault but the parks department.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
We're trying to work together here so we can get places to legally ride. Name calling and the like will not make it better, and certainly will not further our cause.

I would suggest redoing another proposal, and simply be prepared to give concessions. It can be done, and a compromise can be met.

I would look to the public skateboard parks that are in existence, and possibly model after them insofar as operations and liability is concerned.

Regards, flames and name calling WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

Tattooo will no longer be participating in discussions. Please, lets maintain a level of civility.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
I hear ya sirknight6. But I just don't share the optimism. I tried. I gave a good plan. I talked with everyone involved. I gave as much information as I could. I promoted the benefits to the community, to the LBS's, the clubs. But ultimately the plan died at the hands of the county. The concept was shopped to more than one county/city on the Peninsula by the EVMA president and it wasn't bought.
I'm frustrated and my call to go guerilla is just a show of that. I really don't mean it. I know that anything done in that manner just won't last. What I want is for whatever that would be built to be permanent. But I don't think it's gonna happen around here. And the reason why is that there is not enough people calling for it. If you want it start asking for it. Get your buddies to ask for it. Organize. I called everyone to organize and I only had two people really rally w/me. Yeah the EVMA was behind it, but they are a XC organization and if it doesn't happen they'll still have their trails, but what about us?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'm sorry it didn't work out. There is an opportunity for a pump track in a county park near Ashland, VA. Perhaps if this is successful we can use it for an example.

And to Tattoo, if you're still reading the site, :disgust1:

Mike

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Thanks for the sentiment Mike.
Let me know if I can help you guys. You're welcome to my plans if you need them.
Ashland isn't too far from Williamsburg so all isn't lost.

Matt

FlyKiwi

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
SE Virginia
This project is by no means dead and Matt's work has not gone in vain. James City County is very receptive to a pump track/dirt jumps at Warhill. They had something along these lines included in their master plan. What they are looking for now is interest and input from the Williamsburg community. I ask that Williamsburg riders step forward and show their support. When I know the dates and locations of public meetings I will post the info here and on the EVMA bulletin board. When we work together we can achieve great things.

Penny
Eastern Virginia Mountainbike Association
www.evma.org

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Alright round two w/this pumptrack initiative... James City County is interested but needs proof of public support. So we need to collect names. So if you support this please reply w/your name and location. Let's keep it local/regional so we can show legit need in the area.

Matthew Bordeaux
Williamsburg, VA

DC40

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Support pump track initiative, willing to assist with building the pumptrack.

David Cruz
Virgina Beach, VA

Dec 3, 2006
WB
I can't believe that I've only gotten a couple names of support from all of the riders in this area. Fricken pathetic.
It's your bike skills you're neglecting. Or are most riders in the area scared of something that requires you to get out of your saddle and actually learn to flow a bike? Sheez.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
I would be helping but I have enough of a hard time getting free to go jumping at the switch which is only 10 mins from my house. Aside from that, I'm having a hard time motivating myself to go and do work somewhere that I'll likely not get to ride when it's done, where as I can do some maintence at Ipswitch and ride for hours, even in the evenings after work.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
This project is by no means dead and Matt's work has not gone in vain. James City County is very receptive to a pump track/dirt jumps at Warhill. They had something along these lines included in their master plan. What they are looking for now is interest and input from the Williamsburg community. I ask that Williamsburg riders step forward and show their support. When I know the dates and locations of public meetings I will post the info here and on the EVMA bulletin board. When we work together we can achieve great things.

Penny
Eastern Virginia Mountainbike Association
www.evma.org
Damn Penny, I zipped through the thread and didn't even notice it was you, nice to see you on the monkey. belated for me of course.

Feb 18, 2007
where did you get the idea that a huge amount of bike riders wanted to spend their limited time riding in a big clay sand box? I will choose the wide open spaces any time. I enjoy the physical challenge and beautiful scenery of cross country. When I can help with trail maint. I do. I wish I had the time to support your project with construction and maintenance but I don't. Good Luck!

Dec 3, 2006
WB
where did you get the idea that a huge amount of bike riders wanted to spend their limited time riding in a big clay sand box? !
That "sandbox" would make you a better rider. Even if you have no desire to ride a pumptrack, just supporting an inititiative by lending your name in support is something. You don't have to come out and build, there are others willing to do the work; Just support your fellow riders. Way to keep progression down!:plthumbsdown:

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i'll support it and would like to have it at my disposal
A. Cartwright
Surry, Va

and XC Kid, you are speaking out of ignorance, the pump track WILL make you a better rider with both finesse AND fitness
try reading a little bit about it first before casting aspersions

burpBruup!

Chimp
Dec 6, 2001
va
Im working on pump track in my yard in Elizabeth city NC. if anyones willing to help me dig there welcome to ride it . I also have a few rythem sections built.

Feb 18, 2007
RTF I don't doubt that the pump track would improve my riding skills. I have read about them in other far away lands and even seen pictures. I was merely stating the obvious fact that Matt should not expect a lot of participation. I see it all the time on trails in Tidewater and Richmond. A few good souls doing the work of hundreds for the good of thousands. Once the pump track is built who will take care of it? You will have my support when construction starts.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
KKK, you are correct in that there is little participation in trail building/maintenance, though there are some dedicated folks. But this is where your logic is seriously flawed... waiting for something to be built before you lend something so simple as a name in support is a sure fire way to make sure that the project never even happens. What we've been trying to show here is a public need for a pumptrack. No names; no perceived need.
And yes I should expect suport from all of you riders out there. Why the hell wouldn't anyone want something to ride. If not for them, then for others. It's about supporting cycling, no matter the discipline. That's what's f'd up about this area. It's too dang splintered. And you're not helping.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
b'large, on a tangent, clearing has begun again out my way. last sat, jason, chuck, and i cleared all the growth that had sprung up since the initial effort before i got hurt. i'd definitely dig some help, and of course this will be waiting for us once were done...

well the redbull and the booze isn't currently there, however, that big cylindrical thing is locked and loaded...

Dec 3, 2006
WB
RTF, I've got the next two weekends two-blocked but I'll have time after that. I'll come out and lend a hand. You should consider coming over to Gatewood and lending a hand out here. Ian, Mac (new guy but good rider), and assorted others (including Ian's wife!) have made alot of progress out there. It's coming along nicely and may actually qualify as a destination when we're done.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Oh and BTW, the pumptrack just ain't gonna happen. It's obvious that most riders in this area should all just go out and buy roadbikes. If anyone else is interested feel free to practice futility. I don't care anymore, I've got dirt jumps, skateparks, and a BMX track.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
funny you mention gated wood, ive ridden there the past 3 wednesdays now. a group of us from work ride there 430 till ?
im not ready to freeride/dj yet but ive been hitting the xc trails. ive intentionally stayed away from the dj area as i simply do not need that temptation at the moment.
can you make a wed 430 ride?

DC40

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
I should be able to get back on the bike for light riding beginning of July. Shoulder is feeling good, still wearing a brace on the wrist for another couple of weeks.