Quantcast

SGS and 165mm rear end...why?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Before 83mm BB became popular there was 100mm. 100mm BB + 165mm hub = correct chainline.

w/ Shimano jumping onto 83mm other crank/BB mfrgs and frame mfrgs settled (for the most part) on 83/150 combo.

-ska todd

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
lol i was in the same boat man when i had to get my new wheelset. there are only two companies that make the right spacing. dtswiss and sun ringle. i love my dt swiss and well you cant go wrong with it man. instant ingagment and its pretty loud. ohh and as for the spacing i have no idea why they did that. if anyone has any idea it would be awsome if you knew and could maybee let us know. thanks fellas and hope that helped blue.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
frznnomad said:
lol i was in the same boat man when i had to get my new wheelset. there are only two companies that make the right spacing. dtswiss and sun ringle. i love my dt swiss and well you cant go wrong with it man. instant ingagment and its pretty loud. ohh and as for the spacing i have no idea why they did that. if anyone has any idea it would be awsome if you knew and could maybee let us know. thanks fellas and hope that helped blue.
100/165 gives a decent chainline, whereas 100/150 and 68/150 are a bit harder to get right, as far as I know. 83mm BBs didn't really even exist (as a known/common standard, at least) until the 05 model year, and the SGS's were obviously pre-05. The 165mm hub allows for a super stiff rear wheel (and rear end in general) too. I find that it means you smack your derailleur that much more often though.

At the time, I think it was the best choice. Now that we have 83/150, it is pretty much obsolete.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
thaflyinfatman said:
100/165 gives a decent chainline, whereas 100/150 and 68/150 are a bit harder to get right, as far as I know. 83mm BBs didn't really even exist (as a known/common standard, at least) until the 05 model year, and the SGS's were obviously pre-05. The 165mm hub allows for a super stiff rear wheel (and rear end in general) too. I find that it means you smack your derailleur that much more often though.

At the time, I think it was the best choice. Now that we have 83/150, it is pretty much obsolete.
part of the axle on my bike actually protrudes over the derailuer to prevent this. its pretty cool

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
lovebunny said:
part of the axle on my bike actually protrudes over the derailuer to prevent this. its pretty cool
The axle on my SGS sticks out as far as the main derailleur bolt too, but that does nothing for hits to the body/cage.

MaD666MaX said:
my orange has 68/150....?
Yeah and you will typically find that you have to run a long-spindle BB and space everything over to get a decent chainline (unless it's assymetrical which I don't think Oranges are) like that. I had a Norco that was 68/150 and the chainline on that was a bit of a pain. Not a massive problem or anything but it's still nice to have it done that much better.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
thaflyinfatman said:
Yeah and you will typically find that you have to run a long-spindle BB and space everything over to get a decent chainline (unless it's assymetrical which I don't think Oranges are) like that. I had a Norco that was 68/150 and the chainline on that was a bit of a pain. Not a massive problem or anything but it's still nice to have it done that much better.
118 works perfectly.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Dogboy said:
While I'm sure plenty of people run that combination, technically it isn't a proper chainline.

The oranges and other bikes similar have an asemetrical rear end so the chainline sets up perfectly.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
al-irl said:
The oranges and other bikes similar have an asemetrical rear end so the chainline sets up perfectly.
Strange. What other bikes do this? That would mean the you lose the symmetrical dish of a standard 150mm rear end and dish it more to the drive-side? That makes no sense.