Quantcast

seattle & surrounding areas?

searching7

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
I'm thinking of moving to somewhere around the seattle area to be close to the biking in Vancouver. I have demo 8 and have an evil doc dirt jumper, a super cross, and a rode bike. I'm not familiar with the area, so I was wondering about prices to rent out rooms and jobs, and what the riding is like, and if the drive to Whistler is far. Any info would be great. Thank you.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Driving from Seattle to Whistler is about 4 1/2 hours. Not too bad. A lot of people go up just for the day. I don't know what the going rate is for renting these day since I own my place and as far as jobs - well, it all depends on what kind of job you're looking for. There is some good riding in and around the Seattle area - you just gotta hook up w/ the locals to show you around...oh and don't ask for directions on the forums.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Couple of q's for ya....

1. Where are you moving from...?? Cause that'll kinda determine what area of Seattle you'll be able to afford....

2. Job market is all right, but what are you looking for??

3. What kind of trails do you ride with the demo 8?? DH or FR?? there's both, but you'll need to hook up with a local to show ya cause like 5 said....no one will give you directions over the forum....all trails involve some driving...

mmmmm Whistler.... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

searching7

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Currently I'm living in Annapolis MD, which is quite expensive. I moved here from Santa Cruz CA about a year ago to help my girlfriend with her mother who has become ill and is not going to get better. It was never a permanent move. Mostly I FR, DH and DJ. I'm not quite sure what type of job I'll be looking for. It's pretty open. I use to manage a bike shop in CA, but I don't know if I want to do that again. As of now I manage a parts department and make about 38 a year. I have a degree, but have never used it. Are any of the areas north of Seattle good places to move? Or are they small and hard to find jobs and places to live? Almost all the trails I ride are kept on the low-down.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if you like the non-big city atmosphere look into bellingham. it's roughly 1.5-2 hours north of seattle, and that much closer to canadialand

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Yeah, there are great places north of Downtown Seattle to live....I found a house in Bothell (It's about 16 miles Northeast of Seattle = 30-40min commute time.) When I as seaching to buy 4 years ago, the prices were a little lower in my area....For renting however, there are good places (clean, good neighboorhood, decent size) for decent prices (800-1000/month - ususally utilities are included) a little closer to town....

As for jobs.....prolly get a better paying one with the degree....but there are plenty of automotive (I'm assuming that's what you meant by parts manager) places around...not too many bustling bike shops...but a few really good ones that know their stuff.

Bellingham is a great idea if you like a smaller town than Seattle....cheaper too!!!! College town!! W00T!!! Good ridin'!!! Double W00T!!

Hope that helps.

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
Bellingham would be a better place to live in... if you could find a job there. If you move to Seattle be prepared for bad traffic and bad weather.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Bellingham does have the bad rap of too many service type jobs and housing costs relatively high in proportion to the average income. I guess too many people want to move there. You might consider Everett.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Just be an illegal immigrant in Canada and make money by smuggling BC bud across the border by riding thru the woods on your bike?

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
I'm jealous! I want to move to B-Ham!!! :heart: :eviltongu Instead we are stuck in Renton! BUT- Renton is still a good location....Central to everything! :thumb: No place to raise a family though!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
The minimum requirement to raise a family in Renton:

1. American made truck w/ 6" lift, a gun rack, and a $1,000 trailer hitch that will be used to move mother-in-law's cousin's boyfriend's best-friend's trailer from East Renton to Slightly More East Renton.
2. Husband and wife must have matching mullets.
3. Husband's mistress must be living in a van down by the river.
4. When kid is born, they must immediately start growing a rat tail.

And the 5th and final minimum requirement:

5. Speak to your child only in a southern accent using "Y'all", "Y'hear", and "Don't make me get the cedar switch from out back!" very liberally.

You guys are too good for that!!! ;) ;) :evil:

don't take this post seriously, I'm in a very bad mood cause work sux. If you do, refer to 2nd line of signature, cause that's what you are!! :D

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Secret Squirrel said:
The minimum requirement to raise a family in Renton:

1. American made truck w/ 6" lift, a gun rack, and a $1,000 trailer hitch that will be used to move mother-in-law's cousin's boyfriend's best-friend's trailer from East Renton to Slightly More East Renton.
2. Husband and wife must have matching mullets.
3. Husband's mistress must be living in a van down by the river.
4. When kid is born, they must immediately start growing a rat tail.

And the 5th and final minimum requirement:

5. Speak to your child only in a southern accent using "Y'all", "Y'hear", and "Don't make me get the cedar switch from out back!" very liberally.

You guys are too good for that!!! ;) ;) :evil:

don't take this post seriously, I'm in a very bad mood cause work sux. If you do, refer to 2nd line of signature, cause that's what you are!! :D
That's not Renton....you are talking about our home town SHELTON! :D

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Hey guys, not to hijack the thread, but I am very likely moving to the Seattle area as well in the next month or so. I'll be working in Seattle, but what are some of the better (safer) suburbs around Seattle to live? I'll probably be renting a house at first. Thanks!

Chris

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
AZRacerX said:
Hey guys, not to hijack the thread, but I am very likely moving to the Seattle area as well in the next month or so. I'll be working in Seattle, but what are some of the better (safer) suburbs around Seattle to live? I'll probably be renting a house at first. Thanks!

Chris
are you working in downtown? what part of seattle? how old are you? do you like bars and clubs, or do you want a "family safe" area?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think living on the peak of Mt. Olympus would be safe. i'd live there myself but it's really hard to score dope in the mountains.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Toshi said:
are you working in downtown? what part of seattle? how old are you? do you like bars and clubs, or do you want a "family safe" area?
Yeah I think I'll be working near downtown Seattle, but I don't think I want to live near downtown. I'm 32 and single, but I would like to live in a family safe area. I do like bars, but I don't mind driving a bit to get there or home from there. Any suggestions?

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
girlwhoboards said:
i live just on the other side of the 520 bridge so it's 10 minutes to seattle but i live on the lake. and yes shelton not renton...you leave my hometown alone (he-he).
Is that in Bellevue? I've heard that area is nice.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
AZRacerX said:
Yeah I think I'll be working near downtown Seattle, but I don't think I want to live near downtown. I'm 32 and single, but I would like to live in a family safe area. I do like bars, but I don't mind driving a bit to get there or home from there. Any suggestions?
West Seattle is nice - close to downtown, but feels like you're in a separate city. Us cool people live there, right Bibs?

garcia

Chimp
Jun 10, 2005
white center is pretty cool, in nights is to much action, and maybe once a week on the news

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
girlwhoboards said:
i just re-read your posts...if you want i could show you around once you get here...there are a ton of options and depending on the type of person you are and your interests there will be a place for you. i've lived here all my life...ugh...so i'm always willing to show people what i know about the area :). i would suggest getting a short term lease in an area and by the first 6 months here you should have a better idea of what it's all about.
-Kim
Thanks for the replies. That would be cool, I don't know anyone up there. Here's the story: I'm flying up this Sunday for an interview and if that goes well and I get an offer I'll most likely take it. I'm so over Arizona... Anyway, so if that happens I'll probably be back up there for a house-hunting trip and that would probably be a good time to meet up with you if you want. Right now I'm single with no kids. I'll be selling my house here in AZ, but I don't want to buy anything up there for a while until I have some time to check everything out. Price range: I guess I'd like to stay in the $1000-1500 per month range and prefer a single family house, but a condo might be ok if it comes with a garage.

No dirt bike yet, are there places to ride moto up there? I was thinking about getting one this winter to ride here in AZ, but now I might be moving...

Chris

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I'll check out W Seattle. How is the area south of Seattle, like Kent and Auburn?

Also, I heard they have dirt jumps in public parks up there?? As in the city ALLOWS them?? What a concept! Here in AZ the DJ spots are far and few between...

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
girlwhoboards said:
....and yes we have crime too but less crack addicts i think.
What??? :eek: Hunts Point has crime??? I thought the cops there arrest you if drive 1mph over the speed limit or you aren't driving a Beamer.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Renton might not be too bad a place, the crime rate is pretty high and a lot of criminals live there but most of the criminals living there figure there is nothing left to steal so they go to Bellevue, Issaquah, etc where there is a lot more stuff to steal. Heck you could probably leave everything unlocked there. The safest place is Mercer Island, after that the rest of the eastside cities. Most of south King County is pretty bad although there are some decent areas like Normandy Park. Everything is relative though coming from Arizona where they dump bodies all over plus steal everything it might seem pretty tame up here.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Borregokid said:
Everything is relative though coming from Arizona where they dump bodies all over plus steal everything it might seem pretty tame up here.
LOL, yeah AZ is full of criminals! The biggest problem in my neighborhood is car theft. I think Phoenix leads the country in that crime. Which east cities would you recommend?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'd rather live north of seattle than south of it. kent is pretty ghetto imo, at least lake meridian on july 4th was... :dead:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Depends on how much you are willing to spend, Mercer Island is definitely the safest place but very boring and very expensive. My favorite cities would be Issaquah, Bothell, Kirkland, Redmond and Bellevue in that order. If you live in an apartment try to find one that is in a residential area off the beaten track, thieves never seem to find the places that are a few blocks off the main drag in the middle of homes. We have a lot of cars stolen here also, owning a Honda and living in an apartment is big trouble. A garage is a big plus. In Issaquah specifically I liked a place called the Wildwood Apartments, thieves never could find the place yet it was close to downtown. Thieves are very mobile nowdays so no where is really safe. Mercer Island is safe because its surrounded by a moat and you have to cross a bridge to get to it plus the cops are on the look out for anything that does look like it belongs there. Its a funny place instead of seeing a sign for $10K CD's they advertise $500K certificates of deposit.