Quantcast

Security Hole in AIM?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Last night this mnt bike guy super randomly contacted over aim from pinkbike. It was the weirdest thing, he just asked me if i rode and what bike i had and where i lived. He maybe had a conection for about 3 min.s. Im on a high speed internet contection with a weak fire wall (LAN).

I know AIM is a security hole, was it possible for this guy to load a virus onto my PC without having a direct connection with me only through aim. I didnt direct connect, he didnt ask me. I am kinda worried as i have some cookies of pay pal and other important remember my password cookies.

-mack

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I get lots of weird things with Yahoo Web Messenger. Sometimes people send me a message, the add friend popup come up, I get rid of it, and then I'm able to talk to them without adding them as a friend. But the weirdest thing is, when that happens, I'm talking to them through another user name. They never say anything after that so I close the window and move along. This has happened to me about five times or so.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
after reading all of the funny stuff going on with paypal, i went in and erased all of my bank accounts from my account...seems like paypal is not as secure as needed....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by jmvar
after reading all of the funny stuff going on with paypal, i went in and erased all of my bank accounts from my account...seems like paypal is not as secure as needed....
um, paypal itself is plenty secure. Retards who can't distinguish between real, and fake "send us yoru password" emails are the problem.

Extreme pilot error is the case, not faulty systems.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Transcend
Retards who can't distinguish between real, and fake "send us yoru password" emails are the problem.
I don't understand. Are you saying that corporations should not be held responsible when users freely give away their passwords because of scams? :confused:

I bet you're one of those stupid people that thinks companies shouldn't warrenty parts when home mechanics break things by wrenching "until it feels really tight".

:devil:

J

JRB

Originally posted by binary visions
I don't understand. Are you saying that corporations should not be held responsible when users freely give away their passwords because of scams? :confused:

I bet you're one of those stupid people that thinks companies shouldn't warrenty parts when home mechanics break things by wrenching "until it feels really tight".

:devil:
Why would Paypal need to be held responsible for you giving out your info? I don't think Mike blamed them in his thread. :confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by loco-gringo
Why would Paypal need to be held responsible for you giving out your info? I don't think Mike blamed them in his thread. :confused:
Uh. I was joking - hence the little devil smilie at the end. I know Mike didn't blame them, I was responding to Transcend's comment which was spawned from a comment that Paypal isn't secure.

So, uh. Yeah. That's all.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by mack
Last night this mnt bike guy super randomly contacted over aim from pinkbike. It was the weirdest thing, he just asked me if i rode and what bike i had and where i lived. He maybe had a conection for about 3 min.s. Im on a high speed internet contection with a weak fire wall (LAN).

I know AIM is a security hole, was it possible for this guy to load a virus onto my PC without having a direct connection with me only through aim. I didnt direct connect, he didnt ask me. I am kinda worried as i have some cookies of pay pal and other important remember my password cookies.

-mack
Hold up, you are worried because you had a conversation with someone you didn't know on AIM? Man come on! You obviously don't care if random monkeys or pinkbike punks IM you because you made your screenname public in your profile here at RM and I am sure its the sameat PB.

To my knowledge there is no way unless he is directly connected to you, for him to do anything to your PC, however I haven't looked into it because i could careless about some punk idiot on AIM. Bottom line, don't think you have anything to worry about by talking to someone, he was probably just interested in BS'ing.

J

JRB

Uh. I was joking - hence the little devil smilie at the end. I know Mike didn't blame them, I was responding to Transcend's comment which was spawned from a comment that Paypal isn't secure.

So, uh. Yeah. That's all.
Doh - sorry.

That is all. :o:

J

JRB

:D

Once again, the internet proves itself as a difficult outlet for sarcasm...
I have the issue a lot. I really mean very little of what I say, so I have issues.