Quantcast

Shock pumps, what's the best?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Ok, so I'm pumping up my 5th element coil shock on my M1 and for whatever reason say I pump it up to 200psi. I take it off, hook it back up, and I got somewhere around 165-175 (sorta inbetween). So I know that the guage is off a little bit. And that the hose fills up with 25psi or so.

I tried the same on my Minute 1:00 fork and say I pump it to 100psi, I re-hook it up and it's off by 15-25psi.

So........just wondering what rear shock pump works the best and is accurate? I have a supergo branded one right now which has done fine for 2 years now but I'm just curious. Do all shock pumps loose air or the guages aren't correct?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The air volume of a shock/fork is so little that when you hook the pump up the volume of air that is needed to fill the pump to get a reading decreases the pressure in the shock/fork.

I know this isn't your shock, but...
Swinger manual -- page 3 under the section Spring Adjustment - Air Shocks

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
i dont know mine was being funny like that and it was my shock dont know i just sent it in and they rebuilt it and sent it back and it worked I thought it was the shock pump too but it wasent

mtbingdude

Chimp
Jan 17, 2005
i saw an adapter for shock pumps somewhere that suposably stops the short burst of leak when you detach the pump. sorry i dont rember where i saw this but i though it was a neat idea. i would try doing a google search for such an adapter.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Listen to Wumpus folks.

When you detach a shock pump the hiss you hear is air leaving the pump. The schrader valve in the shock should close before the seal is broken. The pressure you set it at is maintained inside the shock.

When you reattach it the volume of air it takes to pressurize the pump is sufficient to reduce the pressure reading depending on the size of the shock chamber. The air chamber on a 5th is very small and it doesn't take much to reduce it 40psi or so.

This is completely normal!!

To protect the o-ring on the pump only tighten a bit past where the gauge takes a reading and don't leave your fork adapter (like Marzocchi's) screwed into the pump.

Mike