Quantcast

Should I get a Hummer?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was thinking I need another vehicle, and I have been thinking about Hummer, something like the H3.

Any suggestions?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Why go with something semi-big like the Hummer, when you could go with something WAY over the top like a Chevy Silverado with a 12" lift and 40's!

Required dresscode:

-Fox zip-up hoodie
-DVS Shoes (complete with black mid-high socks)
-Dickies shorts
-Famous Stars and Straps hat (w/ bill left completely flat for that excellent "flat biller" style)
-Some sort of Black Flys/Spy/Arnette style glasses
-Nautical star tattoos on your elbows

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you plan to go off road, I would highly recommend an H3. Everyone knows the H3 is the superior off road vehicle of todays market.

If you have the coin, I would also recommend looking into a Cayenne Turbo. It dominates the luxury off-road world.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama

Trust me as someone that has spent some time in them. THEY SUCK.

Edit: if you want something that will work in SF and offroad get a Rubicon Jeep.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Why does 'offroad' mean hummer?

I drive gnarly jeep roads at least 3 days a week during the summer and a hummer is aboslutely the last thing I'd want.

What 'offroad' do you plan on driving?
Like to South Lake Tahoe. Hwy 50 can be treacherous.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Ack! Stay away from the jeep commander if you want offroad-ability. They're not so great. What sort of offroad are you planning to do? If it's semi fun (not just fire roads and stream crossings), you want to get something with an actual selectable locker (not limited slip called a locker, but an actual locker) in at least the rear.

I think the H3 has one, but it's sorta under powered and good aftermakert suspension and other mods don't really exist for them.

Other good options to look at would be the FJ crusier (I know, trendy, but it's basically a tacoma chassis with lockers which is good) or the jeep wrangler (rubicon would be your best bet they've got lockers front and rear). If you need more space, just get the four door rubicon.

All of these guys won't leave you stranded/stuck in the middle of nowhere as long as you drive them responicibly offroad (ie easy on the stupid pedal).

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I thought an H3 is just a colorado pickup truck chasis with an ugly box body on it!

the hummers suck off road! H1's were the chit off road with their ground clearance but the H2's and H3's are just boxy bodied versions of other GM vehicles. Nothing special!

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
You can get Tacomas, Tundras, and 4Runners with legit lockers. The Rubicon Wranglers have them front and rear along with a true low-gear transfer case, heavy duty axles, and 31" MTs all stock.

EDIT: H1s suck offroad too. They are 4 wheel independent suspension, heavy, long and low, and underpowered.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I vote Jeep Unlimited Rubicon. It will out perform the H3 any day of the week. And if you really have the money, sink the extra 20k into the Jeep and you could make it a competition grade truck.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I was thinking I need another vehicle, and I have been thinking about Hummer, something like the H3.

Any suggestions?
hey man - I own an h3 and I'll tell you what I think. The H3 is a fun car to have. I have enjoyed mine and it's GREAT off road. However the H3's biggest problem is it's under powered. The inline 5 blows - I'm planning on trading the hummer in next year for a new 4 door wrangler.

If you buy one I'm sure you will have a great time off road just be ready for it to drag ass in the mountains

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Tacoma, nuff said. I laugh at H3's stuck on the side of the road on the way to the mountain.... Plus, it's not a hummer!