Quantcast

Shiver Question

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
So the top caps of my Shiver has started leaking some oil, and I want this to be fixed before I sell it (plus so I can continue to use it without it losing oil). It sounds like the general consensus on that problem is that the O-rings at the top are worn. However, I don't know if Marzocchi has proprietary O-rings for the Shivers or if there's a generic one I can buy in its place. I'm also kind of unsure of where exactly the O-rings are. I popped off the top cap just for a quick look and couple see one at the bottom of the top cap assembly and the top of the cartridge, so I assume there's some disassembly involved beyond just unscrewing a couple things. Anyone run into this before? Any Marzocchi tech's on the board who have anything to say about it?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
How old is your shiver? When they get a lot of hours on them, simply replacing the orings doesn't work. Dirt gets into the oring and carves a little gouge in the top cap where the oring is supposed to seal. Stock orings don't cut it any more. You need to find some rings that are just a tiny bit bigger and cram them in there.
Good luck

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I tried a search, but didn't find exactly what I needed. There were a couple about some metal-on-metal topping out noises as a result of the O-rings, but none that involved leaking out of the top of the fork. It is an '03 by the way. If I need larger ones, does anyone have the dimensions for the stock ones or the ones I would need??

Thanks for the help!

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
I had the same problem with my 04, well sort of. Mine leaked like a bad monkey after I had the rebound rod replaced, so I had a different mechanic tear it down and we found that it was missing an o-ring inside the cartridge. The oil leaked less, but once I swapped the upper ones to a slightly larger OD it fixed the problem. You should be able to take the old one to a hardware store and look through the bins and find one that's just slightly bigger.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Midget said:
You should be able to take the old one to a hardware store and look through the bins and find one that's just slightly bigger.
If you can't find one that way, look in your local yellow pages for an industrial supply house. They'll be able to hook you up.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
It would be the preload adjusters I guess. It's coming from the space between the preload adjusters and the top cap, as opposed to the space between the top cap and the upper.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
bomberboy11 said:
It would be the preload adjusters I guess. It's coming from the space between the preload adjusters and the top cap, as opposed to the space between the top cap and the upper.
Same happens to mine... New O-Rings slowed it down.

Sep 10, 2001
bomberboy11 said:
There are 2 o-rings to replace.. The first on is easily seen on the threaded stud on the to of the cartridge. The other one is on the rebound adjuster rod. You need to remove the stud on the top of the cartridge to get to it. Replace both of those and it should be good..

Brian

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Hey Brian and others,

My '04 Shiver bushings are getting really bad. Do you know the typical turn around time and cost for a factory service at the SoCal location? I would prefer to rebuild it myself but parts don't seem that easy to find.

I wanted to use the Shiver in Fontana next week but it sucks to turn left every time I grab front brake:angry:

Anyone have a recommendation on who might have bushings this week in San Diego?

Thanks, Chris

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Duzitall said:
Hey Brian and others,

My '04 Shiver bushings are getting really bad. Do you know the typical turn around time and cost for a factory service at the SoCal location? I would prefer to rebuild it myself but parts don't seem that easy to find.

I wanted to use the Shiver in Fontana next week but it sucks to turn left every time I grab front brake:angry:

Anyone have a recommendation on who might have bushings this week in San Diego?

Thanks, Chris
the 888 upper bushing and seal kit is compatible with the Shiver

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Thank you zedro. I knew the seals are the same but I was/am uncertain about the bushings because BTI shows different listings and part numbers for the separate 888 bushings vs the Shiver complete kits. I would expect all the 35mm bushings to be the same. I'll continue the search for either bushing kit locally.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Brian Peterson said:
There are 2 o-rings to replace.. The first on is easily seen on the threaded stud on the to of the cartridge. The other one is on the rebound adjuster rod. You need to remove the stud on the top of the cartridge to get to it. Replace both of those and it should be good..

Brian
Any chance you know the sizes and if I would have to get them straight from Marzocchi?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Just wanted to update this thread:

I had the same problem with oil coming out of the top of my Shiver......for a long while it was just some oil dampness that collected around the top cap......recently it got so bad, oil would spurt on to my frame.

I measured for the O_rings and was ready to order them from mcMaster.com but first i tried wrapping plumbers tap around the threads of the top cap............this has been working great for the last 2 weeks. Not a drop of oil has surfaced.....

say 10

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
NH
Cant Climb said:
Just wanted to update this thread:

I had the same problem with oil coming out of the top of my Shiver......for a long while it was just some oil dampness that collected around the top cap......recently it got so bad, oil would spurt on to my frame.

I measured for the O_rings and was ready to order them from mcMaster.com but first i tried wrapping plumbers tap around the threads of the top cap............this has been working great for the last 2 weeks. Not a drop of oil has surfaced.....
thanks for the update, my 02 had that issue end of last season (heavy weeping) and now I'm trying to get just one more season out of it. To the hardware store I go.....

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Cant Climb said:
yeah you could jam just about anything in there, but an o-ring is a little more permanent. I would think the hardware store would have one close enough, hopefully thicker too.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
You may have luck finding a local engineering/fabrication workshop and asking them to help you. I know we (toolmakers) have a giant set of drawers full of various O-ring sizes. It's an absolute bitch to do restocking of, but is incredibly handy for things like this... I've hunted through our stocks for all sorts of sizes when working on forks and have always come up with a winner. Jumping between different standards can give you a slightly thicker o-ring with compatible diameter, perfect for this job. See how you go with a local firm, payment in beer is almost guaranteed to give you good results. If you're doing a full rebuild, take the stanchion in and get an o-ring that slips over it lightly, they make for a very clean look instead of running a ziptie as a travel indicator.