Quantcast

Session 77 opinions/comments...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Initially I was planning on getting a session 77 because I am in real need of a bike to ride snowshoe/mtn creek (currently only have DOC for street and a Chameleon for XC). But im not sure i like the direction trek is going with this new stuff from sea otter... :confused: I am in a dilemma. I’m not sure if i want to go "big manufacturer" or not, but the small guys are pretty $$$. The one upside the trek is that I will be able to employee purchase this bike, so for you industry guys you can do that math on a $3500 bike...Its a damn good deal. This weekend I got to ride one and was really impressed with the pedaling, weight, and overall feel of the bike and just for the record i dont really race much. I know the board is very "anti trek" but I just wanted some opinions from you :monkey:'s...thanks guys

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The build quality of those things looks so damn nice... Screw the Trek haters, that frame is :drool:

edit: You've ridden it; why are you asking us? If you liked the way it rode, that's all that matters.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I say go for it. It looks like a nicely crafted frame. I wouldn't pay retail for it but if you can get a prodeal or whatever its called on it i'd do it.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Something about the 1.5" HT and all-around beefy tubing gives it sort of a toyish finger bike look but really it's a great bike so go for it. And having no Zocchi is not really a downside exactly in many peoples opinions. Shermans rawk!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Handlebarsfsr said:
looks like a pretty blatant ripoff of a kona stinky or a banshee scream to me.
Uhh oh, the Trek lovers are gonna stomp all over now :p

But you're right, Ohh, I forgot, the pivots are bigger :rolleyes:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Handlebarsfsr said:
who also ripped off some one else...who ripped off someone else...and so on and on....D

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Handlebarsfsr said:
Why? because they share a walking beam 4 bar? :rolleyes:
Maybe Kona and Banshee are just a rip off of the Turners(5 spot, burner)...

Neither kona or banshee uses a 1.5 headtube, the trek uses a completely different tubeset.

It's just another take on an old suspension design...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Don't be dragged down by the fashionistas. Ignore anyone that can't view things like bicycles objectively. Most people like that have no personality or style so they rely on inanimate objects for it - bikes, cars, whatever. It's kind of twisted and sad.

Those things are pretty sweet and are a killer deal. You like it, you can get one cheap, and you'll probably have good warranty service if anything goes wrong. Get one and make it your own by riding the snot out of it with style.

The only thing stopping you is an anti-trek attitude created by posers and boutique companies who want you to believe that smaller is better. It's just another, stealthier version of hype, spun as the anti-hype. Don't believe it.

But if you want fashion advice, go somewhere else.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
oh i def dont care what people "think" of my bike when im on it, i just wanted to get a tech perspective...and was hoping not to get a biased one from all of my fellow :monkey: snobs...

And no Zoch is a + for me, big fan of the sherman 1.5 single crown :thumb:

my riding was limitied to the parking lost test...:rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Handlebarsfsr said:
I'm always blown away by the number of people who claim a bike is a "ripoff" of another company.

There is very little that hasn't been done, time and time again. Your precious Kona, which this design has apparently "ripped off", wasn't the first, or even fifth company to use the design. All single pivots are a ripoff of Santa Cruz, too, right? And the M3 is exactly the same as the V10. :rolleyes:

The build quality and finish of this bike appear to be top notch. The machining is nice, the tubing looks good, and the 1.5 headtube and enormous pivots (with pinchbolts, no less) show attention to detail. If the geometry suits you, then you've just bought yourself a high quality, well-fitting bike with a warrenty from a large company. What's not to like?

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
Jayridesacove said:
It's just another take on an old suspension design...

thats kinda my point- everyone bashes the stinky for using "ancient suspension technology" (the basic design dating back to the 5" stab in '98), and how expensive they are, and this bike is more or less the same technology, same suspension type, (and save for the 1.5 headtube), pretty damn similar in looks. and for 3500 bucks, it aint cheap either. i just dont see whats so special about it that most of the posters in this thread think its such a great bike.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
high qualtiy tube set, hand built in the U.S. by some of THE best frame builders out there. Warranty that will stand.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Handlebarsfsr said:
thats kinda my point- everyone bashes the stinky for using "ancient suspension technology" (the basic design dating back to the 5" stab in '98), and how expensive they are, and this bike is more or less the same technology, same suspension type, (and save for the 1.5 headtube), pretty damn similar in looks. and for 3500 bucks, it aint cheap either. i just dont see whats so special about it that most of the posters in this thread think its such a great bike.

Nobody said it's the bee's knees or even very innovative. It's a solid design that seems to be well executed with Trek's consistent, high quality and with some thought put into details and components. Not that "special" but one more good choice amongst many.

Dude said he likes it but is not sure about going "big manufacturer". I think the point most of us are trying to make is that he should try to ignore that crap and objectively figure out if he likes the bike.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Handlebarsfsr said:
What point?
Your first post in this thread
And in regards to ancient suspension technology, lets take a look at the AMP B4's 4 bar horst link which Specialized bought. That's pretty ancient. So what!? It works.
I think you're just looking for something to bash since you obviously have something against Trek or large builders.

samich457

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Stinkin Lincoln
Got my Session 77 frame two weeks ago and its a killer bike. Pedals awesome and jumps great! Its everything I would hope it would be and more. Not the lightest bike in the world but I dont mind that. I think you should get it, you wont be dissappointed!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
klunky said:
high qualtiy tube set, hand built in the U.S. by some of THE best frame builders out there. Warranty that will stand.
Hold on a second. Not all Trek frames are made in America. Many of their aluminum bikes are made in the Pacific Rim, if not all of them.

I like your lines about "high qualtiy tube set, hand built in the U.S. by some of THE best frame builders out there". So Trek is better than Titus, Seven, Calfee, and Serotta?

I am curious if the Session is made in America or not. Not that it matters much...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Nobody said it's the bee's knees or even very innovative. It's a solid design that seems to be well executed with Trek's consistent, high quality and with some thought put into details and components. Not that "special" but one more good choice amongst many.
I think OG's comments are pretty much spot on in this case...Nothing new or fancy, but prolly well done...Although Trek can sure as f make some sh!te frames...Take the Fuel and Sugar (I assume Trek makes the Sugars anyway) for example...The rear triangles (specifically, the cross member right behind the BB on both frames, and the weld on the seat tube for the rocker arm pivot on the the Fuels) on these bikes were as fragile as egg shells and they never bothered to fix the problem(s)...Yes, it's nice that they send you a new triangle, but I could break those things every 3-4 months of trail riding and wait for a replacement triangle for 2 weeks or so...Garbage...And quite frankly, I was completely underwhelmed by the Liquid...

But before every big company apologist lables me as a 'Trek hater' or 'Specialized hater', or whatever, I'll simply say that is just not the case...Like OG said, I don't give a damn who makes the bike, as long as it works and doesn't break in normal conditions within 6 months of purchase...But there's almost always a vehement reaction whenever says anything less-then-wonderful about a big bike company product...Yes, sometimes people get caught up in the anti-establishment fervor, but there's also many people who are just giving their honest opinion regardless of manufacturer...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good points jackalope.

jackalope said:
But there's almost always a vehement reaction whenever says anything less-then-wonderful about a big bike company product...Yes, sometimes people get caught up in the anti-establishment fevor, but there's also many people who are just giving their honest opinion regardless of manufacturer...
Yeah it's funny, you can't please everyone all the time. Someone somewhere will get excited or defensive regardless, and it usually has nothing to do with the bike itself. Marketing and media have messed up some people's ability to evaluate products.

Reminds me of this line from Paris (the rapper):

"Labels never made the culture, you got it twisted.
So recognize these f***ing vultures, and where they fit in."

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
binary visions said:
I'm always blown away by the number of people who claim a bike is a "ripoff" of another company.....

The build quality and finish of this bike appear to be top notch. The machining is nice, the tubing looks good, and the 1.5 headtube and enormous pivots (with pinchbolts, no less) show attention to detail. If the geometry suits you, then you've just bought yourself a high quality, well-fitting bike with a warrenty from a large company. What's not to like?
because people are still so bewildered by the sight of pivots, they just cant help trying to compare....i wonder if roadies ever accuse different manufacturers of doing that, or do they in fact look at the geometry and quality of construction as a major basis...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It's hard to can't deny the attraction of an employee discount, but at the same time there are other options... what would your $2K buy you in an ironhorse (for example)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
zedro said:
because people are still so bewildered by the sight of pivots, they just cant help trying to compare....i wonder if roadies ever accuse different manufacturers of doing that, or do they in fact look at the geometry and quality of construction as a major basis...
Roadie 1: "Did you see the new Colnago?"

Roadie 2: "Yeah it's so lame, I can't believe they went with that tired old triple triangle approach. It's so boring."

Roadie 1: "No kidding. Where's the innovation? It looks just like any Bianchi or Pinnarello. And jeez, it's still got regular old derailleurs on it too, how weak. How do they expect us to get excited about riding it?"

Roadie 2: "I don't know, they said some crap about the geometry or the ride or whatver, I was concentrating on my chamois cream application and didn't pay attention."

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
sanjuro said:
So Trek is better than Titus, Seven, Calfee, and Serotta?
Probably not Seven or Serotta, but yes to Titus. I've seen some shoddy welds beaded up all fat to look pretty but with no penetration on their bikes. Not saying that's the way they always do it, but the pieces I looked at were welded for show not strength.

As for Calfee, uh, there's no welds on a carbon bike... so I'm not really sure what you want to compare.

Trek also has access to better materials, better tooling, and their welders are building a lot more of these... that leads to great consistency. It's easier to get it right when you're welding 100 of the same bikes than if it's a new weld geometry and tube thickness everytime or every 3rd bike.

That's not to say they're the greatest company ever. They've had their design issues, and the fuel seat-tube was totally mispecc'd, but that doesn't mean they can't build a world-class bike. Same goes for the other big guys - Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, etc.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
jackalope said:
I think OG's comments are pretty much spot on in this case...Nothing new or fancy, but prolly well done...Although Trek can sure as f make some sh!te frames...Take the Fuel and Sugar (I assume Trek makes the Sugars anyway) for example...The rear triangles (specifically, the cross member right behind the BB on both frames, and the weld on the seat tube for the rocker arm pivot on the the Fuels) on these bikes were as fragile as egg shells and they never bothered to fix the problem(s)...Yes, it's nice that they send you a new triangle, but I could break those things every 3-4 months of trail riding and wait for a replacement triangle for 2 weeks or so...Garbage...And quite frankly, I was completely underwhelmed by the Liquid...
If you were breaking frames every 3-4 months, it sounds like you needed a little more bike. My bike lasted over 2 1/2 years, then they sent me a carbon frame in about a week. So my experience was good, and I bought a new one. :thumb:

Edit: And it didn't break at the "usual" spots. So I guess I was lucky.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
Jayridesacove said:
I think you're just looking for something to bash since you obviously have something against Trek or large builders.

actually i have nothing against large companies or ancient suspension technologies- i happen to own both a kona stinky and a specialized fsr. my point is that with all the new suspension technology out there, and all the money trek has, to introduce a bike that brings nothing new to the table isnt a big feat. this thread is entitled "session 77 opinions/comments..." and its my opinion that for a company as large as trek to should at least have something better.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Handlebarsfsr said:
actually i have nothing against large companies or ancient suspension technologies- i happen to own both a kona stinky and a specialized fsr. my point is that with all the new suspension technology out there, and all the money trek has, to introduce a bike that brings nothing new to the table isnt a big feat. this thread is entitled "session 77 opinions/comments..." and its my opinion that for a company as large as trek to should at least have something better.
You do know that more complicated doesn't always mean better, right?

Single pivots still work great. The 4-bar variation allows some tuning of the shock rate/frame design. Not everyone likes VPP designs (not to mention SC may choose not to license it at all), the DW-link is exclusive to Iron Horse this year, and this is one of Trek's first forays into the DH/FR field. Why would they spend a ton of money on development before they even know if they can turn a profit?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Like binary said, how many different designs are available? SC has the VPP, Specialized has FSR, Iron Horse has the DW link, so Trek is kinda left with the 4-bar or a single pivot. Unless they want to spend tons of money and a few years making something truly incredible like the Yeti 303.

Why are people bitching about this? Did anyone complain about Specialized using a boring old design with their Demo? Some designs work very well, so they are used often. I'm sure the Session 77 is a great bike regardless of how outdated it is.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
black noise said:
Did anyone complain about Specialized using a boring old design with their Demo?
no, because alot didnt realise it was still an FSR design with the triangulated chainstay and all. Not that many seem to be able to tell what designs are what in the first place, which kinda makes you wonder how everyones an expert...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Unless they want to spend tons of money and a few years making something truly incredible like the Yeti 303.
Why the heck not? I know Binary and Zed disagree with me on this (based on our previous p!ssing match), but I truly believe Trek coulda made a MUCH bigger splash in the FR pool with something new like what Yeti is doing...If a fairly small company like Yeti can develope something like the 303 design, why can't Trek? Hell, scratch a fat check to Zedro and use his file cabinet design (obviously slimmed down for FR purposes) :)

Keep in mind that I am speaking almost strictly from a marketing/sales point of view...Does it really matter if a design is light years better than a FSR 4 bar or single pivot? No, but SC has freaking made a living off the VPP design which really isn't significantly different in performance than a good 4 bar design...Maybe Trek will have no problem selling every one of those Sessions and more power to them if they do...Just kinda hoping for something more if only for selfish-tech geek reasons and nothing else...