Quantcast

Shimano 10s shifter w/ 9s cassette?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I've been looking out for 9-speed Shimano shifters. There are not a whole lot of them for sale in Australia. However, 10 speed shifters are relatively abundant. The shifter/brake leavers are going to go on a bike (with semi-beat 105 9 speed stuff) which I am trying to turn into something more useful than a craptastic TT bike with bar-end shifters and shi11y aero-brakes. I'd like to commute to work and do occasional road rides. Sheldon Brown's site claims that an alternative "B-position" cable routing can be used when clamping the cable to the rear derailleur to make 10 speed shifters compatible with a 9 speed cassette. I suppose the extra index position could be set at/above the upper limit, so it shouldn't cause any problems. This sounds awesome. However, for some reason, it seems to me like a trick that might work, but not work well. Has anyone tried this?

Or do I need to suck it up and get a 10s chain and cassette too?

(I'm also against 10 speed in principle...so actually going 10 speed would make me a little sad.:D)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I haven't tried Sheldon's suggestion, but it would seem that you could put the extra index at the lowest gear so you wouldn't be able to use it.....you would hit the stop on the der. and not be able to shift. Or you could suck it up and buy 10 speed stuff, like you said :)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I won't swear that it will work on 9 speed stuff, but if you incorrectly route the cable at the pinch bolt it will over shift the middle of the cassette. It likely won't be great, but as you say, it likely will work. I'd personally just get a cassette and chain and be good on 10 speed stuff. The cranks will work fine between 9 and 10. I say fine, as it won't be perfect, but will function. That is the case with the front derailleur too.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Cool. More or less what I thought. The latest intriguing option is to sell the weird TT bike and get this: http://www.malvernstar.com.au/range/bike-2360.aspx

At $2200 AUD, it ain't cheap, but it's roughly $700 cheaper than anything else with 105 or better around here. Anything similar and used goes for 1700ish. It's crazy I tell you.