Quantcast

Shimano MP66 with Crank Brothers Mallets?

tailwind

Chimp
Mar 15, 2008
Anyone currently running Shimano MP66 (the BMX/DH SPD shoe) with the currently 08' Crank Brothers Mallet with pins?
Any problems running this combo?

I've read that the Shimano shoes are not always compatible with other clipless pedals.
I would consider the Shimano PD-M647 pedal they were designed to be used with, but I like the idea of the pins in the new Mallets, since I'm most used to flats and would like the extra traction when not clipped in.

Thanks for the help.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Been on that set up all summer, works awsome. I run 1 spacer under the cleats, no additional trimming of the shoes needed. I run Shimano XC shoes as well, the pins add a nice, extra stability on them as well.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I run that exactly setup. I also run 1 spacer under each cleat. The hit a little on the pavement when walking but the come out very easily,(when you want them to). They stay in great and are super comfortable. I highly recommend that setup

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I run it for trail riding and some DH races. No spacers at all under the cleats. Works really well, although I would like to try 647 pedals instead- I'm sick of wearing out my cleats every few months.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Make sure your cleats are secure. I used to run this setup and didn't crank them down enough. The cleat wouldn't come out, and I ended up laying it down and trying to find a rick to pry the cleat out with. Awkward...