Quantcast

Sherman SPV Woes

ILikeFood

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I've been riding a Sherman Breakout Plus (the 7" one) for 2 years now with SPV. I have to say for as much as I like the 5-7" adjustmnent, the low weight, and stiffness of the Sherman, SPV pretty much chafes my balls every ride.

I wrote Manitou an email two weeks ago to get the part number to swap out my SPV for just a standard TPC cartridge. They have yet to reply (and by now I doubt they ever will), and searching prior threads I can't really find what I need to order.

I have the luxury on my bike of being able to ride it with a 888 or the Sherman. I mostly have to pedal the bike up hills, so the 888 is really just for gravity days. I'm really starting to lean towards just unloading the Sherman and getting a 66 w/ETA just to get something that feels more compliant on the small stuff (the Sherman is fine on medium and big hits, but stiff as a road fork on trail conditons.) I don't care if I trade some bob on climbing for a more supple ride.

But...has anyone converted their 7" to TPC and been super happy with it? Has any gone to TPC and wished they stayed SPV? Do I still get the adjustable bottom-out control with the TPC cart?

I'm in Whistler all next week (with the 888) can the Manitou service center do the trade-out for me?

Thanks,
f00d

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
ILikeFood said:
I've been riding a Sherman Breakout Plus (the 7" one) for 2 years now with SPV. I have to say for as much as I like the 5-7" adjustmnent, the low weight, and stiffness of the Sherman, SPV pretty much chafes my balls every ride.

I wrote Manitou an email two weeks ago to get the part number to swap out my SPV for just a standard TPC cartridge. They have yet to reply (and by now I doubt they ever will), and searching prior threads I can't really find what I need to order.

I have the luxury on my bike of being able to ride it with a 888 or the Sherman. I mostly have to pedal the bike up hills, so the 888 is really just for gravity days. I'm really starting to lean towards just unloading the Sherman and getting a 66 w/ETA just to get something that feels more compliant on the small stuff (the Sherman is fine on medium and big hits, but stiff as a road fork on trail conditons.) I don't care if I trade some bob on climbing for a more supple ride.

But...has anyone converted their 7" to TPC and been super happy with it? Has any gone to TPC and wished they stayed SPV? Do I still get the adjustable bottom-out control with the TPC cart?

I'm in Whistler all next week (with the 888) can the Manitou service center do the trade-out for me?

Thanks,
f00d

I do not know if they make the parts you are looking for but...

pick up the phone

and ask for bobbie (if he is still there) or just the tech guys.

tirader

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
I called Manitou about 2 weeks ago to replace my SPV with TPC. They said they were out and probably would not order any more.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I had a similar problem with SPVE on my Sherman. I considered the TPC retrofit but decided against it because it lacked the bottom-out resistance. Anyway, I ended up selling the fork and picking up a Travis Single Intrinsic.. good upgrade.