Quantcast

Should we have a Super D race on the Saturday before 5 K DH?

Should Whiteface host a Sup D race the day before the 5 k dh?

• Yes. I have been waiting for a Super D race on the east coast

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Not if I have to bring 2 bikes

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Whiteface is just too far

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The 5th Annual 5 K DH will be on Sunday September 6, 2010.

We are considering having a Super D race on Saturday September 11, 2010.

For our Super D course a 5 inch travel bike would be best.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The super d course would be on the lower mountain using trails 6 & 7. Le Mans style start.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Well it looks like we won't be having a ds race before the 5 K DH, so we thought this would be fun. Tons of Super D races out west.

The race would start at our pump track then go into the woods for the entire course. These 2 trails that will be used are beautiful trails that most downhillers visiting Whiteface may have never seen. I will look for some pictures of these trails.

If we do go with a Le Mans style start all cat 1, 2 and 3 would be released at different times, then the pros. So just a Le Mans start for each category. Right?

VooDooHoo,
You need to add another link to your posts. Maybe saying "Size does matter!" with a link to Whiteface.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
No doubt. The big super d race would be on the Saturday before the 5 K DH on 9-11-10.

We are having 3 other small super d races on Thursdays this year, to get locals into USAC racing.

Our mini series has a race each Thursday in July and August. Mini dh, mini ds and this year a mini super d series. The small races are way chill, timed by us and very local.

We like to try as many things as possible and see what works. The pump track challenges didn't work last year so we are not going with those again. Too bad as they were pretty cool.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Northstar at Tahoe has occasional Super D races the day before the DH races. They typically have a low turnout but anyone who enters is always super stoked afterward. Hopefully they catch on more!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
VooDooHoo,
You need to add another link to your posts. Maybe saying "Size does matter!" with a link to Whiteface.

I'll pm you my address where you can send the check:)

I wonder if superD will ever catch on? I thought originally it was to bring together xc and dh for competition.

Courses always seems to favor one or the other. If your not having xc races on the same weekend favor DH (NO CLIMBS).

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Done. I had Platty stickers on our counter last year. I think Plattekills great and that Lazlo has done a ton for our sport. No problem there dude.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Title changed to this:
Should we have a Super D race on Saturday 9-11? The day before the 5 K DH.

Thanks

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
FYI.This thread was started in 2009.
Our next opportunity to put on a Super D race is on Saturday June 16, 2012 during the Wilmington/Whiteface Bike Fest. Maybe do a pre registration only for the Super D to see if there will be enough interest to pay for itself?

Weekend Events already include:

* Whiteface 100 qualifier for the Leadville 100. Possibly 800 participants.
* Jump Jam. Possibly 100 combined participants and spectators.
* Whiteface Uphill Road race. Always 350+ roadies + spectators.
* Big Whiteface DH race on Sunday 6-18,2012 (details tba). This would add another 200 to 250 racers.
* Super D race on Saturday June 17?

I guess it would be cool to have over 1,500 cyclist competing in DH, SD, X-C and DJ's.

I would like to add that the town of Wilmington. N.Y. is really doing everything they can to become the next mountain biking destination. I know there are a few mt. bike meccas in some other parts of the country, but the more destinations the better!

Last edited: