Quantcast

Searching for a "all around" fork!?

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I still can't decide which is the right fork for my nicolai slalom bike. I started off with a fox vanilla r 125 and ended up making it creak and finally breaking it. I then switched over to more a '04 DJ1. It's been great to me but I've latley wanted to make my ufo more of a trail bike. The rebound adjustment on the fork does squat and it's just too heavy.

I really the shermans and would love to try one, but I was told that they are sprung for 215lb riders and below, So count me out of that one. What about one of the Z1 forks from marzocchi? This is what I would like.

20mm
Adjustable travel from 4-5 or just 5" of travel
Perhaps some kind of air preload, or I would have to be able to make it hard enough for me.

Any idea's? What do you ride? Do you like it?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
the sherman statement, I believe I'm finding to be spot on,

I weigh 200 and my firefly with spv does two things bad....

1. It does not have the rebound control necessary to slow the fork down enough when the fork is adequatley set up to resist bottom out for a 200lb rider (extra heavy spring and 75psi in the spv)

2. There seems as if there is no fine line, between the fork being soft bump compliant and big hit resistant, it's either one or the other.

I got this fork to try it out, and these are becoming my opinions after a few months on the fork

I'm thinkin I'm gonna put a z.1 or z.150 on my heckler

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Originally posted by VooDoo
He's like 6'8, if he was around 215 pounds he'd be skin and bones.
ah.... get your arms a legs shortened, take a few vertibrae out, and then loose some weight, and buy a sherman?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
DJ 1 = 5.846 pounds

z1 Fr = 5.037 pounds

(Both without steerer, taken from the Marz website)

The z1 Fr sounds like it would be pretty good- air preload, 20mm axel, 5 inches of travel. I ride a z150, and even though I'm really light, the air preload works great with no worries about the seals. I'd go for the z1 Fr or Z150 Fr depending on how much travel/weight you want. (z150 = 5.88 pounds)

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
At 200# and demanding I have always ordered the factory upgrade stiff springs for my fork.

'02 Psylo with stiff spring 4.5pounds , zero blown seals , 1 plastic knobs broke off with kneecap .

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Toshi
z1 fr. smooth and delicious
I'm 240-250 and have been riding an '03 Z.1 for 1.5 seasons now and couldn't agree more. X-heavy springs and 10w oil and I have zero complaints. If YetiDHer weighs even more than me he might appreciate the air assist of the '04 fork, but my sag is just fine as-is without it.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
Originally posted by Acadian
I rode one of the new Rock Shox Reba at the Sea Otter and it's one hell of a fork!! Dunno about the long term durability, but it was super stiff, plush and "hella" adjustable :thumb:
3 years 5000 punk miles. 1 oil change. Countless wipe outs. Still going strong.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Softy
1 oil change.
Yuck. I bet your oil is a nasty sludge. I changed the oil in my '02 Psylo four times over 3,000 miles (the first time after only a few hundred miles, as forks first break in the oil gets filled with metal particles. So that's once per 1,000.), and it was thoroughly contaminated evey time. It worked so much better after each change too, big difference in feel.

Change that oil!

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by math2014
I am 210lbs and i ride the medium springs... is that totally wrong?

btw that is on a 2003 Z1 fork. The preload is almost at the stiffest setting...

change your springs and oil and back out your preload... you will not believe the how much better your fork will feel....