Quantcast

She's totally hot AND she can play!!!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
...unlike Anna Kournikova who's just hot...

Sharapova Is Wimbledon's Queen at 17

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - Tennis has a new superstar. And she's just 17.

Completing an improbable journey from the far reaches of Siberia to the pinnacle of the sport, Maria Sharapova beat two-time defending champion Serena Williams 6-1, 6-4 Saturday to win Wimbledon for her first Grand Slam title.

She's the first Russian to win a Wimbledon singles title, the third-youngest women's champion in history and, at No. 13, the lowest seeded women's winner since Wimbledon began seeding players in 1927.

"I never, never in my life expected this to happen so fast," Sharapova said. "It's always been my dream to come here and to win. It was never in my mind I would do it this year."

After Williams hit a forehand into the net to end the 73-minute match, Sharapova dropped to her knees at the baseline and covered her face with her hands. She raised her arms and walked to the net. Williams walked around the net and the two players embraced.

Sharapova pumped her fists, whacked a ball into the stands and climbed into the guest box to hug her father, Yuri. She pulled out a cell phone and tried to call her mother but couldn't get through immediately.

"I turned it on and it keeps turning off - come on, technology," she said with a giggle.

Sharapova accepted the winner's trophy - the Venus Rosewater dish - from the Duke of Kent.

"I want to cut up this trophy and give it to everybody, this whole crowd," she said.

Turning to Williams, Sharapova said, "I have to take this trophy from you for one year. I'm sorry. ... I'm sure we're going to be here one more time and hopefully many more times in other Grand Slams and fight for the trophy."

"It wasn't my day," a gracious Williams told the Centre Court crowd. "Maria played a really good match. Congratulations on your first Grand Slam."

On the men's side, defending champion Roger Federer and Andy Roddick won their semifinal matches Saturday to set up a championship showdown between the top two seeded players.

Federer needed 29 minutes and four match points to complete a 6-2, 6-3, 7-6 (6) win over Sebastien Grosjean, extending his grass-court winning streak to 23 matches.

Roddick beat 20-year-old Mario Ancic, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 to reach his first Wimbledon final and second Grand Slam championship match. He won last year's U.S. Open.

It will be the first Wimbledon men's final between the top two seeded players since 1982, when No. 2 Jimmy Connors beat No. 1 John McEnroe.

"I'm excited," Roddick said. "He's the best and I want to go for a match up against him. We're both going to come out firing. I can't wait."

Sharapova, playing in her first Grand Slam final, put on a virtuoso performance against the six-time Grand Slam winner. She showed no signs of nerves and kept Williams on the defensive, hitting 17 winners and only 11 errors. It was the most lopsided women's final since Steffi Graf beat Monica Seles 6-1, 6-2 in 1992.

"I don't know how I won," Sharapova said. "I don't know what the tactics were. I was in my own little world - I don't know what that world was really."

And she did it after coming down with a bad sore throat Friday night.

"I was in tears because I didn't think I'd be ready to play a Wimbledon final and win," she said.

Sharapova is the youngest woman to capture Wimbledon since Martina Hingis, who was 16 when she won in 1997. The youngest champion was Lottie Dod, who was 15 when she won the 1887 title.

Sharapova halted Williams' bid to become only the third woman in 35 years to win three consecutive titles. She also ended the Williams family's four-year hold on the trophy. Venus Williams won in 2000 and 2001, while Serena beat her older sister in the final the next two years.

"I don't know what happened," Williams said. "I didn't play great and I didn't win."

Sharapova showed right from the outset that she wasn't intimidated by Williams. She moved her from side to side. She stepped in on short balls and knocked off winners. She mixed searing groundstrokes with topspin lobs. She pumped her fists.

"She's kind of like me," Williams said. "She doesn't back off, she keeps giving it her all."

From 1-1, Sharapova won five straight games to win the opening set in 30 minutes. Williams went up a break at 4-2 in the second, but Sharapova broke right back and won the last four games.

Sharapova was born in Siberia and moved at a young age to the Black Sea resort of Sochi. When she was 5, she was spotted by Martina Navratilova at a clinic in Moscow. She moved to Florida at 7 and joined Nick Bollettieri's tennis academy at 9.

The 6-foot blonde has a modeling contract, drawing comparisons to Anna Kournikova. But, unlike Kournikova, she can win tournaments. Sharapova had three tour titles coming into Wimbledon.

Robert Landsdorp, who has coached Sharapova in California, said he never expected her to win Wimbledon so soon.

"I don't remember when I saw somebody so young come in and play like that in their first final," he said.

Boris Becker, who won Wimbledon in 1985 at 17, said Sharapova's victory was the result of "nerves of steel or the innocence of youth."

"She played fearlessly," he said.

Sharapova collected a winner's check of $1,020,110, while Williams received $510,055.

J

JRB

But did you hear her talk? While super impressive there is virtually no accent and learning English in just 4 months, she seemed awfully giddy and goofy.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Ummm...yeah I would be to if I just destroyed the best player in tennis (thank god I hate the williams sisters), my first major, and just earned over a million, a model...she definately has a reason to be giddy :D Oh an 17 helps too ;)

In the pre-interview I saw she was calm, collected and really intelligent (it seemed) :)...

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
To bad:(

No Chance of Olympic Gold for Shimmering Sharapova
By Ossian Shine

LONDON (Reuters) - The door to next month's Olympic Games will remain barred to Wimbledon's newest champion Maria Sharapova, organizers said Thursday.

The 17-year-old Siberian has generated a tidal wave of interest in women's tennis across the globe since winning the grasscourt grand slam last weekend and her presence in Athens would have been a major boost to an event largely overshadowed by more traditional Olympic disciplines.

But despite becoming one of the sport's biggest drawcards virtually overnight, the teen-ager will not be allowed to compete at the world's greatest sporting extravaganza.

"It is a shame, I agree... but all the places have been allocated now," International Tennis Federation (ITF) Secretary General Debbie Jevans told Reuters Thursday.

"The problem is being on a team that is so strong."

Russia's team, along with every other nation, was picked according to the world rankings on June 14, the cut-off date.

French Open champion Anastasia Myskina and runner-up Elena Dementieva were joined by Nadia Petrova and Svetlana Kuznetsova to make up the four-strong singles contingent.

Even if one of those players were to drop out between now and the beginning of the Games on August 13, Vera Zvonareva would take her place in the Russian team.

Zvonareva was ranked world number 14 to Sharapova's 15 on the cut-off date.

While Sharapova shook Wimbledon to its foundations with her powerful, refreshing game and amiable off-court personality, her compatriots failed to impress in the last grand slam before the Olympic Games.

Dementieva and Kuznetsova both suffered ignominious first-round defeats at the hands of little-known opponents.

Myskina struggled through to the third round while Zvonareva made it one better before falling to Lindsay Davenport -- Sharapova's semi-final victim.

"It is the National Olympic Committee (NOC) which selects the players," Jevans said. "And we have to have a cut-off date.

"The reason it was June 14 is that that was the closest date we could have to the Olympic deadline.

"Because we have world rankings in our sport, the NOCs have to base their selections on these.

"We do have wildcards, that's not the issue. The issue is that there is a maximum of four players from an individual country allowed in the Games. On the cut-off, there were four Russians ranked higher than Sharapova."

Sharapova, who moved to Nick Bollettieri's tennis camp in Florida as a seven-year-old a decade ago, is still fiercely proud of her heritage and nationality.

"Of course I am Russian," she said during her run to the Wimbledon crown last week. "I go back there, I have a house there... I am Russian."

Despite her keen sense of nationality, Sharapova is yet to represent Russia in Fed Cup -- the sport's inter-nation team tournament.

Last month she was left out of the team to face Argentina in the quarter-finals in Buenos Aires this weekend.

"We decided against inviting Sharapova because it would have been difficult for her to adapt to clay from grass in such a short time," team captain and Russian Tennis Federation president Shamil Tarpischev told Reuters at the time.

07/08/04 06:03

D

Dingus McGee

loco-gringo said:
But did you hear her talk? While super impressive there is virtually no accent and learning English in just 4 months, she seemed awfully giddy and goofy.
I'm pretty sure they still speak English in Florida.......
:)

"Sharapova, who moved to Nick Bollettieri's tennis camp in Florida as a seven-year-old a decade ago, is still fiercely proud of her heritage and nationality."

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
She's pretty and all, and sure can play tennis....

But can she ride a mountain bike? :devil:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
luken8r said:
i dont see what all the hubub is about. i dont think shes that hot, seems more average than anything else
I'm starting to think surfing Ridemonkey makes some people blind. First Sheryl Crow is ugly, now this chick is average?

New rule: Anytime you make an asinine comment like that, you are required to post a picture of your current girlfriend/wife. :rolleyes:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Echo said:
I'm starting to think surfing Ridemonkey makes some people blind. First Sheryl Crow is ugly, now this chick is average?

New rule: Anytime you make an asinine comment like that, you are required to post a picture of your current girlfriend/wife. :rolleyes:
maybe im just not into the whole 105lb, HS looking chicks.

the only chick this young that i would nail would be

or

you decide

I, for one, need some meet on dem bones for my bone

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
drool

drool

drool

PLEASE delete this thread........I like it(her) too much (plus schenectady is only 30 minutes from where I live) but shes only 17 (ugh)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
mtnbkr4235 said:
HAHAHA, :p Echo that is the best suggestion Ive heard in a while, lol. And for those people who are single, they have to post a pic of themselves.

You mean post a pic of their hand......