Quantcast

Shimano can lick my Sram

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Took out the old xt derailuer today on a ride. and picked this up at the LBS, with an x-7 shifter. i am again a VERY happy Sram customer. this setup is a "gotta ride it to believe it" setup. and the click-pop feel is so satisfing. and it sure is nice to NOT have the big dorky loop of housing out the back. my only complaint, is whats the deal with the faux carbon patterning on a high end item like this? is like the mercedes AMG model's b-pillars :confused:

:D :D :D

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
All i gotta do, is get a 26" rear with a Hadley hub, and some new cranks to replace my current bent xt cranks and ill be 100% shimano free :)
also, i think my chain is a bit short, but i lost my sram chain links. so they sell small sections of chain? or is my best bet to go hit up the parts dept of the lbs?

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
Originally posted by SebringMGB
All i gotta do, is get a 26" rear with a Hadley hub, and some new cranks to replace my current bent xt cranks and ill be 100% shimano free :)
also, i think my chain is a bit short, but i lost my sram chain links. so they sell small sections of chain? or is my best bet to go hit up the parts dept of the lbs?
I'm sure it's easier to buy a whole new chain. I'm a poor college student, so I know it might be a little pricey.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
from my experience working at shops, tehres always links of chains laying around, left overs from cutting chains for customers. try your LBS and theyll probly hook you up if you only need a few links

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Ever since I swapped to SRAM 3 rides ago, I've broken 2 derailleurs and a shifter. In the 2-3 years of running Shimano prior to that, I never broke anything. Hooray for SRAM. :rolleyes:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Im also converted. I have x9 on both bikes. I love the lack of derailler slap. Its bad on a BigHit with a shimano derailler. THe shifting action sure seems crisp too..... My DHR i have 100% sram down to the hollow pin chain. The other bike is running 50/50 with a shimano xt cassette andchain. Im waiting on a new chain, but might stay with the cassette. it seems to work fine.

[off topic]Im also liking the avid J7's. I have one ride on them and so far im impressed.......They seem like they were made to fit perfectly with the x9 shifters...... i have a pic, but im on a diferent computer so i cant post it now..........[/offtopic]

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
oh yeh..... i like my shifter on the INSIDE of my brake lever, so i can have my hands far out on the bars, and still reach the shifter.... but bloody hayes levers make this freakin impossible with any shifter :(

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
oh yeh..... i like my shifter on the INSIDE of my brake lever, so i can have my hands far out on the bars, and still reach the shifter.... but bloody hayes levers make this freakin impossible with any shifter :(
works fine for me using Shimano shifters, but i modified my levers so they're more stretched out.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by Tully
I realize that this is pretty subjective, but what exactly makes SRAM so good compared to Shimano?

My honest opinion:

Sram:
Shifts more cleanly
Easier to adjust
Cable drag doesn't affect it as much

Shimano:
Considerably stronger

But still neither company have made one that runs comfortably outboard of Hayes levers... the lever body hits the body of the friggin shifter, or the shifter is so close to the grip that I hit it accidentally.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
it doesnt feel like the cable is stretching when you shift, you click and it goes. it has a very positive feel, the impulse shifter is WAY better than rapid fire, there is no big housing loop commin out of the back of the derailuer, and the cage doesnt come up and hit your frame on big bumps. plus it looks coolr. most of these are subjective, but i cant think of a benefit shimano has over sram. i dunno about strength, but i broke my XT today (why i bought the x-0) and after the derailuer was bent by the rock, the housing loop on the back got caught and broke my shifter cable.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
i dunno about strength, but i broke my XT today (why i bought the x-0) and after the derailuer was bent by the rock, the housing loop on the back got caught and broke my shifter cable.
I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but one of my X9s lasted one ride, the other lasted 2... that's pathetic.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
well instead of just saying they broke, tell us what on them broke, and how.
Thanks for saying that MGB.

Tell us what the circumstances are of your failures. just saying "it broke as i was JRA" doesnt really mean alot....

For my record, ive never broken a shimano chain like everyone else seems to... 230+ rider too. Ive busted shimano shifters and have a drawer full of bent, twisted or otherwise non functioning shimano deraillers. Now who knows what luck ill have with the sram, but so far ive launched my bike a few good times and only slightly bent the upshift paddle on the rear x-9.

Im not one to put huge statements that product X sucks, or product Y is the best in the world, or to change my avatar to say the same thing...If someone asks ill try to give my honest thoughts and provide some good info to back it up........

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
well instead of just saying they broke, tell us what on them broke, and how.
One of them broke through the main parallel link bit (fully snapped) after the bike fell over whilst upside down and must have landed the derailleur on a rock (with only the weight of the bike on it, I was a bit surprised). The other one caught the cage on rocks a couple of times (as you do on rocky tracks), and cracked through where the spring is connected up near the hanger bolt. It should be noted that the derailleur hanger is still dead straight, after both these incidents. The first one could have been just an unlucky hit, but the second one was pretty disappointing.

The shifter really did just shït itself whilst JRA... don't know how it happened, but it snapped a little metal tab inside the downshift paddle. I was just entering a singletrack bit off a wide-open stretch, downshifted a few gears, then went to do it again soon after for a real slow bit, and it just pushed straight through without shifting, and didn't return.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Originally posted by thaflyinfatman
One of them broke through the main parallel link bit (fully snapped) after the bike fell over whilst upside down and must have landed the derailleur on a rock (with only the weight of the bike on it, I was a bit surprised). The other one caught the cage on rocks a couple of times (as you do on rocky tracks), and cracked through where the spring is connected up near the hanger bolt. It should be noted that the derailleur hanger is still dead straight, after both these incidents. The first one could have been just an unlucky hit, but the second one was pretty disappointing.

The shifter really did just shït itself whilst JRA... don't know how it happened, but it snapped a little metal tab inside the downshift paddle. I was just entering a singletrack bit off a wide-open stretch, downshifted a few gears, then went to do it again soon after for a real slow bit, and it just pushed straight through without shifting, and didn't return.
A crash like those would break any deraillieur. The shifters could have been an after effect from those crashes.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
also the spring on x.9 and alot stiffer then xt derailers. i was playing with one 2 nights ago. i also demoed them for a day, being able to shift down into a harder gear with out letting off the brake is cool to.

i will be getting some x.7 this year. and next year sram 8spd!

biker3

Turbo Monkey
i really don't like there new trigger shifter at all. Maybe its because Im used to shimano they just dont seem to fit my hands well. The shifting was nice but I don't think it beats my XTR rapid fire, XTR rapid rise combo with an 11-17 ultegra cassette. Thats what I just got on my bike and I couldn't be happier. The Rapid ride also has a bump stop on it so when it slams your chainstays its quite:p but sram does make nice stuff it just seems to break on me and lots of other people.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I run an Xt w/ SRAM Attacks (old)

I'm considering going full SRAM this next drivetrain overhall.

Which group or which combo. Is one more durable than the other. Say x.0 vs x.9 ? I prefer durability to weight if the difference is minimal in Gms.

Or should I stick w/ 2:1 Srams and my old XT rear ?

My thinking at this point is X-9 rear w/ X9 shifters a pc99 chain. Not sure which cassete 11-34 is my only spec on that.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Just piping in as another happy user of the SRAM X9 triggers and X0 derailleur.

Honestly thatflyinfatman, I think you just had a run of bad luck, everyone else I've talked to that runs SRAM, including downhillers, says the SRAM derailleur is much stronger.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by tartosuc
anybody is using the sram triggers with shimano deraillers?

how is it?
I think it's really cool that SRAM gives customers that option. But I think there are not very many people who would use Shimano derailleurs with SRAM shifters :confused:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I run an xt trigger and older med cage xtr rear. No SRAM der (I've tried 3) works as well or is nearly as durable. I like triggers for the rear so I can downshift while braking. Haven't had a chance to try the SRAM triggers on a bike, maybe I will IF my xt ever fails or I break it.

But I run a X-something grip shifter for the front, so I can trim front der. rub better than you can with a trigger.

This setup works great, but buying grips is a bitch...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
my only complaint, is whats the deal with the faux carbon patterning on a high end item like this? is like the mercedes AMG model's b-pillars :confused:

:D :D :D
I think the idea with the "faux" carbon is that the derailleur uses some composite parts which basically look like "cheap black plastic" parts to the average guy. So to bring attention to those parts they paint them to look like carbon fiber. It might help convince said average guy that such a derailleur is actually worth almost $200. As swanky and cool looking as XO is, I will stick with XT short cage for now. but with all the rapid-rise and MTB STI's I may change soon, who knows? It will take a lot to pull me away from good ole' Shimano.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
ive had a number of nasty driveside-down crashes since buying my X0, and not only has it not bent or broken.... all the links and pivots are still perfectly tight, no play at all. i think what might cause the strength issue, is it doesnt pivot around the hanger like shimano (hence the lack of chainstay slap) so if you are in a larger ring, and it takes a hit from the bottom, it isnt going to fold up against the frame like shimano. anyway, the thread got revived, so i was just tuning in to say, it only ges better. been to a race with it now, and it just kicks ass! instant shifting :)

Had to dig packed in dirt out of it after this one:)

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
My bike is fully non-Shimano.

I don't even have a Shimano compatible freehub body.

You can't even use my chain on any Shimano cassettes.

Hmm....

Come to think of it, it's SRAM free too!!

:D

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
^sweet ride^

ive gone through 3 shimano derailurs in 6 months. im fcking tired of it. next time it breaks im gettin me a sram.

incidents

-i went down a little 2 foot drop, and for some freakish reason, the der. got stuck in my spokes, ive got a pretty nice wheelset, and it only bent a spoke, and it bent the siht outta my der. hanger, and destroyed my der.

- just riding a lil bmx track, case a lil jump, roller mamob falls off, and i cant get my der. to work agian.

-i cant even remember... w/e,, i hope the srams are nice..

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by Rip
A crash like those would break any deraillieur. The shifters could have been an after effect from those crashes.
I'd agree, but the second one wasn't caused by any crashing, and the shifter went first.

According to the local SRAM dude, there's going to be a NEW x9 design around in a few months, beefed up to be something closer to the x0.

Originally posted by Echo
Just piping in as another happy user of the SRAM X9 triggers and X0 derailleur.

Honestly thatflyinfatman, I think you just had a run of bad luck, everyone else I've talked to that runs SRAM, including downhillers, says the SRAM derailleur is much stronger.
I have had bad luck there for sure, but the fact that my Shimano derailleurs stood up to the same kind of punishment for probably 100 times as much riding (and still didn't break) kind of makes me dislike the x9's strength. And which derailleur are you referring to saying that it's "much stronger"? Because I don't know ANY x9 owners (and I can think of 4 off the top of my head, plus myself) who have not damaged/broken at least 1 derailleur in the last 3 months. By comparison, I know way more people running Shimano, and have seen ONE bent Shimano derailleur in the same time frame.

I'm now running an X7, haven't ridden it yet, but I'll see how it goes tomorry. If it breaks soon, GOODBYE SRAM.

J

J5ive

Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
My bike is fully non-Shimano.

I don't even have a Shimano compatible freehub body.

You can't even use my chain on any Shimano cassettes.

Hmm....

Come to think of it, it's SRAM free too!!

:D
Old skool DX copy pedal :P