Quantcast

Seeking test riders

RubberMan

Chimp
Feb 26, 2010
I am looking for test riders to help with downhill tire development.

Qualification:
Who: teams only at this point (sorry, not individual riders at this time). A team constitutes at least three people.
Where: Must be a professional level racing program competing on either
a) the World Cup circuit and/or
b) the USA Pro Mountain Bike Gravity Tour
(looking for both dry and wet courses)
Experience: Must have over five years of downhill racing experience (and/or equivalent offroad motorcycle racing)
Additional: Must be able to feel differences in tread patterns on the trail and be able to articulate a quality review
Helpful: previous experience with tire testing

Are you the one? If so, send me some information that allows me to do some research on you before we talk further.

LETS BUILD SOME FAST TIRES TOGETHER!

RubberMan

Chimp
Feb 26, 2010
Sorry, Bizutch. Looking for group of peeps right now to provide varied experience level. May open to individuals later.

bigh

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
Omacron Persei 8
Hey rubberman,we have a team located in New England and although we don't race at the world cup level (yet) our team racers will be racing the gravity east series as well as the U.S. open and few other New England races. Our team currently has 7 racers (1 pro, 4 cat 1, and 2 cat 2) and we are still looking for a tire sponsorship this season. We could definitely give an in depth review of your tires and rider feedback. If you are interested in more of a grassroots program please contact me and I can send you a link to our facebook fan page as well as our webpage for more information on our team and past race results.

RubberMan

Chimp
Feb 26, 2010
hey, bigh
Please send me your contact information, race schedule and facebook info in a private message.
Thanks.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Your secret is my secret, RubberMan. Good to see you guys working on DH tires. Should be exciting to see what you have in mind. :thumb:

Someone should jump on this . . .

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Make something exactly like a Maxxis HighRoller that doesn't cost $70-80 retail.

RubberMan

Chimp
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks to all who have replied so far.

We are collecting information now and will be contacting teams directly later this week.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
this is definitely the last place i'd be looking for test riders. all these kids want is free crap.
not true at all. I have a few very talented riders on my team that do not post on the forums. but i do. and i feel THEY could help design a very legit race tire, so i applied.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
not true at all. I have a few very talented riders on my team that do not post on the forums. but i do. and i feel THEY could help design a very legit race tire, so i applied.
Naaah didn't you know that according to the newest data using the net more than once a month makes you 5sec slower on a 3min track? ;) I love that you either have to hate the non net people or the other way around. I need to start hating more if I want to fit in.

*Pepe*

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Vancouver, BC
apologies for the slight derail... but... i've recently read that durometer can harden over time. can anyone tell me if this is more theoretical rather than practical? i guess what i'm asking is, while it may practically apply to f1 tires does it really apply to mtb tires? thanks gurus.

as you all were.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
apologies for the slight derail... but... i've recently read that durometer can harden over time. can anyone tell me if this is more theoretical rather than practical? i guess what i'm asking is, while it may practically apply to f1 tires does it really apply to mtb tires? thanks gurus.

as you all were.
This is true. The hardness of the tread is in part affected by oils they put into the compound. These leach out over time, making it harder. And oxidation also adversely affects rubber.

But this effect is really only noticeable over the span of years - and with as fast as most sticky compounds wear it's not an issue.

What you might want to be careful of though is buying tires that are more than 2-3 years old - they probably won't deliver as much grip as new tires. I've never checked to see if bike tires have a date of manufacture on them, but you can usually tell by their appearance.