Quantcast

Shoulder tweakage.

R

Rabie

Ok, so I'm not looking for any real diagnosis here (unless you have one), but rather to see if this is a common problem, or something strange I should look further into. While playing basketball yesterday for the first time in about two years, I noticed that I'd get sharp pains in my shoulders every time I raised my arms over my head. Like to shoot, block shots, rebound, etc. The pain seemed to be localized along a ridge from the top of my shoulders around to the backs of them. It was also fairly difficult to control or stabilize the motion of my arms above this point, like my arms just wouldn't do what I wanted them to once they were above my head.

Now, since pretty much my only sort of exercise has been riding for the time since I haven't played basketball (two years), I'm thinking that there's one of two things going on. Either a) riding has built up certain areas of shoulder muscle while allowing others to weaken, making the novel motion uncomfortable, or b) riding downhill exclusively on a hardtail has taken a toll on my shoulders and there's some real damage going on.

Does anyone have any experience which could shed some light on this?

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Sounds exactly like rotator cuff weakness or tendonitis. You'd be in a lot more pain if they were torn.

While I'd start right into a rotator cuff strengthening regime, you might want to first consult an orthopedic surgeon.

If you don't want to go to the doc's, search the 'net for a workout plan. You should be using 3-5 pound weights, sets of 12-15 reps.

R

Rabie

Originally posted by Jorvik
Sounds exactly like rotator cuff weakness or tendonitis. You'd be in a lot more pain if they were torn.

While I'd start right into a rotator cuff strengthening regime, you might want to first consult an orthopedic surgeon.

If you don't want to go to the doc's, search the 'net for a workout plan. You should be using 3-5 pound weights, sets of 12-15 reps.
Thanks. I'll look into a strengthening program. I'll probably be too lazy to follow it, but it's good to know there's something I might be able to do should I get motivated.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I have the same problems :mad: ,and I have had one shoulder redone ,and the other one is hurting ,this is called an inpingement (sp?) ,this can be from several things ,so if it really bothers you go see a Bone Doc ;) ;) because my specialty is gynocology :p :p :p :p

R

Rabie

Originally posted by shocktower
I have the same problems :mad: ,and I have had one shoulder redone ,and the other one is hurting ,this is called an inpingement (sp?) ,this can be from several things ,so if it really bothers you go see a Bone Doc ;) ;) because my specialty is gynocology :p :p :p :p
Yeah, in looking for strengthening exercises online, I came across some diagnostic tests, and it looks like impingement is a possibility. If it gets worse, I might go see a doc... everyone I've talked to with shoulder problems seems to agree that they don't just get better on their own.