Quantcast

Sherman goes boink

Oct 9, 2003
I just changed my spring in my 03 Sherman Firefly from medium to Xfirm. When I pull up the front for a bunnyhop in 110 mm travel the fork goes boink. I took the spring out and checked everything again, and made sure I followed the manual.

What can be wrong?

Robusto

Monkey
I think youre talking about the fork decompressing when you pull up, and making like a loud clicking sound when it totally decompresses? Kind of like a loud topping out noise?

Dont know what to do about it though.... :help:

Oct 9, 2003
Mudpuppy and Robusto, yeah I think that's it. It happens just before it's extended fully. it even makes the front rotor go kachiing. So it's boink, kloin or maybe thump - kachiing. The problem wasn't there before, with the medium spring and there was no rebound spring in the kit. And it's only at 110 mm travel. What can be done?

gnurider1080 said:
scientific progress goes boink.
Yeah, I was gonna write that, but only a few well-read monkeys would get it ;-)

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
It sounds like its topping out hard, the same thing happened to another kid I know. His solution...sell it on ebay because he couldn't figure out how to fix it.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Rainer Wolfcastle said:
I just changed my spring in my 03 Sherman Firefly from medium to Xfirm. When I pull up the front for a bunnyhop in 110 mm travel the fork goes boink. I took the spring out and checked everything again, and made sure I followed the manual.

What can be wrong?
no manitou forks that i have owned (black, sherman X2, dorado) have preload adj, I dont think any do
Oil level is not involved in spring change, most likely not an issue with a manitou.

First, Read your manual, it tells you that the fork is not designed to be ridden agressively (bunny hops) with the fork in the short position!

Why...well with the fork shortened, you have drastically increased the pre-load on the spring. You are also using a very firm spring.Those two things combined equal a force that your compresion damping cannot slow. You get top-out.

Damping oil viscosity is proportional to the force that is to be damped. If you increase the spring force, you need to increase the damping oil viscosity.

Oct 9, 2003
davep said:
no manitou forks that i have owned (black, sherman X2, dorado) have preload adj, I dont think any do
Oil level is not involved in spring change, most likely not an issue with a manitou.

First, Read your manual, it tells you that the fork is not designed to be ridden agressively (bunny hops) with the fork in the short position!

Why...well with the fork shortened, you have drastically increased the pre-load on the spring. You are also using a very firm spring.Those two things combined equal a force that your compresion damping cannot slow. You get top-out.

Damping oil viscosity is proportional to the force that is to be damped. If you increase the spring force, you need to increase the damping oil viscosity.
Ok, thanks for that. The medium was too soft, the xfirm screw up the fork. Mmm.
Anyway - always good answers on Rm. THanks!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Approved for the C&H reference. I own all the books (minus the complete edition, I already have them all). Watterson wrote some brilliant stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it was a shame that watterson stopped making it, but he had good reasons. that kid and his tiger always hold a special place in my heart (as odd as it sounds). I read that strip when I was a kid, and it makes me very nostalgic. I remember reading once that Watterson was quoted "I love writing (C&H) because I only have to know as much as a lazy 6 year old."

Oct 9, 2003
jonKranked said:
it was a shame that watterson stopped making it, but he had good reasons. that kid and his tiger always hold a special place in my heart (as odd as it sounds). I read that strip when I was a kid, and it makes me very nostalgic. I remember reading once that Watterson was quoted "I love writing (C&H) because I only have to know as much as a lazy 6 year old."
Same here. I love it. C and H and Gary Larson has always made me chuckle. What was the reason he stopped and did he just retire?
particle bored said:
The 110mm travel ("knocked down") setting is for climbing, not for riding and doing bunny hops, jumps, drops, etc.
I guess my conklusion is that the fork sucks. I should get a Pike and lower this to a ghetto Jumper.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Rainer Wolfcastle said:
Same here. I love it. C and H and Gary Larson has always made me chuckle. What was the reason he stopped and did he just retire?
He was under immense pressure from the company that syndicated the strip to license merchandise (which would have meant HUGE profits due to the strips popularity), and merchandising was something he was very strongly opposed to. He had a hard enough time getting his syndicate (and the papers that carried him) to grant him a full panel for his sunday strips (as opposed to the limited panel with optional "throw away" gag - you can read about this more in the 10th Anniversary book, or here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_hobbes). Eventually he had enough of it all and called it quits. I wish he had kept making them but I do respect him for the reasons he threw in the towel.

tirader

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
I had the same problem on my Breakout. My rebound damping took a dump. I ordered a new one from my LBS. I would first call Manitou, they hepled me out. They seem to have decent customer service.