Quantcast

Shiver Tech

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Don't Fall Down...

Sorry, just being a smart a$$, nothing I have ever seen, just make sure the stantions are clean before you tighten everything down, after that, be glad they twisted after a fall and didn't break!

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Yours twists? Mine never has.. Never touched the bolts since I got it. Maybe they were to tight.

Although it may not be the niceest looking solution, I might try to rough up where the crowns connect so it wont be easy to slide around in there.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
you mean besides welding everything together?

i guess you could try sleeve retaining compounds, but really i prefer to just twist them back with my legs after it happens (looseing everything is not necessary)

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
zedro said:
you mean besides welding everything together?

i guess you could try sleeve retaining compounds, but really i prefer to just twist them back with my legs after it happens (looseing everything is not necessary)

So you just grab the wheel with your knees and twist the fork back?? I think loosening and then tightening wouldnt be a bad idea....

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Mattoid said:
So you just grab the wheel with your knees and twist the fork back?? I think loosening and then tightening wouldnt be a bad idea....
didnt say its a bad idea, just not entirely necessary for a quick trailside fix (especially if it happens alot, so you dont nedlessly wear the bolt heads). Would be a good idea at the end of the day tho.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Every once in a while its not a bad idea to loosen the crowns up (including the steerer sinch bolt) and re-align everything- even if it dosnt look twisted. This will releive the strain and probably lengthing the crown's life span. I got my shiver used and it came with stretched crowns (I can easily sinch down the crown bolts and tighten them till the cown bottoms itself out. Now I have some thin copper shims in between the crowns and the uppers/steerer).

To answer your question, I dont think there is. Its better to just loosen and then tighten everything after a long weekend of riding.

-J

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Yah it twists every time i crash hard, I don't want to tighten it too much because I've seen them snap when they didn't have the proper torque, it's not that big of a deal but kind of a pain on the trails

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
mine doesn't twist...

then again, I don't crash much.

Perhaps the stem is twisting more than the fork is really twisting, and that's what you are seeing?

B

bigkonarider

Has anyone ever broke a Shiver ?
Like a major breakage in the legs or something ?
I just got a 01 SHIVER & this thread doesn't give me super-confidence in it.
Maybe i should get back my 02 Monster-T ?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i got a shiver, i dont get by what u mean by twisting? By twisting do u mean the upper tubes turn inside, or by the fork being really flexy?

oh u mean the stem twisting on the fork? Mine twistes all the time.... but i dont have the mount on crown stem...

BTW, do ur shiver bolts every seem to stip very easily, i want ot buy some new bolts for them but dont know what pitch to get, any one know wich degree pitch the bolts are?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Pull it apart and clean it well. Use very little grease on the bolts. On mine, it seems that if I use too much grease, it leaches in between the crowns and legs. Clean = minimal slippage. A loose hub also seems to help the fork twist more.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
You guys that don't have your forks twist need to learn how to crash harder!
Really though there is no fix. I don't recomend this but on my Risky Chump i used to ride i drilled a hole through the upper crown and into the sterrer and threaded the steerer and ran a bolt into it. :eek: It actually worked! The Chump had a pocket in the crown on the front and had a wicked thick steerer.It mostly fixed the twisting but not the flex.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
bigkonarider said:
probably as many Monsters as Shivers been broken. The upper legs on the Shiver are slightly bigger than the Monsters BTW, so i wouldnt worry.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i still dont get what u guys are describing as twist. I understand flex, it seems to do it allot..

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
yes,it's the legs twisting in the crowns,and the axle twisting in the dropouts as well.if you aren't having a problem then your stoked!
Man i've had 4 inverted forks,all flexed some and most twisted.Mt old UD 150would twist constantly,the chump would do it if i landed sideways off a drop-given i was going big back then.And any crash of course.The Chump got fixed when i got the big daddy kit.3 pinch bolts and deep knurling on the uppers,as well as thick uppers so i could fully tighten them down.but it was up to 11 lbs.Then i got the proto avy and between the 37mm lowers and nice tolerances on the crowns it never wtisted but i only had it for a short time since i got the Foes hookdown and had to ride the F1 XL.That thing was actually pretty stiff due to the 30mm axle.it only had 32mm legs and weight like 6.5lbs! But the legs bent and it never felt very plush.
for MTB i could never go inverted again,although i must say that the Shiver is plush,reliable and strong so i see why people like them,certainly not a bad fork,just flexy since the upper legs are thin.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i dont see how the uppers can move in their crowns, as they arent atached to the lowers by twist motions, AKA< u can trun the lowers around when the axle is out. :confused:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
plus like ChrisRobin once pointed out, in a bad crash where an invert may simply twist out of alignment, a right-side up fork my alternatively tweek the lower's arch ruining them. Old Zokies with the bolt-on arch would either shift out of alignment (thanks to oversized bolt holes) or bend (thanks to bad design) in a bad crash; the upside being only the arch would need replacing in most cases.

I prefer the "reset-and-forget", rather than starting a thread on how to un-tweek my Boxxer lowers... :evil:

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
mine has twisted twice now, only when i crash really really hard. its really weird when it happens, if you steer straight the wheel is out of alignment looking staight down the fork, but all you have to do it loosen all the bolts, and twist back and forth with the wheel between your legs until its straight again, not a big problem but kind of a pain.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
mack said:
i dont see how the uppers can move in their crowns, as they arent atached to the lowers by twist motions, AKA< u can trun the lowers around when the axle is out. :confused:
the lower and upper tubes are connected together; if they deflect too much the lower crown will twist out of alignment from the upper crown

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
do you have an itegrated stem, I've found that with a normal stem, the stem will actually twist. This is good in a way, not putting excess stress onto the fork itself, or kill the shiver :nopity: and get an AVY

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
BikeFan84 said:
do you have an itegrated stem, I've found that with a normal stem, the stem will actually twist. This is good in a way, not putting excess stress onto the fork itself, or kill the shiver :nopity: and get an AVY
Oh yeah and fork up a minimum of 1495 for the DHF 7... wait thats not that bad

wooley_89

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
bigkonarider said:

01 KONA stab primo, snapped shiver staunchion off by drop out, snapped the dampening road as well. pissed oil all over the street.

glad it wasnt on a trail.

and all that was done to snap it was apply the front brake,lol. it had a good life, and a month before this, the right leg internals were replaced, for AU$350, down from AU$500.

they wanted AU$850 to fix them this time, so there hung roudly on the wall, lol.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was riding in san luis obispo,CA with my friend a few weeks ago. I don't know if he crashed but his uppers on his shiver were mis aligned (different heights). We went to San luis motorsports down the street and they straightend it out.

Is this twisting?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
mack said:
i dont see how the uppers can move in their crowns
Take a shiver.. remove the front wheel, loosen all the crown bolts off a bit, then stand in front of the bike. Grab one leg, pull it forward, push the other leg back. You'll see it all twist as the crowns rotate.
When everything's done up, even with the front wheel in, it's possible for this to happen on the trail. It's a bit of a nuisance to have to align everything after a hard crash, but I'd rather some flex and twist over crack and snap.

BigDawd

Chimp
Aug 22, 2005
CT
BikeFan84 said:
Had an Avy, happens there too. :thumb:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
leprechaun said:
I don't recomend this but on my Risky Chump i used to ride i drilled a hole through the upper crown and into the sterrer and threaded the steerer and ran a bolt into it. :eek: It actually worked!
That's a pretty good idea!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Inverts are going to twist more and go through bushings faster than roght-side-up forks b/c they have only 2 "bridges" between the legs onstead of three. Also, on a regular fork, the lowers are 1-piece. Everything on an invert (at least the most popular ones) is bolt-together. I love my Shiver but will be replacing it with an 888 next year. It would have been nice of the Shiver legs were keyed like a Lefty leg.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
zedro said:
exept you better make sure your headset is properly adjusted, and never ever change the spacing.
Or make the holes oval's :D Now we're talking ghetto! But it does sound like a good idea. I found that if/when my legs twist I need to clean them with alcohol or degreaser. My theory is that grease from the pinch bolts gets between the leg and the crown. If I do not clean it it'll keep twisting. Its creepy to loosen the bolts and hear the fork unload.

But the biggest culprit for twisted legs (at least in my experience) is a loose front hub.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Surely a weak bearing retaining compound would be a better idea than drilling and tapping into your fork and crowns.