Quantcast

Shipping Dilema, I need some advise

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I sold my DOC in the end of January, shipped it out the 20th to be exact. Fedex originally thought that they lost the whole box, but then it turned up the first week of February. The box was damaged, the Pike was gone, and the rear axle assembaly on the Deemax rear wheel was broken. I submitted a claim through Fedex last week, and theyre still "investigating" my claim. The insurance on the shipment will cover the fork and wheel parts, its just a matter of waiting for them to come through. The guy who bought the bike is becoming rather fed up with the whole situation, as am I. Right now he is asking me to buy him a fork, and get the parts for the wheel and ship that all off to him, then wait for fedex to pay me back. I however do not have $400 or so to spend on parts so he can ride his bike that Fedex made unrideable. I think that I should just wait Fedex out and then give him the money or get him the parts he wants. I sold this bike to pay to repair a blown head gasket and do a valve job on my truck, so all of the money from the sale is gone, and money is very tight for me right now. Im really confused as to how I should handle this situation, what do you guys think I should do?

J

JRB

I got my Dean and it was broken. UPS handled the claim within 3 weeks, but Dean took 4 months to repair and paint it. I waited a long time to ride it. It wasn't the Dan's, the guy I bought it from, fault, but I didn't feel like I should be out $500 for it though. Stay on FedEx. If they admitted fault, they should pay up soon.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yeah, you shouldn't have to front for it...get on fed ex's arse and make them pay up. it's not your fault it got damaged in shipping...

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
the only thing that has worked for me is to just keep hammering on them almost on a daily basis to check on the status of it.
wish i could help more...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I say it's not your fault FedEx damaged the package, so why should you cover it? It's good that you had it insured, otherwise I would say your screwed.

I wouldn't cover the costs even if I had the money because it left your hands ready to go. I don't blame the guy for being upset, but the bottom line is it isn't your fault the shipment didn't go as well as either of you would like.

You should have sold it to me and none of this would be an issue ;)

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Curb Hucker said:
I however do not have $400 or so to spend on parts so he can ride his bike that Fedex made unrideable. I think that I should just wait Fedex out and then give him the money or get him the parts he wants. I sold this bike to pay to repair a blown head gasket and do a valve job on my truck, so all of the money from the sale is gone, and money is very tight for me right now. Im really confused as to how I should handle this situation, what do you guys think I should do?

Says the guy trying to buy bike parts...
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144430

It's not your fault, but it's not his fault either. Right now, he's the one who's SOL. How about splitting the cost of the parts for the time being until it goes through?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
kidwoo said:
Aww snap!!
Not to mention the guy talking about putting 25k worth of upgrades into his Land Rover :rolleyes:

I'm not sure your obligated to help the guy, but I probably would considering FedEx is going to write the check out to you.

If you don't have the money, you don't have the money, though.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
binary visions said:
Not to mention the guy talking about putting 25k worth of upgrades into his Land Rover :rolleyes:
Ya, if it was April then I would have already bought this guy parts to make his headache go away. As of now, I barely have any money at all. I run a landscaping business that wont provide me with any income until the grass starts growing in late march. As of right now Im down to almost nothing and looking to get some cheap used parts to finish building my DH rig until I have steady income and can make it good. Right now Im not making much more than what it costs me to pay the truck off and keep it filled up.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
he should understand that it's not your fault. if he's that eager, he can go buy the stuff, then you can hand him over the check that FedEx writes you.

but you should not be buying parts if money is tight.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
he should understand that it's not your fault. if he's that eager, he can go buy the stuff, then you can hand him over the check that FedEx writes you.

but you should not be buying parts if money is tight.
On the other guys hand, and I understand Don's situation, I didn't have $500 to blow when UPS broke my Dean, but it was me out the $500. The guy never offered to split it with me until I could ride the bike. I thought that was lame. I understand Don not having money though.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That sucks Don. Hassle the crap out of FedEx on this to get your investigation resolved.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
GumbaFish said:
The fork was missing? Last time I checked they don't just slide out by accident...sketchy.
Bike was taken apart. Yes its gone, and when I called fedex today and spoke with someone at their overgoods facility where all misplaced shipments and parts of shipments go they said they dont have anything that looks like a pike at their place. The thing was shipped in a box that said Turner on the side. Im beginning to think someone from fedex stole the thing.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Oh when I have had bikes shipped to me the fork was still attached to the stem so you would have to take the stem off to get the fork off, which would obviously leave any questions over it being stolen laid to rest.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Once you ship the bike, it's out of your hands. As long as you have proof that you shipped it, and they damaged it, he will just have to wait until the claim is settled.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
They will pay up on the claim since they lost it, but Fedex claims takes forever (longer than UPS). You WILL get the moneys, so if you can squeeze it, I'd try to talk to the guy about splitting the cost.

Was it the top of the line 05 Pikey?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, Were did you sell this bike??? Ebay?? something like that??. Here is teh scary part. You sold a Product, your responsible to make sure he gets it. Fedex will pay the claim, But if they take too long the guy CAN take legal action. Sorry to Burst anyone Bubbles about this, i Saw alot of"Its not your fault shipping went bad..." Well in fact it is in a way. You chose to go with fedex as your shipper. It is good you bought the insurance so your going to be covered. But As a seller your responcable to make sure your customer receives there product as it was promised. A quick worst case Scenario. You sell a bike on Ebay, Box it up, and ship it. You decide to Wave the insurance, During shipping teh Bike is Dropped and Gets run over by a forklift and is damaged in a way making it Unridable. You then are Required to refund the money paid because the Customer did not receive the Promised product. Ebay inparticular is one that will help on the customer end of things. I wish the best for getting the claim done quickly and hope the new owner gets to ride soon enough that he gets off your back. Sorry about harsh news too, i know its Probably not what you wanted to hear...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You do take some sort of liability when you release the bike to be shipped. It's your signature on the shipping contract, not the buyers. If Fedex takes forever (In my experience, average of 2 months), you can get ****ed.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I can understand the buyer being upset.. but its not your fault.. dont spend any money.. explain that fedex is seeing into the problem and that they will take care of it.. the buyer needs to be a little patient and understanding

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Just keeps pestering them. They should take care of it soon. Tell the guy to chill out and its not your fault. I am almost willing to bet it was someone at FedEx who stole the stuff.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
So let me get this straight. I order an Ironhorse from Supergo, and they ship it but along the way some parts come up missing and damaged, I should just suck it up. Y'all are really going to sit by with damaged goods from a store and not expect immediate replacement?

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
So let me get this straight. I order an Ironhorse from Supergo, and they ship it but along the way some parts come up missing and damaged, I should just suck it up. Y'all are really going to sit by with damaged goods from a store and not expect immediate replacement?
I agree. I think Don is responsible until the part is replaced, or the money is refunded. I don't understand how anyone can think it is the purchaser's, who has never touched the item, responsibility. :confused: It is too bad for Don, but it's a good idea to keep money from a sale until everyone has said everything is cool. I know it's hard, but that's what should happen. As I said before, I didn't think it was cool that I was without my Dean frame that I had $500 in for many months. I am making a list of people not to do deals with from this thread. Your responsibilities don't change because you don't have a store.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
it's a good idea to keep money from a sale until everyone has said everything is cool.
I agree with that completely. The whole, "I already spent it" isn't acceptable. You never know what's gonna happen - what if the guy got the frame and found a hairline crack in the headtube or something that was your fault? "Too bad, I already spent it"?

Like I said, if you don't have the money, there's not much that can be done. No use throwing a bucket down a dry well. But don't spend the money until the deal is done.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
I agree with that completely. The whole, "I already spent it" isn't acceptable. You never know what's gonna happen - what if the guy got the frame and found a hairline crack in the headtube or something that was your fault? "Too bad, I already spent it"?

Like I said, if you don't have the money, there's not much that can be done. No use throwing a bucket down a dry well. But don't spend the money until the deal is done.

You didn't make the list, btw.

J

JRB

The postal service was really slow shipping some rings I bought from Colin. The post mark showed he mailed them and that he was straight up. After nearly 2 weeks, I still didn't have them. He said that if they weren't here by the weeks end of last week, he would paypal my $25 back. That was very cool of him. He didn't have to offer, but he realized that it would suck just as much for me to be out $25 for something I had never seen, as it would be for him to be out the money. I thought that was a very straight up way to look at things. Thanks again, Colin.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Whenever I have sold anything online, be it ebay or whatever, I put the money from the sale directly into a savings account and don't touch it no matter what until I am 100% sure that the buyer has received it and is happy.

The way I see it is that it is not my money until the sale is completely finalized. I think Curbhucker screwed up.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This won't help CH now, but it is common shipping practice to specify who bears the risk of loss in transit. When you sell something that needs to be shipped, say in advance that the Buyer assumes the risk of loss or damage in transit or that they can come pick it up personally. But when you buy something that needs to be shipped, say that the Seller bears the risk. :)

J

JRB

Any word on this?

*don't you hate when people email you with this is the subject???

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Curb Hucker said:
Bike was taken apart. Yes its gone, and when I called fedex today and spoke with someone at their overgoods facility where all misplaced shipments and parts of shipments go they said they dont have anything that looks like a pike at their place. The thing was shipped in a box that said Turner on the side. Im beginning to think someone from fedex stole the thing.

I read somwhere about fedex stealing bikes in shipping, really sucks, make sure everyone insures the bike, hopefully in cases like these it will be worth every cent

J

JRB

Curb Hucker said:
I called up and bitched them out yesterday, and sure enough I got called back 20min later and they said a check was on its way.
Awesome - I hoped it would work out like that. :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have used FedEx for bikes because of the cost. But I also insure the hell out of things, but have yet to have an issue.

I hope this works out for you CH.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Whenever I ship something of substantial value I always insure it. One time I shipped out a brand new frame and it dented at the HT in shipping. The lucky guy that bought it got $50 more in a check than what he payed 'cause I over-insured it a little.