Quantcast

Should i move up to sport?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
im third out of thirteen in my category and im not sure whether or not i want to move up to sport or stay with beginner. A lot of my times are close to second place (or whatever place is in front of me) and most of the races something has broken, but i think i have most of that worked out by now.

Thanks

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I didn't no you were in bigginner! Thats gatta suck
If you're third right now when you move to sport you will most likely be last place but it will proble give you more experince. I personaly would atleast win 1 of the bigginer class before moving up to sport.

Assuming you're racing in the AMBS, then beginner and sport are the only 2 categories that contain junior. If I remember correctly, the sport juniors could pretty much finish first in any race against the other people their age. You would also have to do 3 laps instead of 2. For now I suggest staying in beginner.

You might want to compare your lap time with those of the sport riders to see where you fit.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya just like i said and who the hell are you Justin W you live in Montreal in the summer?

Originally posted by JMAC
Ya just like i said and who the hell are you Justin W you live in Montreal in the summer?
Who am I? Well... I'm Justin. I lived in Montreal for about 15 years, and then moved to Virginia. I spend most of my vacations visiting Montreal, and in the summer I stay there too, but sometimes I go to my country house in the Eastern Townships. In Quebec I usually ride at Bromont and Mt. Royal, but sometimes I go down to Vermont.

That's pretty much everything, I guess.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by JustinW

You might want to compare your lap time with those of the sport riders to see where you fit.
yup it's AMBS, compared a while ago, if i added an extra lap time and factored in how much energy i had i figured i would finish in the top 3 at pretty much every race.

Do you race AMBS?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Move up. It is not all about winning, it is about challenging yourself and pushing your limits. If you are consistantly finishing 2nd and 3rd then it is time to compete in a different class. Maybe not this season but certainly next season. Being a sandbagger is not good - too bad there aren't very specific criteria for you to base your decision on. Anyhow - good luck!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Move up. It is not all about winning, it is about challenging yourself and pushing your limits. If you are consistantly finishing 2nd and 3rd then it is time to compete in a different class. Maybe not this season but certainly next season. Being a sandbagger is not good - too bad there aren't very specific criteria for you to base your decision on. Anyhow - good luck!
well actually if these are norba races there is very specific criteria outlined for upgrading.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I can't beleive i'm stuck here in Quebec when it's cold and no more racing it sucks. And you guys are racing still Quebec sucks!:evil:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JustinW

please don't make statements like that ok? b/c that's not going to matter dick shiet in the long run of things. you maybe able to push out one lap as fast as a sport rider but you aren't going to necessarly be able to keep up w/ them the duration of the race b/c you do not have the experience nor the endurance like most of them will vs. you. there are races i go out to and we have TT's the day before sometimes and my laps might not be to far off of what the local pro's n semi's are pushing but that doesn't mean i shoudl move up to semi pro or pro just b/c a single lap time or 2 says that the times are fairly accurate. normally when you start moving up your laps increase, that one or 2 extra laps can make a bigggggg difference whether you may think so or not. but pat, try n finish out the year in beginner, or maybe do the last race or 2 of the season racing sport and see how you handle it, then make it your goal through the winter to train to get ready for next season as a sport racer. if you are a junior you may want to race beg. senior men 19-24 just to kinda get a feel how the pace is going to be.

WoodyUpstate

Chimp
Oct 10, 2002
Upstate NY
If you consistently finish in the top 5 of a field 10 strong, or better, it's time to move up - IMO. If you have 5, top-5s in fields of 15 or greater you MUST move up, according to NORBA rules.

I podiumed at Mt. Snow (XC) last year as a beginner and soon after moved up to sport. Yeah, those guys are fast - a lot faster than the beginner guys. But so what?

In sport I get to ride more as the races are longer. More time on the bike is always a good thing. In sport I have something to motivate me as there are always guys faster than me. In sport I don't feel so much like. . . a beginner.

Keep your goals and expectations in check and ride for fun. Then it won't matter which class you ride in.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
i decided to move up, i finally beat the guy i've been trying to beat all year. but now i have to pay an extra $2 for entry fee.:D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I don't really care about beating certain people i try mainly on beating my previous race time cause i caer more about improving than beating someone cause i'm in for the long hull and want to be pro one day.;)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya and every kind of MTbing and basketball and football and Hockey and snowboarding and surfing and baseball.:D :D ;)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
Ya and every kind of MTbing and basketball and football and Hockey and snowboarding and surfing and baseball.:D :D ;)
ummmmm dude i think you took it a bit out of control w/ basketball, football, and baseball espically......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
We definently invented basketball. It always on this little candain heritage adds. We of coarse never got good at it i geuss the Americans like it more. Thats not the point, the points is canadians have the best bikers also the french are really good and Americans i don't think so :rolleyes: i think it's just because we have so much more land than you to bike on.:monkey:

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Didn't see you at the race last weekend. Right after i got back from the race, i went to go look for my dad, who was racing too, and some guy who was still racing said some other guy fainted and ran into a tree, so me and the first place guy(i got second) got volunteered into going to look for him, we went 3 miles out until we saw the pros coming around, we were across the lake, so we could hear people being called to the podium. anyway, i looked at the results and you finished 2 minutes ahead of me, or somebody who's first name is justin and last name starts with a W did.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
poor farm? last time i raced there, my seat fell off for who knows what reason, so i had to finish the last 15 minutes standing up hoping i didn't get raped by the seatpost.