Quantcast

Shimano Hone Crank for DH

01yz125

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
im currently running the truvativ hussefelts w/howitzer BB and am wanting to loose a little weight. i was wondering if the Shimano Hone cranks were stiff and durable enough for DH?
Thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've heard nothing but good things. Get the 2 ring version, though. It's got a steel spindle as opposed to Al and steel pedal inserts. More DH oriented.

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
I bent a pair at Downieville this year, however I hit a rock going a million mph, and that will probably do it to any crank.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i ran xt outboard cranks for 2 seasons without fault so i dont see why these wouldn't be more than enough

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
He asked about the Hone's - a little heavier and not as strong as the XT's.

So , this is actualy interesting , anyone with real experience ?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I bent the spindle on a set of 3 ring hones, but that wasn't til after many a cased jump on my hardtail. I woulda replaced them w/ the 2 ring hones, but found a closeout deal on diabolus instead...
BTW, I'm 185 lbs w/o gear and not the smoothest jumper. YMMV

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I have Hones on my SXT, but haven't ridden it enough to really say at this point. They do seem rather stiff so I was pleasantly surprised. I only have a few runs at Downieville and a couple of local trail rides in so far. That being said, they are cheap and I wouldn't hesitate to use them on a Dh bike. If they do bend, well at least they weren't $325.

pieno

Chimp
Sep 20, 2005
The 2 ring version has steel spindle and pedal inserts. The 3 ring version has an al spindle and no pedal inserts. Get the 2 ring version for DH

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
X-post of mine from FARKIN.NET :

A french mag by the name of "VTT Magazine" has tested a bunch of outboard bearing cranksets in their Mar.05 issue.

They used a rig to measure flex in the crank arms and the Saint crankset turned out to be the stiffest....

The RF (Diabolus) were 1288grams (incl.BB) and it took 57.5 N/m to flex it by 1 millimeter.
The Saints came in at 1108g and took 67.0 N/m to flex the same amount !!!

Other interesting results were -
XTR 790g - 53.8 N/m
XT 862g - 52.4 N/m
Hone+LX 926g - 50.7 N/m
Truvativ Stylo 884g - 52.6 N/m
RF Evolve DH 1232g - 54.7 N/m
RF Atlas 948g - 54.0 N/m
FSA K-Force (carbon) 854g - 58.8 N/m ! "

So, for the 05 model year , the Hone and LX had the same weight and same stiffness characteristics.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
X-post of mine from FARKIN.NET :

A french mag by the name of "VTT Magazine" has tested a bunch of outboard bearing cranksets in their Mar.05 issue.

They used a rig to measure flex in the crank arms and the Saint crankset turned out to be the stiffest....

The RF (Diabolus) were 1288grams (incl.BB) and it took 57.5 N/m to flex it by 1 millimeter.
The Saints came in at 1108g and took 67.0 N/m to flex the same amount !!!

Other interesting results were -
XTR 790g - 53.8 N/m
XT 862g - 52.4 N/m
Hone+LX 926g - 50.7 N/m
Truvativ Stylo 884g - 52.6 N/m
RF Evolve DH 1232g - 54.7 N/m
RF Atlas 948g - 54.0 N/m
FSA K-Force (carbon) 854g - 58.8 N/m ! "

So, for the 05 model year , the Hone and LX had the same weight and same stiffness characteristics.

Interesting.

When i got to see the new RockShox stuff, we were all shown a video where Saints, Diabolous and the new OCT Truvativs were tested in the lab. The test was designed to bend the cranks to the failure point. The machine pulled up on the cranks from both ends, while the BB was held in place.

The Saints failed first, right at the axle. Diabolous were the strongest, and failed last. They gave up at some crazy weight, something like 4700 pounds. I can't quite remember the actual numbers, it was a while ago.

The OCTs failed right in the middle, but they were also the lightest.

Take it for what its worth.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
Interesting.

When i got to see the new RockShox stuff, we were all shown a video where Saints, Diabolous and the new OCT Truvativs were tested in the lab. The test was designed to bend the cranks to the failure point. The machine pulled up on the cranks from both ends, while the BB was held in place.

The Saints failed first, right at the axle. Diabolous were the strongest, and failed last. They gave up at some crazy weight, something like 4700 pounds. I can't quite remember the actual numbers, it was a while ago.

The OCTs failed right in the middle, but they were also the lightest.

Take it for what its worth.
Hmmm, very interesting ...
Well the french magazine did not break the cranksets - they only tried to bend and measure how much torque is needed to bend them by 1mm.
The photos showed the Cannondale's flex measuring rig with dial gauges poking the crank arms .

Do you think that video is available to the public ?