Quantcast

Shimano Saint doing rims now???

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Just saw this on dirt, may have already been posted. But looks like the Athertons have saint rims, or is that just some nice stickers..?

Anyone got any info on them?? ohhhh and the new parts they have is that part of shimano too?:busted:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
sorry, no precise info/specs

Shimano HQ Japan has tooons of stuff you've never seen, never will see, or soon to be seen.. since i believe the Athertons are set up direct through shimano japan, it's not surprising to see these on their rigs. hell, they've been doin fine w/ all their XC wheels/rims... not too surprising to see them do a DH rim.

Shimano makes pleanty of bike parts besides brakes & drivetrains... they've been making seatposts, stems (seen on the dirt site), bars & more for years (on the road/xc side)... just not promoted (& don't necessarily show the "shimano" name).

I had a buddy from shimano walkin through the pits at fontucky checking out various dh bar measurements, bends & more,... askin me questions about what i liked & didn't like... so i wouldn't be surprised to see a full on Shimano componentry package (like the 'good old days') in 2010-ish

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Cool. I'd like to see closer pics of the rims and nipples. Hubs too. A Saint wheelset would rock!

edit: Is tere already a thread on the Conti tires? No sharpie there.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dylan Dean... I'll only accept a full saint grouppo (d-train, brakes, bars, wheels, stem, etc) as a "good ole days" kind of deal if they do it in purple ano.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ill take everything but the damn chainrings. They can keep those overpriced peice of paperweights.
As a responce to the OP, Yes, thats a Saint wheel, wether or not it will be released has yet to be announced. SHimano did a great job with there xc and all mountain tubless ready sets, I dont see why they wouldnt do great for DH as well, in fact I know more than a few people that are already running the AM for DH<socal> and they hold up just find.

Only thing that scares me about seeing a Saint wheel....Price...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For as large of a company as Shimano, and with the associated resources, you'd think they could manufacture a hub with a higher engagement pawl system.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
For as large of a company as Shimano, and with the associated resources, you'd think they could manufacture a hub with a higher engagement pawl system.
You'd also think they could make a sealed cartridge bearing hub, but they choose not to in spite of the obvious shortcomings of cup and cone setups.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
Looks like the same setup as the Shimano XTRs, albeit with a little wider rim. I would be interested to see how they ride. On my XC setup, I went from Mavic Crossmax SLRs to the XTRs and found the XTRs extremely flexy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What I think it would be a good idea is to use air to shift your derailleurs. Then if you set the derailleur spring up so it would help you to shift to big cog instead of the little. And if you changed the chainrings from oval to a shape which would maximize your pedaling efforts.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
What I think it would be a good idea is to use air to shift your derailleurs. Then if you set the derailleur spring up so it would help you to shift to big cog instead of the little. And if you changed the chainrings from oval to a shape which would maximize your pedaling efforts.
Air shifting is so 1999. The new hottness is midget shifting! You have a little guy strapped to your chain stay that uses a lever connected to the derail. You don't even need to know the shifting up/down high/low terminology. You just yell harder or easier. All the blackbox riders are going to be using them this season. I even heard Sram gave Sam Hill two midgets, one for up and one to shift down. And keeping with the whole truvativ naming formula, all the midgets are named Gunther. Look for the "Womens Specific" midgets, Helga, around early 2011

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You'd also think they could make a sealed cartridge bearing hub, but they choose not to in spite of the obvious shortcomings of cup and cone setups.
The idea behind it is correct. Ideally a hub should have angular contact bearings like of those we find in a headset, but that would likely greatly increase the cost of a hubset based on the necessary size it would need to be as angular contact bearings are a good bit more expensive than your normal ball bearing. Shimano gets around this by essentially making a cheap angular contact bearing assembly in their hubs. Of course one of the biggest detriments to angular contact bearings is flaking and failure due to an excessive axial preloading. Shimano hubs need to be preloaded, and therefore they usually fail.

I with you that Shimano just needs to suck it up and use what everyone else is using at this point.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
The one nice thing about a cup and cone bearing assembly is the ease of maintenance. You can rip apart and re-grease the hubs every day if you wanted to. For a team with a mechanic this would make a lot of sense.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The one nice thing about a cup and cone bearing assembly is the ease of maintenance. You can rip apart and re-grease the hubs every day if you wanted to. For a team with a mechanic this would make a lot of sense.
Hmmmm.

FYI, back in the ancient days, a lot of teams were using Ultegra sealed BB's instead of the loose ball Dura-Ace BB's, to minimize on maintenance.

I got an Ultegra and it still spins fine after 5 years.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
yeah I remember that. That actually came from the Dura-ace BBs having a design flaw when they first switched over to the larger octalink BB spindle and they would loosen themselves over time. Many of the teams would still use the DA BB on their time trial bikes because of the lower rolling resistance and the fact they would only see 30-50kms of use a month.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The idea behind it is correct. Ideally a hub should have angular contact bearings like of those we find in a headset, but that would likely greatly increase the cost of a hubset based on the necessary size it would need to be as angular contact bearings are a good bit more expensive than your normal ball bearing. Shimano gets around this by essentially making a cheap angular contact bearing assembly in their hubs. Of course one of the biggest detriments to angular contact bearings is flaking and failure due to an excessive axial preloading. Shimano hubs need to be preloaded, and therefore they usually fail.

I with you that Shimano just needs to suck it up and use what everyone else is using at this point.
I agree, they're great in theory because of the angular bearings. But in reality, the cones often come loose, and when they get grit and stuff in them, they kill the entire hub body because the cups get pitted. You can't just replace $10 worth of bearings and have the thing good to go again.

Yes, but you also NEED to maintain them a lot more than cartridge bearing hubs. Even my cheap-arse WTB hubs went FIVE YEARS without me having to do anything to the bearings. Five years. Try and get two months out of a cup and cone setup that you're riding hard without needing to adjust it at least.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In 2008 Shimano started making lighter XT hubs and they are also 36 pt 10 degree engagement which is comparable or better than the hubs made by hope, mavic (improved for 09 though), and a few others. Yes there are others that are even better but 10 degree is not bad.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yes, but you also NEED to maintain them a lot more than cartridge bearing hubs. Even my cheap-arse WTB hubs went FIVE YEARS without me having to do anything to the bearings. Five years. Try and get two months out of a cup and cone setup that you're riding hard without needing to adjust it at least.
I managed to get over 2 years out of an XT hub, never touched it once. Then again it was in a Demo 8, so there was pretty much 0 lateral loads on the thing. Not saying they're great, but I have had good experiences.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Hell no. 72 at least, 108 ideally (spoken like a true Hadley fan).
So what arguments would you have to support companies like I9, Hadley and King if Shimano makes a 108 poe cartrige bearing hub that costs half of the other offerings? You are trying to put your favourite companies out of buisness! :busted:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
There is nothing wrong with a looseball hub, that is if your smart enough to keep your dust seals in good shape, and you actually know beter than to have them feel tight when there not actually on the bike. Set them up properly, they dont come loose, and they do roll better than cart bearings, unless you cough it up for ceramics, but thats kinda a waste in my opinion for DH use.
Same time I can also see the beauty of being able to swap a bearing when a race gets damaged instead of costing an entire hub.

Biggest downfall I can see for DH use of a looseball hub......Through axle use......While you can make a looseball hub into a bolt on relativly easily, I do like being to swap an axle with major ease at the races.

Oh, and for the record, my last xt hub had a solid 6 years on it, and it was still rolling great when I sold it.

Debate it all day long, they both have there pluses, they both have there downfalls.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There is nothing wrong with a looseball hub. Set them up properly, they dont come loose, and they do roll better than cart bearings.
Seriously, a good loose ball hub can be phenomenal if set up properly. I've got a pair of 20+ year old Campy Record hubs in my basement somewhere that are unbelievably smooth, even after all these years. Loose ball hubs tend to get a bad rap, I think, because 1) nobody makes really great ones anymore and 2) some people just can't set them up properly.

Shimano will never go away from a cup/cone setup on their hubs. Because you can not get any other kind of hub to roll as smoothly and perfectly as a high end cup/cone setup. The seals on a cartidge bearing hub create drag, therefore it wont roll as smoothly as a properly setup cup/cone.

Also the a cartridge bearing is setup to take a uni-directional load great, that perfectly vertical load on a cartridge bearing is fine and won't damage it, but the side loads that happen when turning is what wears out a cartridge bearing. Whereas, on a cup/cone setup can take side loads MUCH better, and therefore wont wear out due to all the different loads that a wheel takes.

So, they won't change it, and they shouldn't. The hubs work better and last an insanely long time when maintained and adjusted as designed.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Looks like they are conventional j bend spokes too.
Cup and cone hubs can work great, can roll great.
I don't think they are sealed from the elements near as well as a cartridge bearing. And when the race goes bad the hub is trashed.. which sucks.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Looks like they are conventional j bend spokes too.
Cup and cone hubs can work great, can roll great.
I don't think they are sealed from the elements near as well as a cartridge bearing. And when the race goes bad the hub is trashed.. which sucks.
Saint hub races can be removed from the hub body.