Quantcast

Shoe dryer experience?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
After years of getting caught in the surprise rainstorm and dealing with soggy shoes the next day, I'm shopping for a dryer.

The DryGuy company makes a lot of options, one being this portable model:

Peet also seems like they make a lot of different models. This one looks good for shoes and gloves:

Any advice? Traditional heat vs. convection, portability? multi dryer, ect?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i use the large glowing orb in the sky.....it's worked since forever...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
whats wrong with using the regular drier with the rack/attachment for shoes?
Vs. the one that's portable? Got caught in some bad weather one year in Whistler. I had wet shoes the whole week I was there. Portable sounds easier to pack than the bottom one.

i use the large glowing orb in the sky.....it's worked since forever...
Not sure where you're from, but that orb hides from Oregon a lot...

Why not just get an extra pair of shoes?
Cause I don't want 3 pairs for when I ride 3 days in a row...

i have one similar to this and its terrible. it takes less time stuffing newspapers into my shoes to dry them then it does with "dryer" i have.
Good to know. ;)

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I have one that looks close to this one:

It's a life saver during ski season. I ski 5-7 days a week so don't time to let the boot liners dry out on their own. Well worth the investment!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have the dry guy transporter. When my shoes are absolutely drenched, I squeeze em out really good, then put this on overnight and they are much better by morning. 5.10s have so much freakin padding that they'll take a while, but this definitely makes them much better. I give the dryer 8/10. Slower than advertised, but portable, fairly quiet and does a decent job if you have overnight, which I usually do.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
What kind of shoes do you have that take several days to dry? If they insoles are removable taking them out helps a lot too. Letting them hang makes a big difference too so they get air. New papers as mentioned

When in Whistler I always get a room with a dryer. Then hang the shoes in the dryer door so they don't spin:

or this if there are no laces

Also a normal desk fan makes a huge difference too. And if you place the shoes in front of the fan it will dry out any mtb shoe in a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What kind of shoes do you have that take several days to dry?
Depends on the climate. Here in anchorage **** takes forever to dry. If you get your shoes soaked, you can set them outside for days and they still won't dry sometimes. When the snow melts (there's none now, it's raining) it doesn't go anywhere, it just pools up as water. The pressure here is too high for stuff to evaporate readily and the humidity is way up there.

One thing I do that helps tremendously is to use some foot-powder. First of all it keeps your shoes from becoming rank, but it helps them dry much faster. I even sprinkle a little in a glove or something else, it makes it possible to leave stuff outside and have it dry in a reasonable amount of time.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I have the Dry Guy non-portable:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ski+boot+dryer&id=14F8E7EC9F0DB66DA334557B174F8537A5AC88C6&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=14F8E7EC9F0DB66DA334557B174F8537A5AC88C6&selectedIndex=0

We ski back to back days on the weekends and it is an essential item for boots and gloves. It has a timer and can blow heated or room temp air. I'm quite satisfied with it. The only negative is the air only blows out of the top 1/4 of the tree stand which would make you believe that it will only dry the toe box area but that hasn't normally been an issue unless the shoe is completely soaked, in which case you may have to run a second cycle or flip the shoe over.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Putting my 5.10's in the dryer ruined them, the soles needed to be glued back on.

But, putting them in the oven on the lowest heat setting with the door open worked well and didn't peel the soles off.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Good point kickstand. Shoe dryers are slower, but the air is usually barely warm, so it won't toast your shoes.