Quantcast

Should I trade my girlfriend's bike?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I really need a woman's perspective on this on.

About a year ago I bought my GF her first mountain bike in hopes of us being able to ride together. She was stocked and apart from being scared she seemed to like it. The problem is that a year and a half ago she was in a really bad car accident and suffered severe wip lash. Her neck hasn't really gotten any better since then. So as you can imagine riding her bike puts her in a lot of pain. Consequently she hasn't riden the bike since July and has no desire to ride it any more. There is now a nice layer of dust on her barely ridden brand new bike. I've totally given up on even asking her if she wants to ride anymore.

So with that said, a friend of mine has recently really wanted to start mountain biking. He has also just bought a brand new Trek 2200 (road bike) and would like to trade his new road bike for my GF's mountain bike. It's a really good deal for me and I've been wanting a road bike too. I asked my girl about the trade and she said she didn't really care, but said she wished she could ride her bike if it wasn't so painfull.

So is that girl code for trade my bike and die or is she just pretending like she still wants to ride because she knows I love riding so much?

Sorry for the legnth of this, but the details are important.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Ooo, that's a toughie. It could be code or she could really wish that she could ride, but realizes it's not going to happen anytime soon. I'd say that only you can read her body languge, tone of voice, etc to know what the case really is. If you believe she really doesn't mind, to be on the safe side, you could tell her that when her neck heals and if she wants to start riding again you guys can get her another rig at that time. Good luck and sorry to hear about her accident :(

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yah, I second that. There is no telling what she really feels/thinks/wants if she isn't going to really say. You know her best.

I'd kill you if you traded my bike. :)

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Well at least disecting the unspoken words of a woman isn't just hard for me.

How do I read body language on something like this?

She has really only expressed a desire to ride when we go to Mammoth in the summer (she's more DH punk than me!). Going down doesn't hurt as much as going up hill. So I told her I could rent her a rig when we go, but then her skills will be shot from not ridding. Ahh, it's a tuff one.

Heidi said:
I'd kill you if you traded my bike. :)
Thats what I'm afraid of

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Heidi said:
I'd kill you if you traded my bike.
ncrider said:
Thats what I'm afraid of
Just remember to consider the source of that comment ;) I'd flip if my husband even thought about selling one of bikes without replacing it....but that's because I'm a bike whore and have nightmares and cold sweats if I'm without one of my bikes for more than a few days! :p

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Freak said:
PFFFT!!! :nope: :nuts: You're number 1!!!! :D
But see, I know you would never do that, you even respect the "please don't make changes to my bike without telling me" rule.....all part of why I married you .... DORK! :blah: :D

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Velocity Girl said:
Ooo, that's a toughie. It could be code or she could really wish that she could ride, but realizes it's not going to happen anytime soon. I'd say that only you can read her body languge, tone of voice, etc to know what the case really is. If you believe she really doesn't mind, to be on the safe side, you could tell her that when her neck heals and if she wants to start riding again you guys can get her another rig at that time. Good luck and sorry to hear about her accident :(

I'm with VG on this. I'd say if her body language and tone of voice don't indicate that she's saying on ething and meaning another, go for it...but back it up with when she feels better, you'll get her another bike. It's such a buyer's market right now with bikes getting spec'd better and better for less $$, you can probably get her a better bike than what she has. Good luck! :)

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
dhjill said:
It's such a buyer's market right now with bikes getting spec'd better and better for less $$, you can probably get her a better bike than what she has. Good luck! :)
Yeah thats anouther thing. Even since I got her the bike she has, I've seen bikes with far better specs for less.

I think I'll give her the finally choice, but let her know that when she is ready and healed I'll get her anouther bike.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
how about this? Set the bike up so it's more comfortable for a whiplashed person. I was whiplashed and recovering when I got my first mtb. We set up really upright like a comfort bike. As I got better we took the spacers out and slowly lowered the handlebars.

gg

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If someone is serious about a sport, they continue doing it despite injuries. A friend got into a serious motorcycle accident, putting him on disability for 6 months. He started riding his DH bike on the walking trails in our area before he started riding off road again.

Should you trade your GF's bike? On one hand, this goes back to buying a gf a bike in the first place. Every bike mechanic has a story about buying his gf a nice bike and how she never rides it. Usually the end of the story is how they break up and he is out the cost of the bike.

On the other hand, a bad relationship move is to sell a gift. If she offered to give you back the bike, thats cool and you can make your trade. But that bike might have sentimental value which you do not realized. Or represent hope for future recovery.

If you are serious about this girl, probably best bet is pass on the trade. If another bike is more important, well, at least by breaking up you get a nice bike....

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Maybe another option is to take her to some bike shops and see if there is anything out there more comfortable given her injuries. I don't know what she's on now, but maybe a full suspension if she doesn't already have one would help. Maybe even a little different geometry. Maybe offering to take her out to some shops, finding something that is more comfy and letting her know it's her's when she's ready to ride again would make a trade a little easier. It's easy to say, "I'll get you another bike." But it might be taken better by her if you go through some of the preliminary steps to finding her something better. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
What has she done to try to help her with her injury? Has she tried a Chiropractor? They can be real quacks, but some are good and offer quite a bit of relief to get her to enjoy the outdoor life again. On the flip side trade the bike, with the agreement of when she's better you'll get her a new bike.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Sell it.

NOthing wrong with getting rid of something they aren't using as long as you are not saying she can't get a new one is she wants to get back on that horse.

I guess it depends on your relationship. Was it truely a gift to her or was it a bike for her. If you two are really close (alsmost married types) getting rid of it shouldn't be an issue. If you are still a flighty couple than trading off "her" bike could piss her off BIG time.

:D

I'd sell it. :) I would ask if it was OK.....aka not behind her back.

downhill24/7

Chimp
Jan 31, 2005
Boulder
dhjill said:
It's such a buyer's market right now with bikes getting spec'd better and better for less $$, you can probably get her a better bike than what she has.
When I saw this dude i was gonna say no dont sell it, but she makes a good point, u got that bike in the first place, with ur job and all if you;ll get more use out of a road bike, which im sure u will..then charge, you tell me all the time how mindblowing it is the way bike've evolved in the last decade, even since the milenium. im sure u can find something better, maybe something used, she doesnt need something that great, just smoothe...
maybe look at craigslist.com, ive scene some good stuff in there, i think thats where we got becka's hardtail..oh well good luck man, by the way go to the gallery and look at what orven said about his marzocchi experience, ill be sooo pissed if marzocchi denies it, cuz its totally not my fault