Quantcast

Session 88 Frame Specs?

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
A few questions for you guys, not sure if anyone has the answers since not many of the bikes are out there yet. I'm ordering a frame soon and was trying to figure out some specs for ordering the rest of the parts. First I'm assuming it's an 83mm BB since it has a 150mm rear end, right? What size seatpost does it take? What the hell kind of headset do I order for it, do I have to order two headsets? Springs weight recommendations for someone in the 185-190lb range (thats just bodyweight, not with riding gear on)? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me with.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Anyone try an abp link trek bike yet?
How does the rear end feel when using the brakes? Vs a fsr bike?
I now ride a Sunday but I used to ride SGS fsr bike before. I really like the feel of the fsr. And want to go back.
The link look like it will act like fsr an single pivot all together… no? :shocked:

Thanks.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
You should consider a demo 7 or 8 frameset since you like the Iron Horse SGS. The demos are a much better constructed and performing FSR design than the SGS DH.

I've owned a bighit, rode an SGS DH every day for 2 weeks and currently own a Demo 9.

The demos suspension is more progressive than the more traditional FSRs.
The demo8 is around 10.5lbs, maybe a little heavier than the trek but proven in the DH arena (durability, geometry and suspension performance). The Demos suspension is also very compact allowing very short chain stay length which IMHO is sweet.

Even though my demo 9 is 48lbs it jumps better than most DH bikes I've ridden. The demos retain the active/lively feel of the original FSRs with a more bottomless feel and better small bump compliance.

If you look at the design of the dropout pivot on the Trek and compare it to a Horst Link one clear difference is that the rear axle is effectively connected directly to the main/bottom swing arm. This means that as far as axle path is concerned it will be the same as a single pivot (like a kona). The brake is mounted on a floating member of the linkage, but the axle is basically in a single pivot configuration.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I now ride a Sunday but I used to ride SGS fsr bike before. I really like the feel of the fsr. And want to go back.
QUOTE]

that's weird... I have an SGS DH (04) and a Sunday and my biggest worry when I decided to buy the Sunday was it might not be as active as the SGS is under rear braking but after my first run down Ft William DH track I honestly couldn't believe how much better the Sunday was in every respect.