Quantcast

Sea Otter bogus excitement

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Oh Man... Freestyle mtb riding needs a big enema, as it is poopy. So many of the riders who are "big names" right now aren't even mountain bikers and don't even know how to ride a bike on a trail. Sure they have a big bag of bmx tricks, but they don't even own bikes that you can go out and ride in the woods. LAME

BMX on a mountain bike is not mountainbiking.

Sea Otter as a whole really, really sucks though, so what's more stupidity, hype and lameness added to the mix?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
but complaining on the internet is still complaining.

and in regards to your comment regarding these "freeriders" et al not being able to hold their own on the trails, last season Chase (yes that aaron chase) placed 3rd in a Pro category race at diablo. so yea, these guys that can do bmx tricks can't hold their own on the trail. :imstupid:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
but complaining on the internet is still complaining.

and in regards to your comment regarding these "freeriders" et al not being able to hold their own on the trails, last season Chase (yes that aaron chase) placed 3rd in a Pro category race at diablo. so yea, these guys that can do bmx tricks can't hold their own on the trail. :imstupid:
Oh Man, Really? Chase and E-bot are CERTAINLY not who I am talking about here. Aaron paid his bills as a highschool kid killing people at the Trail 66 races back in the late 90's.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Oh Man... Freestyle mtb riding needs a big enema, as it is poopy. So many of the riders who are "big names" right now aren't even mountain bikers and don't even know how to ride a bike on a trail. Sure they have a big bag of bmx tricks, but they don't even own bikes that you can go out and ride in the woods. LAME

Sea Otter as a whole really, really sucks though, so what's more stupidity, hype and lameness added to the mix?

Apparently you havent watched any of the NWD series or The collective/Roam vids either. Darren Berrecloth and others can kill any trail you put in front of them...granted they may not be able to keep up on an all day epic xc ride with tons of climing, but skill wise (bike handling) they are heads and tails above other forms of riding. Saying that "BMX on a mountain bike" is not mountain biking is one of the most retarded things I have read on Ridemonkey. Lets see here, they ride a "mountain bike" on a "mountain," doing tricks. Seems to me that, that is just another form of Mountainbiking. Open your mind and relize the skill, dedication, and bravery it takes to learn half of the stuff Dj's pull . I mean it is very similar to becoming good at XC you have to train your arse off to become good. Only difference is that with XC if you mess up a decent, blow up on a climb, or something you have to keep working at it and push on that day, Mess up a barspin off a 7ft lip over a 25ft gap, and you are spending a few nights in the hospital after your bars just gave you a splenectomy. Then spend the next "min" six weeks in rehab waiting to be able to ride again. Nobody has to love/like DJ'ing, Freeride, or any of that but you should at the very least RESPECT the DEDICATION it take to keep going.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
So many of the riders who are "big names" right now aren't even mountain bikers and don't even know how to ride a bike on a trail. Sure they have a big bag of bmx tricks, but they don't even own bikes that you can go out and ride in the woods. QUOTE]

Just being curious, who are you talking about?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...

Uh...like who? Please tell me you know what you're talking about, because I don't. Guys that are doing well at freestyle mtb comps these days are typically very rounded riders. Vories, Chase, Ebbot, G Watts, Cam McDolla, Cam Zink, Kyle Straight, JD Swangun, CVD...these guys are all f'n fast at DH. '06 Sea Otter G Watts finished his 4X qualifier and without stopping to put a foot down pedaled his a$$ directly over to the DJ contest.

The complaints I'm hearing in this thread about "trickster hacks taking the media attention" or "that's not mountain biking" are just whack and dated. Are you talking about Brett Tippie (no disrespect to Brett) in 1999? Uh...things have changed a lot.

Furthermore, the term "mountain biking" itself is dated. We have these amazing machines we can ride on such varied terrain and that is good, not bad. I wish the term "ATB" would have stuck instead because it would have negated the likelyhood of so many ridiculous semantic debates.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Calling out commences... Paul Basagotia? Does he even own a real bike? How about all those breakless PNW riders? Timo? All of the british contest riders?

I can't really think of any more names, because who the hell actually cares besides groms?

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Calling out commences... Paul Basagotia? Does he even own a real bike? How about all those breakless PNW riders? Timo? All of the british contest riders?

I can't really think of any more names, because who the hell actually cares besides groms?
Can't say anything about Basagoitia or PNW's, but about Timo i rode BEHIND him on Whistler last summer, and believe me, he might not be any Hill but he can ride.
*edit* and he has a MTB, not just a stunt bike

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
What do you say to the XC rider who says that DH is not mountain biking? And what do you say to the epic trailrider who says that racing of any kind is not mountain biking?

It is stupid, short-sighted, and unproductive to be devisive.
Its also bad luck to be superstitious...:monkey:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Calling out commences... Paul Basagotia? Does he even own a real bike?
Oh GAWD I was hopin you were going to say that!!!!

I just ran into him sunday out at one of our dh spots riding what?.........a stinky with a 66 on it.........doing what?........riding dh trails

And you know what? He was enjoying himself.

I've really had a lot of fun typing this post.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Really, if you want to get into it you're more than welcome to, even though I'm sure im chimming in a bit late. If you're racing or riding in general for a living, you better be damn good. If not, if you have another job and race or whatever, then you should only be riding for fun and not worried about the big moved the "industry" makes.

Sea Otter looked at CrankWorx as the biggest media attractant since the Rampage. Sea Otter always got some, but not alot, mainly a few magazines and a few video shots. Now, with their slopstyle comp, they are bringing in even more riders, and getting more media.

There arn't alot of people who say looking at a XC rider climbing a hill is more impressive or attractive vicually than Kyle Straight trying 720 tail-whips over a big double.

Also; if someone already said what I did, I didn't read all the thread, and also, if I am completly off track, just ignore me.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I was reading one of those so called DH magazine websites the last couple days and all the excitement for a red bull dirt jump contest at otter has me wondering WTF is going on?
It seems a wee bit sad to me that all these dudes care about is some barspin trickfest? The only thing MTB about any of that crap is MAYBE their forks?

When some of the worlds best DHers, Slalom riders are headed to the otter you think their might be a little bit of excitement to see them in action. There will probably 80% huck coverage devoted to it too but they will all make it up to the DH crowd with classic one liners like "We saw EC on the slalom, he just rips, my favorite rider of all time" duurrrrrrrrr "Now back to John B Nac Flip and our amazing skate pics of the ginormous redbul ramp brah".

This is a rant of an old geezer that likes XC, DH, DS, 4X so do not mind me, I will get slammed, but is that first? surely not. Have a tremendous wednesday.
I understand what you are saying and do actually agree. I would rather see the large jumps back on the 4X course insted od DJ! If it is really a DJ contest why no 20 inches? I say let them in alos. And what exactly happened to the big jumps on 4X Otter course? The Vans DH Bmx race can have bigger jumps than any MTB race WHAT!!!!:disgust1:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's what I love about mountain biking: no sense of history.

Ever hear of George Mount? The Stetina brothers? John Howard? Who?

Well without those guys, there would not have been Davis Phinney, Andy Hampsten, or Ron Kiefel? Who?

Well without those guys, there would not be Lance Armstrong, Levi Leiphemier, or George Hincapie.

I mention ancient history because, yeah, mountain biking is at a low low point. Motocross is way more popular and BMX is an olympic sport now.

I hear all the crying about how mtb biking sucks and what are we going to do make it big again. Do you think in the 70's, the guys racing on steel frames and wool shorts knew Lance was going to arrive in 20 years? Did they cry about the good old days, the 1900's, where bicycle racing was the most popular sport in America?

I don't think there is an easy fix to push mountain biking to the forefront. But every pro in every discipline should be spending every minute being nice to the public unless they like prize purses of $0.

On the other hand, Floyd Landis probably set back road racing 10 years, so be grateful he raced road instead of XC.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
I would rather see the large jumps back on the 4X course insted od DJ! If it is really a DJ contest why no 20 inches? I say let them in alos.

for sure, I have always wanted to see a dirt comp with just the right ammount of 'slopestyle' stuff in it to make it an interesting comp for ANY bike.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

On the other hand, Floyd Landis probably set back road racing 10 years, so be grateful he raced road instead of XC.
you haven't been keeping up with the story lately have you?
They've uncovered close to a half dozen major errors in the handling of Landis's sample over the last few months and the French anti doping lab is under major scrutiny. Do a search on VeloNews and see just how shady the other side of the Landis fiasco is.

FYI: Not saying Landis IS clean, but with every layer of corruption peeled back in this case, he's looking cleaner and cleaner. It just seems odd to me that people refuse to believe that a man having to deal with the excrutiating pain of a degenerative hip for over a year in one of the most physically anguishing sports in the world...couldn't do what he did with sheer will!

The believe Armstrong rode for over 6 years with massive, painful tumors in his groin and abdomen before being diagnosed.