Quantcast

Shimrestackor? Anyone tried...

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Has anyone tried - http://www.shimrestackor.com/index.htm
Seems like even more fun than a copy of Linkage!
Anyways, might be of interest to anyone who works on their bike instead of typing MOAR!!!
To me it seems like a good idea, I seem to be tuning bikes for kids that grow out of tunes every 6 months, and my random guessing is wearing a little thin. If anyone has any other good resources please post here aswell.

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I've been using it a bit lately. It's a tech geek program, if you don't have a maths/physics background then chances are you're going to struggle to get good info out of it - like most "real" calculation programs.

Also, you need to REALLY know what you're doing if you're going to bother trying to model any shocks other than a Van R or RC in it. Anything with a boost valve or poppet valves you can more or less forget about unless you're prepared to do a flying ****load of calculations to get effective values to plug into ReStackor.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
That program seems like it was easier to write than use.
Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion it was probably somebody's PhD thesis or something, that he's later decided to sell. It's a really cool calculator from the technical point of view - the guy has managed to use Excel alone to perform what is essentially a simultaneous combination of finite element analysis and fluid flow analysis - and quickly too. There are some seriously expensive software packages out there that can't do what this does. However, the user interface of ReStackor is fairly technical and unnecessarily so IMO. But for $63 or whatever it costs for the full version, that is VERY easy to look past.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Okay, thanks socket. I guess I wont bother then as I doubt I'll have the knowledge to get anything valuable out of it, I had wondered about the "garbage in, garbage out" factor. I'd hoped that I could compare one shimstack against another with the assumption that the shock is a constant, and I haven't found any literature to play catch up with you engineering boys (and girls). If your keen to give some hints on suggested reading though....

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Okay, thanks socket. I guess I wont bother then as I doubt I'll have the knowledge to get anything valuable out of it, I had wondered about the "garbage in, garbage out" factor. I'd hoped that I could compare one shimstack against another with the assumption that the shock is a constant, and I haven't found any literature to play catch up with you engineering boys (and girls). If your keen to give some hints on suggested reading though....
You can compare one shim stack against another on a given piston, that part is pretty easy, the hard bit is accounting for all the less simple stuff that isn't just a shim stack on a piston - like anything with shim preload of any kind, any valves that aren't just shimmed (boost valves, poppet valves etc). You also have to measure the damper internals pretty accurately.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
As Socket said, it's really useful for full shimmed dampers. Anything with a platform valve or anything funny like that isn't going to fly with that program. Found it particularly useful for tuning Showa Twin Chamber forks. Lots of info available for that application with Restackor online.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What are you running now then?
On a revalved 40 now doing some testing and tune development for a local suspension tuner (Tekin Suspension) and pretty happy with it so far. Got pretty fed up with the Boxxer as a whole, the damper design isn't the greatest, the seals weren't much good, the spring rate of the air cart sucked (though I had them with a coil in there recently and that helped) etc etc. I haven't sold the fork yet, I plan on working it a bit more before I totally abandon it, I'm just not blown away by the thing. The 40 has just been revalved and nothing else special, and it's already excellent. The only reason I even want to persist with the Boxxer is just because I can, not because I think it'll end up being the better fork once I've done all I can.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Nothing compares to having a dyno and doing tuning based on experimentation and not-so-complex calculations.

brb buying a 8,000 usd dyno