Quantcast

should i get a ht or fs?

speedy stin

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Orinda
i am an xc racer and i need a new bike but i cant decide whether to get a hardtail or full suspension.... i want a race bike, but i also want something that i can mess around... what should i do?

May 1, 2006
i figure that if you have $XXX to spend on a bike, if you spend it on a full suspension you'll get a good downgrade on drivetrain components. depending on where you live, i think full suspension is very unnecessary, but then again i've been riding fully rigid SS for the past 5 years...so my views on this may be slightly skewed

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
As a general rule, a hardtail is going to be lighter, quicker, and more nimble while a FS is going to be faster and smoother. If your trails are on the smooth side, or if they are tight and twisty I say a hardtail is the hands down winner. If your trails are rough, especially on the fast/downhill sections, or if you do much endurance racing, I think a FS is the better bet.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
why would the FS be faster -maybe smoother but why faster?
IME a good FS bike that's dialed in is faster on rougher trails BECAUSE it's smoother. On climbs they don't bounce as much which keeps a more consistent contact with the trail which helps to eliminate wheel spin. I think it's pretty obvious on rougher downhills.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Like jackson said, depends on the trails you ride. I've ridden both a hardtail and fs bike and currently race on a Jamis XCR Pro and would not go back to a hardtail unless I could keep my fs too.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
As a general rule, a hardtail is going to be lighter, quicker, and more nimble while a FS is going to be faster and smoother. If your trails are on the smooth side, or if they are tight and twisty I say a hardtail is the hands down winner. If your trails are rough, especially on the fast/downhill sections, or if you do much endurance racing, I think a FS is the better bet.
Yep, give us a little more info on the trails you plan to race on. Also, will this be your only f/s? Will it be used solely as a race bike, or do you plan to do some lazy trail riding on it too?

speedy stin

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Orinda
i am an xc racer and i need a new bike but i cant decide whether to get a hardtail or full suspension.... i want a race bike, but i also want something that i can mess around... what should i do?
all the races i would do would not need a fs ecxept a couple.... but i would want to have fun on somewhat rough trails.... or maybe just have a smooth ride..

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
all the races i would do would not need a fs ecxept a couple.... but i would want to have fun on somewhat rough trails.... or maybe just have a smooth ride..
If you want to have fun on rough trails...well, you've answered the question. FS.

remdog

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Durango
rough =fs. fast DH = fs, its easier to make up time when you haul in the DHs then in the climbs. and the more you climber with the heavier FS bike the stronger you get and the faster you go. im way faster on my FS XC then my HT XC

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
If you want to have fun on a bike outside of racing, go with the FS. If you're more worried about you race results, and the courses are HT courses like you said, go HT.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
rough =fs. fast DH = fs, its easier to make up time when you haul in the DHs then in the climbs. and the more you climber with the heavier FS bike the stronger you get and the faster you go. im way faster on my FS XC then my HT XC
I so disagree, races are won on the climbs.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Not always. I know several folks who climb like demons who never place well because they can't descend or carry speed through corners. It all depends on the course and the rider.
Yeah but that whole "riding a heavy bike will make you faster" thing is bunk. Most of the time you will do much better if you fly up the climbs and have decent bike handling skills, than if you granny the climbs and bomb the DH.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ideally you can have both and select one for the course, but if you're stuck with one bike, I'd get an FS, a bit more versatile.

remdog

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Durango
Yeah but that whole "riding a heavy bike will make you faster" thing is bunk. Most of the time you will do much better if you fly up the climbs and have decent bike handling skills, than if you granny the climbs and bomb the DH.
all i am sayin with that is heavyer bike truckin up the hills makes you stronger as you ride and you can get damn fast on a heavy bike

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
All things being equal, I think it comes down to your skill set. If you are much better climbing than you are descending then get a FS - it'll help you descend without slowing you down much (or at all) on the climbs. If you're a good DHer but a lousy climber, go HT... your bike handling skills will more than make up for the lack of suspension, and you'll be quicker on the climbs.

If you're good at both or suck at both, then get the bike that best fits the courses you'll be riding.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
It's like summer and winter, if you have one you will wonder what the other feels like again.

I can only have one ride, started on a hardtail (Hardrock Comp) and have gone to a FS (Trance 3). I do wonder what it would be like on a hardtail again but like someone ellse said I'm not likely to get a hardtail unless I could keep my FS as well.

Trail riding, pretty much xc but mostly for fun (some jumps & drops) I think FS is great.

FS may be a bit heavier but you do save energy by not having to get out of the saddle nowhere near as often. And with the maestro suspension anyway the rear grip when going up a hill is phenomenal where the old hardtail would loose traction all over the place.

I would say it depends on your budget - If you're looking around $1000US or less then HT most definitely, if you have more like $1500 to $2000 then go FS if you so desire. I personally would not spend over 2k Aussie on a Hardtail, but that's just me.

And for strength training you could always get a $100 wallmart bike which weighs in the vicinity of 18kg, go for a ride up your local hill every day, that will get you fit!