Quantcast

Sherman Slider Mounting Problems?

wgr73

Chimp
Aug 20, 2006
I have a 2004 Specialized Big hit Comp. I just bought this Manitou Sherman Slider. It is a size Small. The headset size in Millimeters is 156.5mm from cup-to-cup . I checked the fit chart and my bike is the right size for a "Small" Sherman Fork. I took these pictures showing how the top crown does not fit entirely down on the fork. Is this ok?? There is a 2cm difference. The bikes head size was at the very top of the "Small" requirements, so it could have even fit into a "Large" fork. I just want to know if this is ok.?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
2cm is alot. You dont want to hear this, but thats not OK. Even going to a head set with a smaller stack height prolly wont be enough.

wgr73

Chimp
Aug 20, 2006
Ok, Last night I moved the bottom crown down just enough for the top crown to fit on. From the top of the tire to the underpart of the bottom crown I thinks its 170.18mm. That is just at the brink. Have you ever heard of someone having to move the bottom crown down from its stock position?

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I have a medium 04 BigHit with the regular sherman and a Chris King headset and it fits fine.
just make sure there is still going to be enough room for the arch to clear the lower crown when the fork bottoms.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There is no 'stock' lower crown position on that fork. I do believe that in your manual there is a tire to lower crown measurement that you should go by. You could also do as others have suggested and unscrew the top cap and bottom the fork to check for clearance betwen the lower crown and tire. Two things to remember though, the first is that the manitou forks have a bottom out bumper that will allow the fork to compress ~1/2 inch further under severe impacts, so you will need to leave clearance for this. Secondly, if you change your front tire, you might need to re-adjust your lower crown.

You cannot ride your bike as it is pictured

If there is not enough clearance, get the large top crown...tire to crown contact WILL hurt you!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
wgr73 said:
The headset size in Millimeters is 156.5mm from cup-to-cup . QUOTE]

Maybe you meant differenly, but the measurement that is given by manitou is not cup to cup. It is total stack height of the headset prus the length of the headtube of the frame. If you are truely measuring cup to cup, you have leftout the crown race and the top cap/compression assembly. This could be easily 1cm difference.

wgr73

Chimp
Aug 20, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys. I just want to let everyone know that I took the spring cap off and bottomed it. There was about 1in from the tire to the lower crown; so im good. I had no clue that there was no "Stock Setting" for this fork, that was scaring me. I still could get a large drop-down crown just to be safe if anyone knows where to get one. Anyways, I 've got everything set now...thanks guys.