Quantcast

Shipping insurance

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Need to ship a frame. Is insurance work the extra $13? Cost isn't a big deal, but I remember some people saying that FedEx didn't do shit even when the shipper had insurance and there was damage to the frame.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I say pay it. At least you’ll have a case if something goes wrong. Otherwise you are 100% SOL.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's how I felt, but I thought I remembered something where maybe @HAB or somebody shipped a frame, it got damaged, and UPS/fedex claimed no responsibility, forced the seller to eat the cost :(

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's how I felt, but I thought I remembered something where maybe @HAB or somebody shipped a frame, it got damaged, and UPS/fedex claimed no responsibility, forced the seller to eat the cost :(
If you use bikeflights, the insurance is provided by them, not Fedex, and they handle the claims as well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Insurance is weird anyway. Had I invested everything that I paid into insurance over the years, my net "worth" would be five times what it is now, even allowing for any claims.
well that's the game with insurance, isn't it? If you didn't carry insurance and got into a crippling accident/situation, your net worth could be zero. It's always risk/reward with insurance- I hope to never need life insurance, but having it is comforting knowing that if the worst happens, the house/car/college is all paid off.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
whenever I've shipped a frame I've taken a bunch of pics of frame, how it was wrapped & boxed, packaging, etc. I send those to the buyer before shipping and keep them until delivered and confirmed that there is no issue. I've had a carrier claim that an item wasn't properly packaged and that was the cause of damage. That would have been an easier argument with packaging pics.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
whenever I've shipped a frame I've taken a bunch of pics of frame, how it was wrapped & boxed, packaging, etc. I send those to the buyer before shipping and keep them until delivered and confirmed that there is no issue. I've had a carrier claim that an item wasn't properly packaged and that was the cause of damage. That would have been an easier argument with packaging pics.
this is what I was going to recommend doing. but if bikeflights does what Hacka says then maybe go with them and let them deal with any problems

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you do ship the insurance, you might want to get insurance for the shipment.