Quantcast

Sherman compression adjust?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just got a barely-used 2003 sherman slider. Seems that it's very fast and a bit undamped, regardless of damper settings. I can go through about 5 out of the 6" by bouncing hard on the bike, even with the compression damper fully on. That seems a little soft to me; I'd like to turn up the compression more. Springs are stock, which I assume means medium weight.

Anyone else have this experience? Looked at the service manuals, and figure I'll tear it down and change the damper oil and see if it gets better. Seems pretty straightforward, not as bad as a Dorado (which needs to have the damper bled, I assume b/c of the inverted design).

MD

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Shermans are WAY undersprung. X-firm springs are good for riders up to just over 200. Maybe you need to replace the spring is all.

R

Rabie

7.5wt is your friend. If you feel a thunk about 2/3 into your travel, you know it's working.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Rabie
7.5wt is your friend. If you feel a thunk about 2/3 into your travel, you know it's working.
Ah, the famous 'team mod' FROOC fork.

I'm not so sure I like thunking.

MD

R

Rabie

Originally posted by MikeD
Ah, the famous 'team mod' FROOC fork.

I'm not so sure I like thunking.

MD
Seriously. It's just the way the damper feels with heavier oil. You won't feel the thunk on the trail, just more controlled damping.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Looked at the service manuals, and figure I'll tear it down and change the damper oil and see if it gets better.
Check your damper level before you change it just to see if it's low.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, just changed to Bel-Ray 7wt and it feels pretty darn nice. Compression adjuster still seems to be sort of a farce, though. Edit: and no thunk, either...but it seems to ramp up pretty nicely.

No matter...if it feels fine. (or is it? Am I missing an indication of a larger problem? The TPC+ assembly looked fine when I opened it up...)

MD

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Well, just changed to Bel-Ray 7wt and it feels pretty darn nice. Compression adjuster still seems to be sort of a farce, though. Edit: and no thunk, either...but it seems to ramp up pretty nicely.

No matter...if it feels fine. (or is it? Am I missing an indication of a larger problem? The TPC+ assembly looked fine when I opened it up...)

MD
last SC manitou i ever had on any of my bikes was an 01 xvert super but on that one the comp adjuster didnt do much either, it did work though, i noticed a change in behaviour when going downhill, give it a try but dont expect much change.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't notice the compression adjustment bouncing in the parking lot but the old zip-tie travel measurement shows that I use consistantly less travel with the compression adjuster turned up, so it clearly has some effect.