Quantcast

Shimano SLX

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just noticed these. They sell a shadow, top normal, medium cage der for significantly less than XT

Is this group the new "Hone"
The cranks look decent too.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
where'd you find them? since hone was discontinued, i think i'm going to get a set of these cranks.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
It is the Hone range that's been renamed.

For me the cranks would be interesting if they come in 165mm. Shimano finally came to their sences about the XT's, so I hope the Hones followed their example.

I noticed before that the XT rear mech now comes with the "extra hard spring", something only the XTR did in -07! Dunno about the Hone but if it doesn't I think the extra € for the XT is worth it.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
165 XTs have been around for a while, I bought mine about a year and a half ago...but it seems like many think that they are not made. My guess is it is a country by country distibution issue.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
165 XTs have been around for a while, I bought mine about a year and a half ago...but it seems like many think that they are not made. My guess is it is a country by country distibution issue.
I've been checking their website every now and then for the last year and it's not until this past month or two that they've been listed.. Well, that's how I remember it anyways.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
There looks to be no 165 slx coming to aus, not sure if thats because they are not made though. Does anyone know if the cranks have the same deal as last years hones? IE- triple has dud alloy axle and no inserts?

Parts look like they hit a good price point. Front 20mm hub is around $65aus, which is pretty reasonable.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I've been checking their website every now and then for the last year and it's not until this past month or two that they've been listed.. Well, that's how I remember it anyways.
There looks to be no 165 slx coming to aus, not sure if thats because they are not made though. Does anyone know if the cranks have the same deal as last years hones? IE- triple has dud alloy axle and no inserts?

Parts look like they hit a good price point. Front 20mm hub is around $65aus, which is pretty reasonable.
165's will most likely not be a problem to get, I just dont expect them to be listed on there wbesite for awhile. Just like teh xt's, they were available, just not listed on the website

Last edited:

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i'm actually more interested in this group than the new saint stuff. i think a mix of this stuff and the xt group could end up making the perfect AM/FR gruopo. that group and some of the new fork and frames that are coming available we could start making truthfully do everything bikes. ones that are strong enough for a fair amount of dh riding, though not full time dh, and still be light enough for xc/trail riding. i have been looking for that bike for a really long time now and have pretty much built one.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
are the new slx cranks gona come in 83mm BB?
no, not from what i've see so far. everything is basically "nicer" LX stuff.

the only real difference the cranks are from XT. is the middle ring is fiberglass/steel instead of carbon/steel

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
The cranks have pedal inserts in steel, don't they? That's the only thing I miss in the XT's.
only the dual ring setup. the 3 ring doesn't have that option.

plus now shimano has this "compact" mtn setup.... 22/36 you know what other people have been running for years now.. but they made a specific front der to go with it. awesome, thanks shimano.:bonk:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
only the dual ring setup. the 3 ring doesn't have that option.

plus now shimano has this "compact" mtn setup.... 22/36 you know what other people have been running for years now.. but they made a specific front der to go with it. awesome, thanks shimano.:bonk:
Hah, yeh they aren't the quickest to catch on some times..

With the dual ring, nice!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Most intersting is the 11-28 9 speed SLX cassette mentioned in the sicklines writeup on '09 Saint. I checked the Shimano SLX site and it isn't mentioned though. I hope it isn't vaporware :(

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Most intersting is the 11-28 9 speed SLX cassette mentioned in the sicklines writeup on '09 Saint. I checked the Shimano SLX site and it isn't mentioned though. I hope it isn't vaporware :(
It is considered Saint/LX level I believe. CS-HG80-9 11/12/13/14/16/18/21*/24*/28* (* = on spider)

-ska todd

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
It is considered Saint/LX level I believe. CS-HG80-9 11/12/13/14/16/18/21*/24*/28* (* = on spider)

-ska todd
doesn't appear on the Shimano site, but it sounds like it real enough.
11-28 seems like a great spread for DH. I've been using a 12-27 ultegra, which is a good spread, but I'd like a tad more range than that ;)

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
11-28 seems like a great spread for DH. I've been using a 12-27 ultegra, which is a good spread, but I'd like a tad more range than that ;)
Ditto, but it will probably be quite heavy. I checked if the XTR came in 11-30 a few days ago, but no, only 11-32 and 11-34. Guess one could take away the three biggest cogs from one of them (and run a spacer), but will the spread for DH be too big among the ones left? Most sertainly will for agro trail riding.

Wrench

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005

-ska todd

Yo, You ready to get back on a bike yet or are you still broken?

SLX is a replacement group for LX which has been converted into a causal use group. We just started to receive it in last week but not the full SLX line as of yet.

HG61 is the model and no 11-28 as of yet. I do have 11-32 and 11-34 in stock a long with some cranks and stuff.

HG80 will be the Saint models and that follows the line of XT.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Yo, You ready to get back on a bike yet or are you still broken?

SLX is a replacement group for LX which has been converted into a causal use group. We just started to receive it in last week but not the full SLX line as of yet.
I am still broken for another 3 or 4 weeks. PM's handbook lists it as "Saint/LX". I guess 11-28T would be good for commuter bike use too.

-ska todd

Wrench

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
I am still broken for another 3 or 4 weeks. PM's handbook lists it as "Saint/LX". I guess 11-28T would be good for commuter bike use too.

-ska todd

Not good, Rode this weekend and the shoulder stayed in place, sore as hell today thou.

At the Aftermarket meeting they pitched the Saint group as an XT level and SLX as a rebranded LX group. I haven't looked at there web site lately.