Quantcast

Sherando Lake, VA: White Rock>Slacks Run>Torrey Ridge

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
This spot has quickly become one of my favorite places to ride that I'm hitting a few times a week now for the past month. Just 20 minutes from my door step with miles of trail systems that are a total blast. A great mix of riding on superb single track. Anywhere from smooth and fast, to loose and technical. A good day of riding here will put you through a variety of situations and thrills with great views and for the most part very low traffic. Today I headed out for a good 16 mile run starting up White Rock, then Slacks Run to Torrey Ridge. Continued out Torrey Ridge to a nice Sherando lake overlook spot and then back as I didn't have time to continue out Torrey ridge to the end of the ridgeline and then back to the car before work. The day was perfect with fairly warm temperatures with heavy fog and cloud cover giving that majestic feel to the old Blue Ridge mountain range and keeping the air slightly cool for the 5.5 mile climb that starts the whole trek.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
trail guide for beer?
seriously though, as long as i've lived in va i wont admit how many times ive been up there. ive been wanting to do an epic ride for quite a while and that is the perfect place to do it. the last time i rode there we did the jeep trail (?) up and the single track down (big levels/sherando lake loop backwards) the descent down the bench cut and shute like single track if f'ing awesome. i dont remember the trail names, just that we did the loop backwards.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Right on, where do you live Westy? I saw you have the 575, I've been drooling over that bike for quite some time. :cool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mud'n'sweat said:
Right on, where do you live Westy? I saw you have the 575, I've been drooling over that bike for quite some time. :cool:
Ruckersville, north of C'ville if your not familiar with it.

575 is perfect for Sherando, climbs well and kills it on the downhills.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Cool, I live in Waynesboro, but work up close to Ruckersville and have several friends who live there. I lived in C'ville for about 5 years before building a home over here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mud'n'sweat said:
Cool, I live in Waynesboro, but work up close to Ruckersville and have several friends who live there. I lived in C'ville for about 5 years before building a home over here.
Where do you work? Don't feel the need to provide an actual company.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
mud'n'sweat said:
First off, nice pics!

Second, is that an Isis you're riding? I used to own an Isis, but now ride a 575.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006

It's not an Isis, it's a Distance. It's proved to be a great bike for me.

Westy, I work up by the airport at Crutchfield.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
mud'n'sweat said:

It's not an Isis, it's a Distance. It's proved to be a great bike for me.
I loved my Isis until it was stolen. I thought about using the insurance money to get a Distance, but I opted for the 575.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
The 575 is nice. I know a few guys who ride them in the area. I will likely look into a new bike next year and if I can't swing the cost of the new Ell's Epiphany, then I may go for the 575.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Sweet pics, so there is more in the world of mountain biking besides CA and CO, who woulda guessed?

Dang, I'm seriously bummed now that I won't be able to ride East Coast stuff for at least another year. Enjoy that singletrack!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
mud'n'sweat said:
The 575 is nice. I know a few guys who ride them in the area. I will likely look into a new bike next year and if I can't swing the cost of the new Ell's Epiphany, then I may go for the 575.
mmmmm...Epiphany. :drool: