Quantcast

seating tubless tires

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
So, is it acctually possible to keep air in a tubless tire without Stans? I'm using ust rims and tires, with a compressor, and they still lost air after a few hours.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea. thats what UST was originally designed for.
its just 1billion times better with stans.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I beg to differ,I preferre UST than Stans,UST with Stans would be better but I havn't found I need the extra weight yet.
If your using an old tyre then you may need to use some Stans/latex,alternativly have you tried using some soapy water to get the bead to set properly?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
1, make sure that you have seated the bead all the way round on the rim. it has happened to me and it leaked slowly until the beat popped out...soap water helps.

2, if its an old tire you could have a leak somewhere, check for leaks with soap water on the beads, or just submerge the tire in a water tub to look for leaks.

if there is a hole in the tire, stans will seal it up fine.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I use an air compressor and pump them up to about 60psi till the pop into place. You will hear it happen. After that I leave 60psi in them while I run water around the beads to check for air leaks. If no air leaks I drop the PSI down to 28psi. I lose about 2 to 3 PSI a week. That is normal. I use no Stans as you don't need it with Michelin tires.

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
Thanks for the advice. I have used a compressor and inflated them to 80, they are michelins, I have tried cleaning them and soaping them. One is an unused tire i bought last year, the other is used and cleaned well. I guess the used has a hole, but the other should work!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I use an air compressor and pump them up to about 60psi till the pop into place. You will hear it happen. After that I leave 60psi in them while I run water around the beads to check for air leaks. If no air leaks I drop the PSI down to 28psi. I lose about 2 to 3 PSI a week. That is normal. I use no Stans as you don't need it with Michelin tires.
Stans is not necessary with other tubeless specific tires just to clear that up but people run it a tubeless setup to seal a hole in the tire.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
clean bead, clean rim, soapy water...done deal.

like CBJ said, it's good to have in if you puncture.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I have ust tires and rims, one tire after I ruined my rear rim, borrowed a reg tube wheel for a while, then when I got my rebuilt wheel back the tire had 2 small holes or leaks near the bead, so I used some stan's and it holds air pretty good still(now 6months later). i check my tire pressures once a week and usually need a couple more psi in each. my front hasn't had any problems other than the normal slow leak, I have had it over a year now.

clean and inspect tire and rim for any thing that might cause a leak.

if that doesn't work throw in some sealant and slosh it around, if you know where the leak is you could use less sealant and just slosh the sealant around in that area.