Quantcast

SEATPOST Recommendation

lazyDAVE

Chimp
Feb 24, 2002
exeter, UK
WHat would you reccomend as a good/strong seatpost for someone who weighs roughly 13-14stone.

I have just managed to bend the £15 Kalloy post that was a replacement for the previous post that came on my Marin, which I also managed to bend.

ANd this is not from 'jumping', just hard trail riding (i like to think!)

suggestions???

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
thompson yes..

another alternative is the Easton EA50, simple, one bolt, lots of tilt options and pretty light, cheap (for an easton) and it's an easton..can't question their warranty

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
depends how cheap you are, i just use planet x probes, and make use of the top class warranty (in the uk at least) everyfew months, means 3 days off the bike, but its cheaper than a thomson.

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by Orven
thompson yes..

another alternative is the Easton EA50, simple, one bolt, lots of tilt options and pretty light, cheap (for an easton) and it's an easton..can't question their warranty

EA50

I can't keep enough bolts on hand to supply it's habit, it's always hungry to bash my nads.

jim

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
I have em as evidence, and I didn't need a 55degree seat tube angle to do it either.
Does "ended" mean "bent"? Your hands must have slipped a lot on the keyboard to get that typo. :eek: :rolleyes:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by spincrazy
Thompson Elite. Nuff said.
get a thomson you won't ever have to worry about getting another seat post ever! why go out and buy 3 cheap seat posts that you are bound to break when you can buy one good one?

lazyDAVE

Chimp
Feb 24, 2002
exeter, UK
Thanks for the help guys.

My local bike shop didn't have any Thompsons in the right size (30.0), and it would take tham a week to order one. They're also quite expensive at £60-65.

I've decided to get a RooX S4 from my local bike shop for £50 and it will be in within a couple of days. They are meant to be ultra strong as well, at least as strong as the Thompson. Looks nice as well.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
the roox are certainly a sweeeeeeeet seat post.... cant go wrong with that choice. i however just got my first thompson post about 30 minutes ago...its really a work of art. cant wait to ride tonight...

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
what about for me? I'm looking to replace all the old HEAVY parts from my old bike. I have a credit at Performance - EA50 for 39.99 - worth it?
Hi MBC...I can't help you with the EA50 since I've never ridden one but may I suggest that you spend a little extra and get the Thomson. Like everybody else who has posted in here I've been extremely happy with it. Buy it and it'll be a very long time before you have to worry about another seat post.

lazyDAVE

Chimp
Feb 24, 2002
exeter, UK
The easton ea50 is a good post. The reason I didn't consider it is because people of a simlilar weight to myself have managed to bend them.

If you are of the 'lighter' variety of the human species! then it should be fine. They aren't particuraly light though. Maybe a richety(!), x-lite might be lighter.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Originally posted by Joe Pozer

get the Thomson... Buy it and it'll be a very long time before you have to worry about another seat post.
I know I already posted in this thread; but for the record, I like my thompson so much that part of my choice of a new frame revolved around the fact it would fit the new frame.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
what about for me? I'm looking to replace all the old HEAVY parts from my old bike. I have a credit at Performance - EA50 for 39.99 - worth it?
worth it...
I have them on all my dh bikes and all bikes actually. I have broken one thompson before... but that was an isolated bad landing on a huge drop..

I like easton bec it's simple and easy to adjust, one bolt and lots of tilt. Warranty is a no question ask replacement policy (atleast, it has been for me)... Yeah, Performance sells them for cheap too so why not..

ok - new question.... specialized's website says based on my frame material and the year it was mfg, the seatpost size is 30.4mm (thereby causing a problem in itself). However, when I measure around the post, it seems to be 30.9mm - is measuring it around NOT a reliable measurement?

edit - oh - is it diameter and not around the post? D'OH!

ok then, who makes a 30.4mm seatpost :( ?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
ok - new question.... specialized's website says based on my frame material and the year it was mfg, the seatpost size is 30.4mm (thereby causing a problem in itself). However, when I measure around the post, it seems to be 30.9mm - is measuring it around NOT a reliable measurement?

go to a bikeshop and get a shim to fit 27.2 seatpost.. most shops have shims for 30.0-30.9 seattubes...
My Lambda DH is speced with 30.0 (so I wuz stuck with Thomson) so I shimmed it and fitted with 27.2 and options became wide open for seatpost and thus able to fit it with 27.2 EA50...

So ask LBS around if they have shim for your seattube...good luck

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

Bontrager makes one I believe. If you can find it though, the Easton EA50 is a great post, and of course Thomson rocks.