Quantcast

shiver tuning tips

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just picked up and installed an '01 Shiver. It's old but in great condition and works pretty darn well. Just not sure if I'm running the right springs. It's got the stock springs in it and I'm running 10wt oil to get the damping close to what I'm used to. I weigh 80kgs (or 175lbs in US-speak). What springs do others run? I'm considering getting one softer spring.

Jmight..

Chimp
Jun 6, 2005
NC
do search there isn't much you can do to tune it except oil or getting a heavy or in your case a light spring in one leg.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Holy Crap!

I'm 180, I'm running two lights springs and want to run one stock/heavy and one light. I'll swap you one light (blue) spring for one of your stockers. PM me.

Two blue springs are 'ok', a little bit soft. I think one stock spring would make it perfect. LET ME KNOW!!!

-Adam

tmoney

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
I am running the stock springs, with 7.5 wt oil at 80mm from the top with the springs out and fork and cartriges fully compressed. This gives a nice feel over the small stuff with plenty of bottoming resistance. BTW, i weigh 170 lbs without gear.

-tmoney

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
skyst3alth said:
Holy Crap!

I'm 180, I'm running two lights springs and want to run one stock/heavy and one light. I'll swap you one light (blue) spring for one of your stockers. PM me.

Two blue springs are 'ok', a little bit soft. I think one stock spring would make it perfect. LET ME KNOW!!!

-Adam
Sorry bud. I live in Oz so shipping would cost as much as a new spring for me

tmoney said:
I am running the stock springs, with 7.5 wt oil at 80mm from the top with the springs out and fork and cartriges fully compressed. This gives a nice feel over the small stuff with plenty of bottoming resistance. BTW, i weigh 170 lbs without gear.

-tmoney
Doh! You know, thinking about it, I can't remember if I compressed the cartridges when I measured the oil height.

Still not getting a full third of sag even with zero preload. I might just fork out for the soft spring and give it a try.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jmight.. said:
do search there isn't much you can do to tune it except oil or getting a heavy or in your case a light spring in one leg.
Yeah, that's always the problem with Marzocchi, eh? The limited range of tuning options.

I mean, other than altering spring weight on either of 2 springs in each of 2 legs, oil height, or oil viscosity, (or even the air assist pressure on some models/mods) what can you do?

MD

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Does anyone know if there was a change in damping system or cartridge design between the '01 model Shiver and the later years? My fork seems to rebound fairly fast even with the damping all the way slow, compared to my friends' later model Shivers which get very slow with the dmaping all the way in. I was thinking maybe one of the cartridges had stopped working in mine but there no discernible difference between the two legs and both affect the damping slightly. I'm running 10wt. oil instead of 7.5wt. and the fork still works quite quickly.

The rebound isn't so fast as to be unrideable, it just seems strange that an 80kg rider would need to run the rebound all the way at the end of the range.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
If it says motocross technology then youve got the HSCV cartridges. (I think)

If your still rebounding to fast try going to a heavier oil.

I run three clicks in, 2 stock springs and 7.5 maixma oil. I find that the shivver is one of the easiest fork to work on and tune. Just make sure your dropouts dont loosen up like mine did today, or drop the fork lowers when your working on it by accident. :thumb:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
mack said:
If it says motocross technology then youve got the HSCV cartridges. (I think)

If your still rebounding to fast try going to a heavier oil.

I run three clicks in, 2 stock springs and 7.5 maixma oil. I find that the shivver is one of the easiest fork to work on and tune. Just make sure your dropouts dont loosen up like mine did today, or drop the fork lowers when your working on it by accident. :thumb:
motocross tech just refers to the fact that its inverted. and the only difference between 01 and all other shivers is the bleed screw on the top cap

I have an '01 Shiver and, at least with mine, low speed rebound is a bit fast even adjusted to full slow. However, at higher speeds the damping seems to kick in quick nicely. In fact, trying to slow the low speed rebound too much causes the high speed to become overly sluggish, and as a result the fork packs up over long sections of high speed hits.

I'm 170-ish in gear and run stock springs (tried one stock and one heavy, and it was too stiff), 7.5wt Maxima oil. Rebound is set about middle of the range, perhaps a turn or so less.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
How about this.... I have an 04 (I know it a later year but help!) with the red (heavy duty) springs and I weigh 180. And yesterday, I hit an 8 ft. drop twice with a rough tranny and both times when I landed I bottomed the $hit out of my forks followed by a loud clank! The forks feel great as they are while riding and hitting anything under 4 ft. but when I drop, they bottom..... so should some 10 wt. oil help out with this? What are my other options? Is there something wrong with my fork?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
wood-dog said:
How about this.... I have an 04 (I know it a later year but help!) with the red (heavy duty) springs and I weigh 180. And yesterday, I hit an 8 ft. drop twice with a rough tranny and both times when I landed I bottomed the $hit out of my forks followed by a loud clank! The forks feel great as they are while riding and hitting anything under 4 ft. but when I drop, they bottom..... so should some 10 wt. oil help out with this? What are my other options? Is there something wrong with my fork?
Adjust your oil level. There's nothing wrong with your fork or the weight of oil you are using.