Quantcast

Should I get a Bullit?

Should I get a Bullit?

• Total voters

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Meh, they always felt like they never really did anything well to me.

Kinda heavy for climbing, kinda tall bb for shredding buff single track, kinda steep and short in the travel department for fun DH.

It might be able to do a lot of different types of riding, but I never really felt like it did any one in particular well.

This opinion is purely based on the three lift assisted runs I did on a rental bullit while a friend rode my dh bike plus a lap or two around the parking lot.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I voted all 3. Get a Bullit and put one of those head angleifiers in it for maximum awesome.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have a friend that rode one for years and years on XC rides, steep techy shore rides, and the occasional Whistler day. He only just replaced it. He seemed to like it.

Weighed a ton though...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Based only on your choice of bike, and knowing nothing about what you plan to ride, I think the sx trail (even an older one) does the "do it all" job better than a bullit. Kind of a more modern version of the bullit idea.

Can't speak for the bullit, but I know the sx trails I've ridden are extremely fun- and aren't all that bad for climbing accept for the weight.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think there are better options for a do it all bike, which is what I'm guessing you're after. An SX Trail would be one good option, as mentioned earlier. So would a used first gen Intense SS, or even a Transition Bottle Rocket.

Though a better idea of what you want to do with it would help.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Some rough stuff. And by rough I mean my riding style. I've never been a smooth rider so I'm looking for a bike/fork that will pretty much plow over sh1t. I'm too old and lazy to pick lines anymore. :D

Very little climbing.

Needs to be durable and simple to work on. I'm a good mechanic, just too busy/lazy to do a ton of mechanical babysitting. (hence the attraction to single pivot)

I'm 6'4", 215 and I don't care about bike weight. My SS Chameleon weighed almost 35 lbs.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Oh and here's something to brighten your day:

I FVCKING HATE THE MISFITS.

Always have.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Maybe something with a suspension design 2007+? Just food for thought. But then again, you rode the Chameleon with a 5" Bomber for how long? God that thing was hideous. Maybe you are of that small subset of riders that never learned about 'better' as you rode more...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Maybe something with a suspension design 2007+? Just food for thought. But then again, you rode the Chameleon with a 5" Bomber for how long? God that thing was hideous. Maybe you are of that small subset of riders that never learned about 'better' as you rode more...
the latest in hideous from yeti would suit him better?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No, but within the Santa Cruz lineup there are other bikes. Maybe the Nomad or Butcher? Both lighter and stiffer. If he wants a dh ride get a dh.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Maybe something with a suspension design 2007+? Just food for thought.
Sure. Suggestions?

But then again, you rode the Chameleon with a 5" Bomber for how long? God that thing was hideous.
For a long time, yes. And it was a fvcking blast to ride.

Maybe you are of that small subset of riders that never learned about 'better' as you rode more...
Don't walk with your nose so high, yer blockin the light. I just don't give a fvck about lightest/stiffest/bestest/most expensivest. Simple and heavy can be fun too.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't walk with your nose so high, yer blockin the light. I just don't give a fvck about lightest/stiffest/bestest/most expensivest. Simple and heavy can be fun too.
Seriously. And I'm kind of a gear whore.

I think a Bullet would do you fine. I still think a SX Trail would be even better. They're awesome bikes- geo's a bit better than the Bullet's IMO, suspension is definitely nicer, and they're bombproof. Similar amount of travel/ weight/ intended use, just done better. You can find 2-3 years old used for a reasonable price. Look around and see what you can come up with.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Snarky much?

I meant classifieds and whatnot. They're up for sale used routinely.

Nope. Zero snark factor sir.

I really did mean there is a Specialized super store three blocks from here. Literally. Seriously. The local shop is a "Specialized Concept Store", they carry every single bike Specialized makes and they are usually in stock.

I am going to go there tomorrow and look at an SX Trail.

I might look around for a used one but for the most part used bikes around here are a ridiculous waste of time. Especially Craig's List, most of the time it's over-priced garbage.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
Call me crazy but I would pick a bullit over a sx trail. I like the way the bullit rides better, I'm just not big on specialized suspention design I guess.