Quantcast

Sea Otter Downhill Report

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mike Hannah and Tracy Moseley have won. It was about 9 million degrees Kelvin out here today, people are melting at Sea Otter for the first time.

Blazing hot sunshine and slippery, dusty trails were the order of the day for this year's Sea Otter downhill. The track has turned into a blown up, slick mess from the moondust. Inside of helmets, it feels like a blast furnace as riders lined up for early morning practice runs. to make matters worse, an injury at the finish that required medics shut down the course for 30 minutes and forced everyone in line to bake just a little bit more.

Racing finally got underway about 30 mins behind schedule after an extended practice period, and it was Mick Hannah (AUS - GT) and Tracy Moseley (GBR - Trek) who took home the victories. Mick narrowly edged out Greg Minnaar (RSA - Santa Cruz Syndicate) by .1 seconds, with a 2:08.1.

I caught up with Mick at the finish line. "My run was good, but I didn't think it was good enough to beat Greg. It turns out it was, just. It was pretty slippery, but the main issue I had was a bit of a jump in the top rhythm section, I missed the landing into the berm and ended up on the top of the berm and got a bit messy. It worked out in the end."

For the women it was Tracy Moseley, fresh of her win last weekend, who beat Melissa Buhl, last night's slalom winner, by .6 seconds. Moseley pedaled her way down the course, standing and mashing the pedals in every section to score a 2:21.6.

Brian Lopes (USA - Ibis) and Eric Carter (USA - GT) both proved you are only as old as you feel, but scoring 5th and 6th place finishes, respectively. Lopes put in about 20 practice runs over 2 days, hooting and hollering the entire time, loving no longer being a full time racer.

Hannah, pinned as usual.

Tracy Moseley in "the rockgarden".

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Hearing that seaotter is hot just makes me think about all those cold, wet days from years past... or scrubbing the wet clay off our tires with sticks so we could make a good qualifier on a spongee track, back when the 4x was on the old moto track... fun times

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
X Fusion Train after the course hold.

Hill at the finish.

A guy wishing he had worn tighter pants, juding by the amount of dirt he shook out of his drawers afterwards.

Tracy Moseley, attack mode.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey, why he chose the SX-TRAIL and not his DEMO or even the Big hit?
Big hit is better than the SXtrail doesn't it?
sea otter is typically a pretty shallow, smooth race. With his skill, he could probably get away with a shorter travel bike and be faster. For rougher tracks, I'm sure you'll see the big bike come out.

Falcon 101

Chimp
Jun 4, 2008
sea otter is typically a pretty shallow, smooth race. With his skill, he could probably get away with a shorter travel bike and be faster. For rougher tracks, I'm sure you'll see the big bike come out.
Thanks, this is the answer I was wating for..I thought see otter it's a steep track but I guess not.

chic06

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
There has been so much crap floating around how pro racers never run their sponsor tire and they just run what they like any way, I just have to point out that sam hill is racing on chunders.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Sam Hill's bike looks like a chunder in back, with something else up front. Looks kinda like a minion, but maybe one of spec's new tires? Doesn't look like a chunder, though.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
We were walking down the course, stopped at the top of the little climb to check start times...
There was a dude with iron maiden (we will call him 'hesher') tshirt, with his bikini/daisy duke short wearing girlfriend there, drinking beers. Iron Maiden shirt guy finishes his beer and throws can in the bushes and another 'fan' dude says to 'hesher' "Nice trash can man" and hesher flips out on 'fan' guy.

Some of my favorite lines from hesher were the following: ('Fan' guy just stood there trying not to laugh)

-"you better back the F off man, I am going to knock you the F out"
-"are you F-ing serious man, what the F is your problem you F-ing fagg0t"
-"I knew I should have raced today to avoid mother F-ers like you F@CK!!! I am so pissed man, get the F outta here or I am going to ruin you"
-"Mother F-er, I have raced this downhill the last 7 years!! IN PRO CLASS"
-"F you fagg0t, I swear, you better just walk away man, walk away NOW! MOTHER F-er"
-"F@CK, you ruined my whole day, I can't even F-ing watch the downhill now F@CK"
-"This is F-ed, I am getting another beer, if I come back and you are here I am gonna kick your F-ing ass"

One of the reasons I love nor cal

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Someone should've cut his hair. That's where he gets his strength. Just like Samson and Delilah.