Quantcast

Shock Heat

splat

Nam I am
Has any one else noticed this ?

The other day I was riding with SloMoJo and he was say how his rear shock was getting warm. that if his leg came in contact with it he noticed it was warm.

Last night I was doing a group ride and at one point we came to a stop and My leg was resting against my rear shock , and I too noticed it was warm.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's what a shock does.. It converts the energy absorbed in a bump into heat.

All shocks heat up :)

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Skookum said:
if you think that's warm try slappin your toungue on your brake rotor after a gnarly steep DH run. :p
I've accidently touched my leg to one of my rotors after a run in CO. I'll never do that again touching the rotors after a run that is I'm up for a good DH though.

J

JRB

I'm gonna go with the logical friction thought. Shock moves - it creates friction. Brakes stop - they create friction.

splat

Nam I am
Oh , I figured they would put off heat , But I was surprised by that Much. rotors on the other hand ........ then how come when it was 0 degrees out , The seals in my shock froze!

and no I never took Pyshics in High school .. and Those 5 semsters of it I took in college obviously mean nothing :)

and of course After I post this ,SloMoJo tells me he blew out his rear shock last night.

splat said:
...then how come when it was 0 degrees out , The seals in my shock froze!...
Probably because you took a hard hit or two before the damping and other friction pumped in enough heat to lower the viscosity of the oil.

You also have a heat transfer balance between how much heat your riding's generating in the shock and how much heat the shock's radiating.

Might be a good idea to store the bike in a heated space and insulate the shock in the winter if blowout remains a problem.

J

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i just think it's neato on some of my trail rides, after rippin downhill with much disdain riding through a creek and listening to the water burn of my hot rotors. pishhhhhhhhhhh. There are alot of trails i have to take breaks on just to let the brakes cool down because they get way too hot, it's great to spit on em and watch your spittle cook. Ahhhh the finer things in riding, ok, this broken leg thing sucks.......

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
johnbryanpeters said:
Your broken leg was a direct message from the gods to the effect that pain hurts. Now shaddup. :D
I'm well past the pain stage, i'm entering the whiny bored bitch stage, couldn't you tell?