Quantcast

Shock hardware

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Have you guys ever heard of a compatibility issue using the 5 piece Fox hardware on a Rock Shox shock?

My Nomad 3 eats DU bushings, and I was advised to use the 5-piece flanged bushing over a regular DU. The claim being that they last longer and easier to replace. All sounds good.

The dude at the shop I just spoke to said that putting the Fox kit into my Monarch plus wouldn't work. I happen to KNOW that it works, because a Fox kit is currently installed on the front eyelet of my shock.

Has anyone had an issue with this crossover of brands??

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I've done the opposite, and used Rock shox hardware on a fox shock in a pinch with no problems.

I had a nomad 3, and my wife has been riding one for 5 or so years. Never had a problem with shock hardware on either bike. I wonder if you have a misalignment? Could you get a less wide set of shock hardware, and use shims to cheat the shock one way or the other?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My RS works good enough with my Fox, it's not exactly the same, but close enough I can get a tight fit. My manitou, which supposedly works with fox...does not, in any way, work. It can only use the manitou DU bushings. Some have said they can use the Fox stuff in it, but on mine it ends up loose, enough to knock when installed. I run the fox hardware on my Monarch+ for commonality. Works fine.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Can confirm that Fox hardware works on DVO just fine too. The DVO eyelets seem to be like half a hair big (Fox hardware slides into them a bit easier than into a Fox shock), so might not work in reverse though. Or that could just be that DVO has looser tolerances.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Welp, the advice to use the fox hardware came from one of bigger Santa Cruz dealers around, so i'm guessing my bike will not explode.

I don't think I have any alignment issue, but I'm guilty of sanding a Commencal pin down to the correct (pretty close, at least) length. That was probably not IDEAL. That's the part I'm replacing, actually. So, it will be a fox hardware set on a Monarch Plus at the back eyelet on a Nomad 3. We shall see how long it lasts...

I'm having a bitch of a time with my headset these days too. A little too loose, a little too tight... Then it creaks. I've cleaned and greased it... so annoying. And it's a fancy Cane Creek 110. I'm at a bit of a loss...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm having a bitch of a time with my headset these days too. A little too loose, a little too tight... Then it creaks. I've cleaned and greased it... so annoying. And it's a fancy Cane Creek 110. I'm at a bit of a loss...
does you OneUp stem use that fancy preloader? because star nuts AREN'T EndUrO ANYMORE???

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
New shock hardware seems to have done the trick for the rearward creak.

I think I’ll need to test ride to check for the headset... I’m a bit worried I have messed up one of my fancy headset cups. Partially due to much faffing with that stupid oneup stem. Perhaps one too many runs with a loose headset...