Quantcast

shell/shorts to put over my spandex.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Does any one know of a company that make a pair of shorts/shell to put over your biking spandex. I have the baggy spandex, but mine suck.

thanks

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Fox makes a bunch of shells, but they are $$.

Grab a pair of BDU shorts at the local surplus store, cut off the legs and have them hemmed. Scotch Guard them for more added coolness, well, waterproof-ness

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
does the rouge have padding built in? The thing is I would have bought the baggy ones, but I already bought spandex and cannot return them

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

are you just looking for shorts to wear over spandex? Try some moto shorts. Troy lee makes some very nice ones out of a durable synthetic material. I have a pair and that's what I ride, moto shell over spandex shorts. Find them through jensonusa, go-ride, pricepoint, or your local moto store, or possibly your local BMX store.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Just wear some Nike basketball shorts. Fit well, and don't hang up on much.

I have a set of hoss ponderosas and they suck compared to my lycra Pearl Izumi grape smugglers with the Nikes over them. Readily available at any local sporting good shop and for cheap.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you go in your local bike shop, ask for either Race Face or Fox Racing shell style shorts. Both brands make riding shorts taht will work with your own spandex shorts. They both make board style & cargo style shorts with a cut & fit for riding that won't hang on your seat & venting/stretch panels built in so your junk doesn't melt.

Also Oakley does too. All 3 brands even make MTB shorts that have detachable chamois so you can use the included ones one day & your own spandex when they start smell.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
www.nemamtb.com

the pivots are a standard, lightweight shell. material is similar to xc baggy riding shorts (rip-stop nylon, etc). good for xc & all around light riding.. have ridden xc,slalom.
http://www.nemabrand.com/products/pivot.html

the movements are a new short for us this year. a little bit heavier material than your lightweight xc shorts, but no where near as thick as DH race shorts. velco closure & adjustments. i've use these for XC & slalom & light dh
http://www.nemabrand.com/products/movement.html

the rest of our product (minus the dh gear) have the chamois built in. our '09 should have some great options

Last edited:

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
I would like something I can buy on pricepoint or get at Hudson Trail. I am going to Utah in a week and need them by then.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I just picked up a pair of the Oakley DH shorts. They are steep at $100 pair but I have a pair of Troy Lee shorts, in my waist size and the fit just doesn't fit me well. I have Oakley riding shorts and their stuff fits me right. I figured I should go with their DH shorts and give them a try. They are a shell only (no padding) and aren't made out of a Troy Lee/moto style fabric. They are super comfortable from the walk around the house and were not hot at all. I don't know how well they will hold up but then again I've always worn moto style shorts (azonic/troy lee) and most of those shorts are pretty hard to damage and mine still look new.

I was tempted to try a smaller size Troy Lee short but at $80 a pop it's better to find what fits and just go with it. They fit.......just fall off my waist once I sweat which sucks trying to hike up shorts while your riding. I know the 08's have a buckle vs just the button so who knows.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
i got a pair of spectrums for $35
I just called Brad & ordered a pair of the Wilson's in black. I had forgotten about him owning his own company. A buddy named Daniel Bender was wearing a pair of Wilson's last year & I remember thinking...NICE!

They're available in black or brown and I'm stoked to buy from a former NC local doing his best to live the dream in Bellingham, WA. Plus, they have a freeride park up there on public land that he is putting in TONS of sweat equity into..so I paid for the producer & the product. Bellingham locals may thank us for keeping a digger employed. :thumb:

Spectrum Techwear, Co.
www.spectrumtechwear.com
ph. 360.333.9552

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Update: Got my Wilsons in the mail Friday. Vents on thighs...5 Stars. Riding trails in NC is hot & muggy & this feature alone was awesome. I love 'em.

The waist is 2 solid snap buttons & there is built in adjustable, usable velcro tabs on the waist to custom snug them. Length is perfect, pockets are mesh lined, liner is super soft & you could walk out the door & down the street without being ridiculed.