Quantcast

Sette Relic

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Dogboy said:
I wouldn't call it a freeride bike-angles are too steep and doesn't look very burly.
I'd be more curious about it as a long travel trailbike, so the steeper angles and lighter weight would be a good thing.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Seems like a lot of money for something that could very easily be a POS and just self destruct, cracked tubes and splintered links, with the first impact. Then again, it could be rad. But it's a gamble. I've never seen one in action, and would let someone else gamble on it first.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
bikenweed said:
Seems like a lot of money for something that could very easily be a POS and just self destruct, cracked tubes and splintered links, with the first impact. Then again, it could be rad. But it's a gamble. I've never seen one in action, and would let someone else gamble on it first.

i bet it comes from the same factory that makes several "high end" catalog frames, only that one is 1/3 the price......

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
thought so.....wouldnt be surprised of azonic frames were made right next door.

*not bashing azonics of course, my friend just build up a new dh rig, and i liked it*

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I don't see a frame weight anywhere. I took a chance on my Weyless XP and I've loved that bike. It's got a "limited" 5 year warranty, wonder what the fine print on that is.

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
I don't see a frame weight anywhere. I took a chance on my Weyless XP and I've loved that bike. It's got a "limited" 5 year warranty, wonder what the fine print on that is.
Mine broke (xp) and they gave a full refund to my credit card.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
yeah its the exact same frame as the harvey mountain cycles Bennett Gap frame. The bennett gap in the picture and on their web site looks like an older one, because the one in the shop is the exact same as the sette, but if I can recall...the ones at Harvey mountain cycles had manitou swinger 3 ways instead of the 4 way that comes on the sette. Probably just catalog bikes that are made in taiwan...like a lot of other frames out there these days.

bshinn

Chimp
Mar 3, 2007
OK, the RELIC is built.

Here are the Specs:

Frame wt, Swinger 4way-9.5#/DHX air-8.5#

FOX Float 36 RC2 on the front/ DHX air 5.0 on the rear.

Mavic Crossmax XL's with Specalized 2.0 UST tires

XT Drivetrain (Hollowtech II)

XT M755 Brakes 203fr/rr

Easton Monkey lite carbon 31.6 mid rise bar w/ODI ruffian grips

Maverick Spedball post w/ Dirt Research Flite knockoff saddle

Shimano PD-M647 DX pedals

Tipped the scales @ 32.8 lbs.

Did have one problem, the link between the shock & rear triangle had a lot of play. Contacted Pricepoint & they shipped a replacement the next day UPS blue. Much better, but still loose. Get what you pay for! I'm going to search for some better quality bushings, & I'll bet that fixes it for a few bucks.

It's a good quality basic DS frame. Not sexy by some standards, the main tubes are straight, & not formed in any way (bent swaged, ect.), but they get the job done. Would have liked a Titus El Gaupo, or Scott Ransom, but for a 40yo with 2 college tuitions in his future, this made a hell of a lot more sense.

So far it has 3 rides & approx 30 miles on it, angles are a little slacker than I'm used to, but I adapted quickly, (a lower shorter stem helped).
I was also hoping to get it under 30#, but I can take a good dump & make up the weight difference. So far it's held up to the clydesdale test (I'm 6'0"/230#) fine, & I have no reason to expect any problems in the future.

My previous ride was a GT STS, & compared to that high end ride, I'm not dissapointed. It's straight, the welds look nice, & with exception of the bad link, the machine work is very good.

Overall I'd say it's a deal.

I tried to post some pix, but couldn't get the file size small enough. If you want some email me (bshinn@bellsouth.net) & I'll send you a few.

bshinn

Chimp
Mar 3, 2007
BTW,

Sette lists this as a DH/Freeride frame, but I think it fits better in the All Mountain/Trailbike catagory. The angles are a bit too steep & the travel is a little short for a DH bike, & it's not burly enuf to huck big stuff IMHO.