Quantcast

Setting up Giant Glory fox dhx 5.0 for a 160lbs rider

unlocoed

Chimp
May 17, 2007
hey guys, I just bought a 07 giant glory, im wondering some starter tips for tuning the rear shock on it for a 160lbs rider thanks (fox dhx 5.0)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
hey guys, I just bought a 07 giant glory, im wondering some starter tips for tuning the rear shock on it for a 160lbs rider thanks (fox dhx 5.0)
You will need a 400lb spring for starters. Then turn the Blue knob on the Air chamber in all the way. Put about 150psi in the Chamber to start. Turn the Pro Pedal all the way off. You will need to set the RB to your liking. I am about 172lbs and this setup was on the soft side for me. That is the way I setup all my DH bikes. For you it should be about 30%+/- Sag. It was about 35% for me.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Cecil

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I dont think there is anything 'different' about a glory that would demand a non-typical set up......if there were, most likely that would require a custom shock. So, typical set up...

first and most importantly, make sure you can get ~33% sag with minimal preload on your spring. If not get another spring that allows this!!!!

Now for a lighter rider on a bike with reasonable leverage ratio you want the (high speed) damping on the lighter side, this is adjusted via air pressure on a DHX. My recomendation would be to start a the min pressure (125 IIRC but is different on different year shocks so check on the res itself).

The next adj is the pro-pedal...which mostly acts is an LSC adjsuter as well as helps control bottom-out. If you like very active suspension back it off to maybe only a few clicks, if you like more control of 'bob' and wallowing in the travel, then crank it in a bit more. This knob is easily changed by hand on the trail, so it is easy to play with

Rebound, adjust as fast as is COMFORTABLE to YOU. I would start at about 2/3 out and go from there. Slower will help prevent 'bucking' on large landings but will comprimise on fast repetative hits (braking bumps). Again hand adjustable.

Lastly on the DHX, you can adjust the res volume. Adjusted out, will make the suspension more linear (easier to use all the travel) and in will make th shock more progressive to prevent bottom out. Again at your weight, you should not need to have lots of B/O protection (I think the Glory has some progression, but if it is more linear, lower the vol more...to 2/3 or so), so I would set at maybe 1/3 in. Keep in mind, that if you change the res volume, you NEED to do two things.
1 set the pressure to the min (125) before adjusting
2 re-set pressure after adjusting the volume

Changing the volume will change the pressure, so it will ne to be re-adjusted to have ANY idea of what effect is from what adjustment.

Last edited:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
All above is probebly the best. However, I´ve tried different setups on that bike and I actually found it best with a 500lb spring and the propedal at max. I´m exactly your weight. Standard shock. A little strange maybe, just sharing if you might need that info.

whatever

Chimp
Oct 19, 2008
I weight 170 lbs and i took 400lbs for the Vivid which I got with difrent "spring calculators". I still don't have the bike at home but I expect it this days. I supose that 400 will be fine for me...hopefully.

And what about the size of the Glory, couse i took on pre-order a Large and I'm 6'1 (185cm). Will the Large be the best for me ? Usually I like longer bikes/frames. The top tube difrence between the Large and Medium is 3 inches (8cm).

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I'm 160lbs and ride a Glory too. setup - 350lb spring, air volume around 2/3rds in, 140 psi in the chamber, no propedal, zero preload.

I started with a 300lb spring (tf tuned spring calc recommended this iirc) but upped it from there as it was definitely too soft.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I think you´ll need a shock with heavier compression if you want that much sag. The bike will feel very slow and heavy.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Kind of the wrong place to ask this as it is a thread that someone else started about a different bike, but...

Your shock is 9.5" (called eye to eye length) but it only moves 3" (called stroke). You want the shock to sag roughly 33% of its available movement....1/3 of 3 = 1 inch. At sag, your shock should be about 1 inch shorter that full length.

so, your 400 pound spring is giving you about 33% sag.