Quantcast

Should E.13 offer a 34-T Guide Ring?

Would you buy a 34-T E.13 Guide Ring?

• Total voters

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I want to run a single ring up front on my ~34-pound trail bike and although my legs are pretty strong, I think a 36-T would be a little tough to muscle around on longer rides. A 34-T on the other hand would make it just about perfect (1:1 climbing ratio).

It seems that E.13 only makes their Guide Ring in 36-T and up so I thought I'd post a poll to see how much interest there might or might not be for such a product.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have 36t on both my DH and DJ rigs.......sometimes I wish for the 34t, and when I ran dual chainrings on my freeride bike I wanted that 22/34t or even 36t combo but could never find anything. I'm thinking of running a single ring on a new frame and would love to have that single 34t. It's fine for all but resort riding really.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Uh...I've run a 34T ring on my SRS...or maybe it was a 32...I can't remember.

Are you not supposed to be able to or something?

edit: I'm an asshat...guide ring...I thought you meant GUIDE.

In which case: Who cares? It's just a ring.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Uh...I've run a 34T ring on my SRS...or maybe it was a 32...I can't remember.

Are you not supposed to be able to or something?

edit: I'm an asshat...guide ring...I thought you meant GUIDE.

In which case: Who cares? It's just a ring.

Do you think E.13 would have bothered to ever design the guide ring if they thought it was "just a ring"? The Guide Ring is light and all-around bad ass. I want one.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Forgive my ignorance, but if you wanted one that bad, couldn't you just run a different size rear cassette with the 36t and get the same effect?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The salsa singlespeed rings are very Similar to the G rings ( a tiny bit heavier and a tiny bit more step though), are the same price and are available down to 34 in 104.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The salsa singlespeed rings are very Similar to the G rings ( a tiny bit heavier and a tiny bit more step though), are the same price and are available down to 34 in 104.
I appreciate it and I did know that but I think the E.13 rings are just so darn nice. I will run a Salsa if I have to. :biggrin:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I'm sure the people at E-13 already have way too many different Sku's to deal with, and the cost of tooling up to make some rings that likely won't sell anywhere near as well as the other rings they offer seems like more pain that it would be worth to me.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'm sure the people at E-13 already have way too many different Sku's to deal with, and the cost of tooling up to make some rings that likely won't sell anywhere near as well as the other rings they offer seems like more pain that it would be worth to me.
Highly likely. However that was exactly the point of posting a poll, to gauge interest and maybe help them better decide if indeed it were a waste of time. :)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My bullit came with a 34T as the largest ring. It was really good for climbing. I was really overpedaling on long fast sections, so I got 36T.
It can still climb okay. I want to get an e13 36T ring. If I were running a 34T, I would probably get an e-13 one.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive been running them for 3 years and two bikes and have never had a problem. I run 22/36 and they shift great and are super tough.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
34? I want a 32! Same boat you're in, ~35lb hardtail with no front derailleur that I want to be able to climb out w/o puking up a lung. But it's also my 4x, sk8pk and dj bike. Seems to me there should be a few of these beasts around, more companies should make rings for 'em. And of course, if I had a choice, I'd pick E-13.

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Duncan Riffle had one on his bike at the Snowmass NORBA. I think Sam Hill has run one as well.

I think they are also listed on BTI's website.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My bullit came with a 34T as the largest ring. It was really good for climbing. I was really overpedaling on long fast sections, so I got 36T.
It can still climb okay. I want to get an e13 36T ring. If I were running a 34T, I would probably get an e-13 one.
I'm an idiot. I just realized that I was wrong. It came with a 32T. Then, I put a 34T on it. An e-13 ring would be really nice.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i like Blackspire rings.

to me, a ring is a ring. if it doesn't taco, it's a better ring. if it's black and doesn't taco, it's the best ring ever.

though, i do think it's weird for e13 to offer 32t guide but no 32t ring.

-edit- god damn sumbitch, e13 is now sporting a black 32t ring (according to QBP). praise the lord.

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
e.thirteen does in fact make a 34t chainring as well as a 32t chainring, along withthe 36t-42t rings that have previously been available.
the website has not been changed to reflect the newer ring sizes as well as the ffact that they are now black.
if anyone has questions feel free to contact us at:
support@e13components.com, or call us at the office.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
e.thirteen does in fact make a 34t chainring as well as a 32t chainring, along withthe 36t-42t rings that have previously been available.
the website has not been changed to reflect the newer ring sizes as well as the ffact that they are now black.
if anyone has questions feel free to contact us at:
support@e13components.com, or call us at the office.

That's what I've been waiting to hear. You guys are the poop! :cupidarrow:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Envy VO2 economy flat rings look decent and cheap. Thanks for the link, I'll keep them in mind.
If you need to order Envy rings, you can order them from John Henrys in Vancouver or On Top. I have bought a lot of Envy parts from both places.