Quantcast

Sell my on Rims

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Industry 9 all mountain rim is trash (176 degree 180 demolished it) I plan to use the wheels, but i just came off a 135 singlespeed driver hub with a pimp rim 36H. I need to know about a rim with STANDARD nipple holes, that is very strong by itself, the industry 9 rims are cassette style, id like to get a rim that will LAST. I was going to go for pimps, but they do not have the standard nipples anymore, i am thinking pimplites standard. I am looking for a rim for Dj and street (mostly street bcuz if it can take street, it can take dirt) The rim has to be strong by itself, so the wheel only compliments it(being as the wheel is standard cassette spacing with smaller flanges)

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Why do you recommend 721 over 729? I only ask because I am soon getting a newer wheelset.
It's alot lighter, while still being quite strong.

Something a bit burlier(heavier) and cheaper is the MTX, they are a good bit wider than the 721's which might help resist force on side loads when botching 180's etc.

Also pimplites seem to have a good following, I've never used them though...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
fwiw, i think the 729s are stronger, and i have had way better luck with them, they are however, heavier
Nah. I've killed more 729s than 721s(which I've actually never done). I think them being narrower actually gives them more of an I-beam kind of support over the wider, flatter surface of the 729s.

I've been riding the same set of 36 spoke 721s on my dirtjumper for 5 years now. I think I might have trued them once......I don't remember.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Nah. I've killed more 729s than 721s(which I've actually never done). I think them being narrower actually gives them more of an I-beam kind of support over the wider, flatter surface of the 729s.

I've been riding the same set of 36 spoke 721s on my dirtjumper for 5 years now. I think I might have trued them once......I don't remember.
i have only tested them for DH never dj, but im glad to hear that since i just ordered 2 of them

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You'll be stoked. In my opinion they really are the best option out there for dj bikes.

Just use straight gage 2.0 spokes and keep'em tight and you'll have a wheelset for a long time.
no straight gauge spokes for me, getting laced to industry 9 wheels.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
721 are better for dirt and street than 729 because you're using smaller and lighter tires for dirt than for DH + 729 dent pretty easy...

i like both rims the 721 jst are the overall better rim for dirt and street
for DH i'd go 823 :)

that said i still have bikes with all three of these rims...

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
ive had good luck with atomlab rims. the pimplite standards are probably a solid choice.
also as pauly d said mtx/rynolites/single tracks are always safe bets

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Went with the 721s, i have run plenty of pimps and pimplites, but i cant get normal pimps, and i figure a pimplite <721<pimpnormal

so i went as high as i could