Quantcast

Shock rebuild options

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a Monarch Plus on my BMC, it's knocking on direction change and probably needs a rebuild. I really like the shock though I wouldn't mind a few small adjustments (more support on open, less on pedal/lockout). I usually leave it on the middle setting even when the trail goes down and only open it up for extended fast downhills.

Anyways, wondering what my options are for a decent rebuild and tuning service. Looks like avalanche and Vorsprung both offer services that are about the same price. Avalanche is closer but I feel like I always hear about how Craig doesn't listen to his customers. Had a good experience with steve M but he's pretty far away.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How old is the shock? You might be better off just replacing it, if you're looking for more knobs and adjustment (vs the $$ needed for rebuild and tuning).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How old is the shock? You might be better off just replacing it, if you're looking for more knobs and adjustment (vs the $$ needed for rebuild and tuning).
It's old, but it doesn't lack anything I need. I think it was last rebuilt by @StiHacka a few years ago, but I don't ride it much.

Honestly, I'd rather have a well tuned shock with no actual dials and rather a floppy lever than a huge range of adjustment that I can tweak into space and have a hard time coming back from. I learned how much I didn't like that with my float X2. The monarch is simple but it works, and the leverage rate plays well with it.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have had good experience with both Steve and Craig.
Just an FYI, word is that Craig's lead time now is about 12 weeks. Boy be busy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have had good experience with both Steve and Craig.
Just an FYI, word is that Craig's lead time now is about 12 weeks. Boy be busy.
Toronto is ripe for a shock tuning/rebuild business.

I don't know of a single shop that will do the work, or that I'd trust, with simply rebuilding suspension (deeper than basic lower/aircan service). Plus tuning...

I mean there is money here, the population is massive and there are a ton of bikers and bike shops.

Sending away is easy enough, usually, but having walkup service would be great.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Consider both Avalanche and Vorsprung for rebuild and tuning. While Avalanche is closer, some customers mention communication issues with Craig. Vorsprung is equally priced and reputable. Steve M is also a good option, but he's farther away. Evaluate based on proximity and reputation.

Is this conversation helpful so far?
Check out my chubbie. Chubbie is a euphamism for an erect penis which the the avalanche suspension genius named craig thought would sell massive product. And by massive product I mean a large penis. Which may also be a euphamism for a big throbbing boner. Chubbies are not available through inferior steve. My eyes are a boner which is often confused with a woodie, another dick joke craig the suspension genius thought would make money. Lots and lots of money. Boner bike is often but not always good bike because also dick dick. What is love?

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Check out my chubbie. Chubbie is a euphamism for an erect penis which the the avalanche suspension genius named craig thought would sell massive product. And by massive product I mean a large penis. Which may also be a euphamism for a big throbbing boner. Chubbies are not available through inferior steve. My eyes are a boner which is often confused with a woodie, another dick joke craig the suspension genius thought would make money. Lots and lots of money. Boner bike is often but not always good bike because also dick dick. What is love?

Wait to you hear what Cove named their bikes. :panic: :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeesh. $300+ to get a rebuild/tractivve tune or 12 weeks from Craig sneekypeekins. Maybe I should just snag a DPX2 or CCDB IL?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Okay, so looping back around.

Black friday is in full swing and I'd love to grab a shock to finish out my trail bike rebuild. I'm not sure where to go though. I had the monarch originally and it worked OK- I liked the flippy lever. Before that, a FOX X2 which I hated, always felt like it was doing the wrong thing. I am currently borrowing a DHX2 which is working well, but I need a firmer spring and it weighs a ton.

Options are:
CCDB IL Coil, $250 plus a coil
CCDB IL Air: $350
Avy tune on the monarch: $300
2024 Float X2: $450
Suntour Triar 3CR: 350 (least interested in this one)

All of these will get me most of what I need. I am loving the coil on the bike right now, but it does weigh a lot, and the suspension curve is Sunday-like with end-stroke regression, so air is a better fit. I keep hearing bad things about the CCDB, but I imagine those issues have got to be mostly sorted at this point...right? I'm not sure I want another X2, even if it is improved and brand new.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Okay, so looping back around.

Black friday is in full swing and I'd love to grab a shock to finish out my trail bike rebuild. I'm not sure where to go though. I had the monarch originally and it worked OK- I liked the flippy lever. Before that, a FOX X2 which I hated, always felt like it was doing the wrong thing. I am currently borrowing a DHX2 which is working well, but I need a firmer spring and it weighs a ton.

Options are:
CCDB IL Coil, $250 plus a coil
CCDB IL Air: $350
Avy tune on the monarch: $300
2024 Float X2: $450
Suntour Triar 3CR: 350 (least interested in this one)

All of these will get me most of what I need. I am loving the coil on the bike right now, but it does weigh a lot, and the suspension curve is Sunday-like with end-stroke regression, so air is a better fit. I keep hearing bad things about the CCDB, but I imagine those issues have got to be mostly sorted at this point...right? I'm not sure I want another X2, even if it is improved and brand new.
I kinda like the CCDB IL stuff because I own both an Air and Coil version. The coil is definitely nice and plush, and CC does the progressive Valt spring... if you can stand the white color.
The Air's airspring is a bit... mwah. But I believe the newest version is improved.
When the damper gets a good tune, the Monarch is actually very capable, and for rocky downhills the airspring is halfway between an X2 and the CCDB-IL. But $300 is a lot of money for an old shock...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I kinda like the CCDB IL stuff because I own both an Air and Coil version. The coil is definitely nice and plush, and CC does the progressive Valt spring... if you can stand the white color.
The Air's airspring is a bit... mwah. But I believe the newest version is improved.
When the damper gets a good tune, the Monarch is actually very capable, and for rocky downhills the airspring is halfway between an X2 and the CCDB-IL. But $300 is a lot of money for an old shock...
Thanks, this is helpful. I can't get the newer air spring as they don't make non-metric 200mm shocks. May be giving me the push toward CCDB Coil that I need. Plenty of room to play with a progressive VALT or an SLS or ti spring to save weight. Agree about the monarch- it was a good shock but it's got a nick in the stanchion, wear on the stanchion, and it's several years old. Entirely possible that it's rebuilt and fails simply due to age some time in the future.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What about a Float X?

I recently picked one up super cheap as a spare. Decent shock but the stock aftermarket tune is probably great for light trail duty but when you start leaving the ground it just blows through the travel. Really could use a lot more HSC. Currently looking how to gett moar shimz in there.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
I recently picked one up super cheap as a spare. Decent shock but the stock aftermarket tune is probably great for light trail duty but when you start leaving the ground it just blows through the travel. Really could use a lot more HSC. Currently looking how to gett moar shimz in there.
I recently modified mine, but most effort was in the rebound stack. I also went for a heavier suspension fluid.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have reshimmed fork cartridges before but never touched a shock. Is this something a competent hack can do?
It really depends. Depends on the shock your tools and your patience. Some stuff like the Super Deluxe is really intended to be serviced and bled at home. It has two ports which allows you to properly bleed it and get all the air out. Other stuff really intends for an (expensive) vacuum bleeder with one port that is intended to "suck out" all the gas bubbles. Then there's pressurizing, most require an adapter of some sort. Fox is the worst with their asinine single-use needle system. You might need up to 600psi for that reservoir too, depending on the shock. Torque values are often pretty light at the damping piston. You also gotta be real careful not to mess up the order of anything and there can be a lot of extremely small parts. Most are a bit better now, but the freaking Fox RC4 was an insane watch inside, way too many small parts. You need good diagrams to follow for putting that stuff back and making sure you follow the correct order.

It's not impossible, but it's often above the average home mechanic. I don't like doing it and my success rate is probably around 50%-really just depending on the shock and how well/easy it is to service and work on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just read through the service manual to get an idea of the complexity.
I'm tempted to do this as I now have the time. Is it possible to tune the compression stack for more support in open and less in "trail"? That's what I'd really love from this shock but it has always felt too soft in open and a little too unresponsive in trail.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
I'm tempted to do this as I now have the time. Is it possible to tune the compression stack for more support in open and less in "trail"? That's what I'd really love from this shock but it has always felt too soft in open and a little too unresponsive in trail.
I have some ideas and tips to share. I will send you a message tomorrow when the bourbon has worn off...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have some ideas and tips to share. I will send you a message tomorrow when the bourbon has worn off...
Sometimes it's more fun when the bourbon is working

but let me know. Dirtlabs is having discounted rebuilds, but this isn't out of my wheelhouse aside from shaft clamps and pressure adapters I would need to buy. I will likely buy maxima 3wt oil to rebuild my roco as well